YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Could anyone here tell how to test the ballast from a HID torch to see if it is faulty or not. My c/d HID keeps flicking on and off, its not the bulb so its either a dodgy connection in the light head or the ballast.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

It's probably where the cable is crimped in the gland to get the seal.  It only happens on the head unit because you're always moving it about, whereas the battery unit gland stays in the same position all the time.  I've had to replace the cable on mine because it got too short to use after cutting a couple of inches off every time the cable broke.  Try testing the cable continuity.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Ok not the ballest at fault, the feed wire has come away from the switch (dodgy c/d soldering). Only problem now is to repair it I have got to remove the switch which is held in place by a grub screw which is siezed solid and may need drilling out. Nothing ever goes my way

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

You'll need to take it to someone in engineering to get the grub screw out, it's tiny and goes all of the way through.  I hacksawed mine off and got another from C/D but they didn't want to send me the bits.  They think that nobody else is competent enough to repair them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You'll need to take it to someone in engineering to get the grub screw out
Thats kind of lucky as I am an engineer  

1 - 5 of 5 Posts