YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've had my heart set on some of these bands for my recently arrived (though as yet unseen) twin 10s and I've just had a troubling thought.  I'm pretty sure that my man at the dive shop has ordered me MDE valves on each of the cylinders as I eventually intend to try them as a manifolded set.  

Presumably therefore, MDE valves mean that you must use an MDE manifold - something that I had thought to be a well-known, reliable and safe product.  Right, no problems there then.  Only thing is though, that I was positive that I'd read about about Highland bands being used in conjunction with MDE manifolded tanks by someone(s); yet I can't MDE on the compatibility chart of the only-just-seen-it Highland website!!

Perhaps I'm being paranoid as, prior to reading about "the anatomyof a tank band", I'd certainly never thought there could be so much to them!  Or, more importantly, so much that could go awry if you don't use the correct ones. Observe:http://www.highland-millwork.com/products/doubleband/anatomy/anatomy.html
- 'kin hell!

I suppose what I'm saying in a nutshell (something you may have realised by now that I'm not used to using!) is:

1) Do MDE valves necessitate an MDE manifold
2) If it does, have I doomed myself to Highland Millwork-  
  free diving as a result!?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

1) Do MDE valves necessitate an MDE manifold

No!

2) If it does, have I doomed myself to Highland Millwork

No!

You need the #700 HM bands to fit a 190mm centre-centre and 178mm dia tanks.  drop Joe McGrath an e-mail at   [email protected] tell him exactly what tanks and manifold you have and he will confirm.  Don't take my word for it.  I'm doing this from memory and my memory isn't that good!

By the way, I'm told you can get HM bands in the UK from Abyss Dive Systems http://www.abyssuk.com/subcategories.asp?SessionID=940&Category=31

Good luck

The bands are excellent by the way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Nice one Bob, I'm pleased to hear that & have fired off a mail to yer maun at Highland!

cheers for the useful pointer
Mat

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Interesting link Ralphy, my reaction was same as you,  *kin hell!  Is all that really true or is there an element of scaremongering going on?  f

For instance I've no idea what make of bands are on my tanks as I got them S/H, so don't know if they're a "good" brand or not, I would assume they're decent enough as the manifold is an MDE, anyone know how to ID band brands ? (blimey, how nerdy is this post
 )

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Well I dunno Steve, but it certainly makes you think doesn't it?!  I've no doubt that everything they put in there is true, although what's harder to determine is exactly how much (or in other words how life-threatening), each of those things really matters!

From your point of view, I guess if your system works it works and I wouldn't worry about it.  As for IDing them - goodness knows, although I think Custom Divers have theirs stamped accordingly.  For me, I probably could go out and spend £30 on some perfectly adequate bands that will attach my tanks just as well, but now I've read all that, I'm suckered in to the talk of precision welds and manifold-specific tolerances!  Talk about a salesman's dream ...

Still, I have seen many many sets of tank bands that look less-than-stellar after only 2 or 3 diving seasons, so if the Highland bands are anything like as good as they boast and will indeed last a lifetime, then I'm buying!

And if they're good enough for GI3...  (actually, I can imagine some people NOT buying them just for that reason).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Well I dunno Steve, but it certainly makes you think doesn't it?!  I've no doubt that everything they put in there is true, although what's harder to determine is exactly how much (or in other words how life-threatening), each of those things really matters!

From your point of view, I guess if your system works it works and I wouldn't worry about it.  As for IDing them - goodness knows, although I think Custom Divers have theirs stamped accordingly.  For me, I probably could go out and spend £30 on some perfectly adequate bands that will attach my tanks just as well, but now I've read all that, I'm suckered in to the talk of precision welds and manifold-specific tolerances!  Talk about a salesman's dream ...

Still, I have seen many many sets of tank bands that look less-than-stellar after only 2 or 3 diving seasons, so if the Highland bands are anything like as good as they boast and will indeed last a lifetime, then I'm buying!

And if they're good enough for GI3...  (actually, I can imagine some people NOT buying them just for that reason).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.