YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
As you can see I'm Portuguese but I'll go to the University of Hertfordshire in October so I thought I should start to know more about UK diving, dive sites, everything... I know I won't be in the best place for diving but I hope to meet some divers there, join a Club... and even proceed with my training if possible.
Cheers,
Hugo

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Hi Hugo
Welcome to YD:)
I'm sure you'll love UK diving and be able to link up with some people to dive with once you are over here.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Hi Hugo,

Welcome to YD. The Uni should have a BSAC club. The UK is great diving and I hope you have a wonderful time.

Chris

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Hi Hugo. I live 100km north from you (V.N Cerveira). First welcome to Yd, it's a great place to meet divers and share information, especially if you planning to go to the Uk.

UK diving is not too different from the conditions around Northern Portugal/Galicia. The big difference is the way it's done. It's more club orientated for example. Also the tides have a large effect on the type of diving which means can end up diving at odd hours. As for equipment it's est to have a dry suit and you must have (and know how to use) a SMB.

Who do you normally dive off Porto? Have you done the U-boat U-1277 off Leixões? If you want to meet for a dive let me know, my dive patch tends to be the Cies islands off Vigo bay.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to YD. The Uni should have a BSAC club. The UK is great diving and I hope you have a wonderful time.
I also thought that but at least on their website there's no diving club... lets see...

The big difference is the way it's done. It's more club orientated for example. Also the tides have a large effect on the type of diving which means can end up diving at odd hours. As for equipment it's est to have a dry suit and you must have (and know how to use) a SMB.
No problems with that. I've spent one year in Ireland and dived there with the University's club. And I have SMB and a dry suit. I'd be crazy not to have one in these waters. Although I've seen a lot of divers in wetsuits in Ireland!

Who do you normally dive off Porto? Have you done the U-boat U-1277 off Leixões? If you want to meet for a dive let me know, my dive patch tends to be the Cies islands off Vigo bay.
Well... With whoever is going diving! I started with EMN but I've also dived with Mergulhomania, Barbatana, AveiroSub... Sure I've been to the U-boat! It's a great dive! I think there's a dive club in Caminha or so, isn't there? I've recently started going more to Peniche as well.

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Hello Hugo and firstly welcome to YD. Being at a Uni club will mean that you will get trips to both the inland sites, and also to the sea, so you will get to experience the best of both sides of diving in the UK.. This is a good thing :)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Hugo,

a warm welcome to YD, I hope you enjoy the boards.

Safe diving,
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts