YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

How come in a group of 5 at 35 metres at night, with Green force (2), Light cannon (2) and Custom Diver (1) HID torches, Mine (Custom divers) looks like a candle compared to the others ?. Most impressive out of the group was the Light cannon considering price and the abuse i've seen one of them getting.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>what cd have u got. Problem with greenforce is there over bright but underpowered. If u have the CD 10 watt hid its got a burn time of about 6 hours, green force is about 1 and a half. (ish) Also cd beam seems to be whiter and narrower than the green force beams. You can see it for further, etc.

Some of the kowalski non hids are brighter for a shorter distance but only last 45 minutes before they need a couple of hours charge!

Remeber the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. (is that a bladerunner quote??)

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I've got the 10w 3.7 HID. I think i might have over reacted the other night after getting loads of stick from the others on the dive. I love my torch. Greenforce = gold/ green shiny shite, Light cannon = plastic, cheap bendy handle shite.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Just looking at Ben's post.

Him - CD 10w torch
Me - Greenforce 20w torch

His - nice white beam - very narrow - little difusion - cool
Mine - Huge beam - huge difusion - probably a bit too powerful (don't point lamp at computer and expect to see for five minutes afterwards) - fairly cool

His - cool for what we generally use it for
Mine - better for adaptability for hols etc.

Both good lamps.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Imported post

Mine a light cannon It may be cheap plastic but look at the price less than £150.00 you can buy 3 for the price of some hid lamps and you can use it out of the water.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Imported post

I recently bought a CDH5 7.4 10W HID and have dived with it a couple of times. I must say I have been absolutely underwhelmed with it and am very disappointed. I was diving with a buddy who was using a 50W MetalSub umbilical and his torch blew the CD away ! It was substantially brighter and had a wider beam. Back to the drawing board methinks    

·
Registered
365 Posts
Imported post

Hi All,
Bought a UK LiteCannon about 6 months ago (after checking out the usual Halogen lamps etc).  Can't comment on CD or Greenforce as I've not seen them in action.  The LiteCannon a very good lamp.  Lots of output for very little drain (10w drain giving 25w output). My mate uses a Kowalski 50w (which costs a packet), I can now play the 'mines is bigger than yours' game with him again.   Most of the more expensive 50w (non HID) lamps out there only give a burn time of around 40mins between charges, which is a fat lot of good if you want 2 dives.  Don't waste your money buying the rechargable Litecannon, it uses NiCad cells (memory effect, yes it does exist. I should know, it happened to me) and costs around £60-£70 more than the non rechargeable.  Best to get the non rechargeable and buy 8 C cell NiMH batteries (no memory effect) and a charger (about £50).  This works a treat.  I've so far dived 3x 30min+ dives without a recharge on mine.  The other advantage is that if one of the batteries packs up it can be replaced for about £3, as opposed to the replacement of the entire battery pack for the rechargeable unit (£60+), like what happened to my old UK800r (£110 to replace the battery, £125 for new torch and battery).

Only prob with HID over Halogen etc is that the bulb costs around £80 to replace OUCH!!(but should last much longer).  The LiteCannon does feel cheap but does take some amount of abuse. I've bashed mine off every rock between Glasgow and Oban and it still works fine.  Its a well weighted torch under water also.

For all those wishing a very bright torch for around £100, buy a good british built torch, visit
http://www.birchleyproducts.co.uk/products/page4.html

The missus is thinking of taking diving up, so I'll probably buy her one (I really want one myself but can't justify buying yet another torch (4 so far)).

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Like Steph I went for the non-recharg Lite Cannon and very good it is too.  16 rechargable batteries and charger for 70 squids and I'm sorted.  (But, Up against the Spotlight that is the Halcyon Lead-acid cannister HID torch it is totally out-muscled).

I'ts still a darn good torch and its backed-up with the Ikelite PCa which takes 6 AA bateries and gives excellent beam!

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

I've got to admit that the Light cannon is value for money, being a clumsy git i probably should have got one of them it's just the hand design isn't very solid, I've broken the handle off another Underwater Kinetics torch that i've got. The advantages of the C/D hid are the size of it ( who said bigger is better) and the lack of charging it needs.

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Imported post

I have the HID 10w Green Force with the F2 battery and as far as I know the burn time is 4 hours. The battery fits into a NAS pouch and is attached to the belt on my harness, the head sits on the back of my hand so I have hands free. The holder for the head is also a NAS product. (but I guess you all new that, didn't you ;) )

Ali  

·
Registered
599 Posts
Imported post

Try    DIGIBATTERY.co.uk
they have C cells 3500mah and chargers

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Good battery site Nigel. I've been looking for batteries for another project, these are close enough.  The battery pack for the C/D torch has longer than AA size in it.  Who knows what they are?. And does the 7.2 C/D torch just have even more of the same battery in it?.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

After me slagging off my little C/D HID torch, i have to take the slagging back.  I dived with someone the other night who has the bigger version of mine and it is unbelievable the amount of light it throws out.  It made mine look even sillier, It is the same torch as mine but with a bigger battery.  There must be something wrong with mine. I also noticed mine doesn't make 'light sabre' noises unless that was my mate taking the p**s.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

I suppose i was narked when i saw you licking the head unit and kissing it as well. It's too big to use sensibly and who needs a torch that you only need to put on the charger 4 times a year

1 - 17 of 17 Posts