YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi guys I'm a newly certified Padi OWD I'm south west based very near the city of Bath so far ive logged 9 dives for a total time of 272 mins & I am still an airpig. Ive Allways wanted to dive but have only just got the chance now that the familly are getting older.
Dont get much chance to go diving as I allways struggle midweek getting dive companions tho I am working on a few trainy dive masters at the local quarry

Have yet to get the courage up to venture into the sea but would dearly love to try a shore dive from swanage peir as I've heard the fish there are plentyfull.
Any information or encouragement welcome.
I would just like to thank  Bren for the invite to this forum.
Kindest Regards
Martin    

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Martin,

You are indeed welcome to YD mate, please feel to get in amongst it and ask any question you like, we will certainly help where we can. And remember, the daftest question is often the one you didn't ask.

If you need buddies, go to the 'Need a Buddy' section and post when next you can dive and where, you should have no trouble in getting responses.

Cheers,

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Welcome to the site mate,

See more friendly here than the other forum site you went on ,,,

Ask as many questions as you like , we are all here to help each other, don't take to heart with any pi** taken as we are all a friendly group that can take what we give out.

And by the way,,,,, you won't see vic on here.
have fun and enjoy reading all the posts, and i hope that someone from here in ya neck of the woods helps you out with some sploshing about in muddy puddles mid week.

Andy

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Martin Hi
unfortunately the experience you received both on the web site and the branch werent un-common. You might like to look at my comments on the 'club' page which I added in the hope that they can resolve their problems sooner rather than later.
I dont wish to get into bsac vs Padi as its been done to death.  
You will find buddies on here I am sure, you might even like to visit www.divernet.com they also have a buddy line, although most of us visit that as well, its also known as Handbagnet and the dark-side for reasons that will be obvious.

Generally its very friendly here if you stay out of the rebreather and dir forums  

Glad to see you arent about to give up, but you might find sea diving a bit restricted soon as we enter the end of the season for wet-suits.

There is a group meeting 5/10 at Stoney, look in planned trips, if you are interested.

Best of luck mate.

Matt

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Welcome to the mad bad world of YD Martin.

Another southerner, we must outnumber the norvern munkees by now.

Following on from your post "on the other side" you would have been received better at a BSAC club if you had a crowbar, backup crowbar, redundant backup crowbar and various sized club hammers all with quick releases.  

What a great start to diving forum life, wound em all up. Keep it up.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi Martin,

I can confirm that Swanage Pier is well worth a visit. Don't know why but I'm hooked on the place! Spent a few weekends down there this year, under the pier, drift and wreck diving! The fish are plentiful, but my favourite would have to be the Tompot Blenny. I would advise to get there early at the weekends as parking on the pier is limited. If you can't park on the pier you have to park up the hill, not a major drama though. During the week you should be able to park ok. If you need any further info  please don't hesitate to contact me.

All the best,

Ian

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Nice tompot pics - [ Tom then said a bad thing that he's edited out ]

Tom

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Martin,

Saw the response you got from BSAC - I trust we can be a little more welcoming here!

I'm up in Manchester so can't be too much help as a buddy, but perhaps we'll meet on one of the many YD gigs. I trust Daz and the Bristol Massive (together with all the other shandy drinkers down there - there's plenty of you) should be able to get you in the water regularly.

See you some time. Safe diving.

Mark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Shandy drinkers jeez not in my league then!!

I'm a confirmed rough cider geezer if its not made with apples I aint interested apart from the stella obviousley.
As for the darker side there seem to be some good guys in bsac but like most so called governing bodies of sport it seems to be full of old farts who probably dive 3 times a year if their lucky but seem to have this dyed in the wool attitude of how it has to be done & woe betide anyone who seeks a more useable route through their collective bullshit.
I wont be rejoining any bsac branch, all my further training will be paid for up front by me through my local dive centre which is here My local divecentre  that way I get customer satisfaction.
What realy has pissed me off about it all is I use my real name on these forums! Imagine the stick I'm going to get if I try to join another BSAC branch or even turn up to the one I'm already a member of
their gonna think I'm a james hunt arent they.
[email protected]

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

No Worries Martin mate,

looks like you'll fit in just fine here. Hope to see you on a dive soon.

Dive safe and good luck with all you future courses.

Cheers,

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Ian - I was surprised by the lighting & reflections and a couple of other things.

Sorry if I cast aspersions on your character & implied you were a faroe island whale hunter or anything....

nice pics anyway.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (diving dude @ Sep. 16 2003,00:32)]Another southerner, we must outnumber the norvern munkees by now.

Following on from your post "on the other side" you would have been received better at a BSAC club if you had a crowbar, backup crowbar, redundant backup crowbar and various sized club hammers all with quick releases.  

Surely you are referring to the scientifically calculated integrated weight system

Nice to see that bsac or padi you all desire to be known as Yorkshire Divers

BTW Has anyone ever found a starboardhole??

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Martin,

I am based in Bristol and at the moment I am pretty busy trying to complete my AI and working with my instructor mate on weekends but I do try to get a proper pleasure dive in as often as I can.

I'll let you know if I have anything planned.  Also Mikael (mikehammer66) who is also on YD is based in Bath and after I introduced him to the wonders of Vobster he thinks it is great (Proper character building diving).

Daz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts