YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm back.
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi everyone, visited the site coupla times but thought I'd better be polite and intro myself at last!

Been diving for 4 years but almost exclusively red sea (having said that, 3 trips last year).  First drysuit dive at horsea on sunday (HOW much weight??) on my way to diving more and more in uk at last (bout time, fair weather diver etc etc...)

Hopfully see some of you down there....

Si
ps. what do you lot reckon to ankle weights? help or hindrance? (blimey, thats a bit inflamatory for a first post!)

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Ankle weights - it just depends on the person, although I would say that most people in a CORRECTLY fitting suit do not need them. I use them because the legs of my suit are too long and with the weights I can hold a perfect horizontal stop.

Welcome to YD.

Juz

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Welcome aboard Simon
Nothing like starting off with a splash......

Ankle weights - never used them, never needed to use them.
Ensure that your weight is appropriately distributed to suit your diving ( I use a weight harness, plus a weight in my bcd as counterbalance for my pony cyilnder.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Welcome to YD...and good to see the first question in already.

I think ankle weights are only useful if your finning technique pushes a lot of air into your boots and lower calf area. If the suits a good fit you shouldn't need them, but many people, including me, use them.

I use ankle weights, a belt and also have 1kg on each shoulder pouch. I find this gives me a good balance in the water, especially as I like to be horizontal during my safety/deco stops.

Enjoy YD

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Simon,

Welcome to YD! And feel free to ask any questions you like - regardless of how daft you might feel they might be, any answers you might get will invariably help both yerself and others.

Also see Planned Trips and get youself on a dive with us soon!

Cheers,

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Simon,

Some people need ankle weights, some people don't need ankle weights and some people don't need them but use them anyway!  Why?  Because that is how they started and they have never tried without them.

Without wishing to cause offence to any old, bold ankle weight users, I have heard them likened to stabilisers on a bike.  They can make using a drysuit easier to begin with but once mastered they may not be required.

Some people just have floaty feet and can't do without them.

Whatever works for you and you are most comfortable with, stick with it, but reassess every so often.

Daz

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>simon,
welcome to yd and i would be one of the old,bald,bold ankle weight users daz was refering to.....

cheers
barrie

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bang-on @ April 14 2004,16:26)]simon,
welcome to yd and i would be one of the old,bald,bold ankle weight users daz was refering to.....

cheers
barrie
And no demand for an apology  

I apologise in advance anyway  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Simon
Welcome aboard yd, you will soon learn to love nil vil and hypothermia as much as we do.

Re  the ankle weights thing, i am with Daz. I thought i needed some when i started cos my feet are a bit floaty but people told me to try to learn without and i never used them. In fact i tried some recently and they were aweful!

enjoy

Jules

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Simon

Just saying a polite hello as I like to offend people in person! May see you at the YD Gig in Anglsey.

James  

·
I'm back.
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

Thanks for all the comments and help!

Think I'll practise without till I've tried everything else then.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Hi Simon!

And welcome to YD!

I'm afraid I can't help you with the weight issue as I have yet to do my first drysuit dive....I know, I know...I must do it soon!!!!!!

Anyway, make your self at home

Scubachick

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Welcome, Simon! I'd certainly try to manage without ankle weights if you can but if you feel you need them, that's your business and no-one else's. With the suit I'm using at present, I do personally need them, with my previous suit I didn't. It's as simple as that, and I'm not a novice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Imported post

Welcome Simon,

When I started dry suit diving I used the suit for buoyancy control and found I needed ankle weights, I decided to go back to using the BCD for buoyancy and as a result no longer require them.

As has been said before, this is a personal thing. Give it a try with them and try again without. If you require them, so be it........ lots of people do.

Anyway, get stuck in and enjoy YD.

/Colin.  

1 - 14 of 14 Posts