YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Highlands and Islands of Scotland Watersports Survey

Did you visit the Highlands and Islands of Scotland on a diving trip last year? If you did you have the opportunity to influence the development of watersport facilities in the area by completing a short on-line questionnaire.

Highland & Island Enterprise, Scottish Natural Heritage and VisitScotland need more information about the number of visitors who take part in watersports such as diving, yachting and sailing, canoeing and surfing. The questionnaire takes a few minutes to complete and could win you £100 for your efforts along with better watersport facilities for everyone.

For more details visit the SSAC website news page
or go straight to the survey.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>What a laudable goal.

Sadly if we are talking about SNH, Visitscotland and H&I Enterprise that I have experience of then I would not waste your efforts folks; you would be better hitting your Heid offa brick wall.

We are talking here about the 3 most useless, top-heavy, politically correct, wasteful, profligate and despised quangos in Scotland.  Interested only in Job Creation schemes for "the boys", riven with internecine conflict and cowed by pressure from Westminster, Hollyrood and those who administer them with a view to maintaining the status quo.

They have a well diserved reputation for interference at the most fundemental level and of pissing away gargantuan quantities of our tax pounds on the most bizarre and questionable projects.

I must be honest here and admit to a biased point of view.  My family ran a 4 star and highly commended hotel on the Clyde estuary for 12 years.  The above mentioned organisations were nothing but a hinderance to the operation of a successful business for pretty much the whole time; all they seem capable of is one useless, meaningless and expensive survey/inniative/focus group after another. These are usually condudcted by outside "consultants" without one iota of experince in the tourist trade; GOD forbid that the people in the trade should be consulted for nowt!

Perhaps one day, if we are fortunate and the gods are kind, there will be an almighty bang unt flash and these meddling incompetants will be sucked up thier own fundemental orifface because they have just bent that wee bit to far in their latest navel gazing excersise!

You need not take my word for it.  Goto any on-line Scottish Paper and type in the names and you will see, in full technicolour, how universely hated these 3 are.

Needless to say my family is no longer in the business.  What with spiraling costs introduced by interfereing quangos and greedy councils it is no longer really viable to run a small seaside hotel in Scotland and make a decent living.

Those in St Abbs might take note( Re other post about raised parking charges).  This is a SOP for Scottish councils as a revenue generator, drivers and tourists are seen as nothin but walking wallets and the council's one avowed intent is to relieve them of their cash.  Bugger the consequences, views and the long term plans of local community and business.  And if you think that ring fencing of funds will be abided by then I have some lovely time shares in Baghdad you might be interested in.

Thanks for listening.  This has been a rant on behalf of the, now almost dead, Scottish Tourist Industry.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Don't hold back Ross - tell us how you REALLY feel!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Don't tempt me Pal.

I could tell yo stories about HIE that would make your eyes pop!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ross M @ Mar. 05 2004,14:12)]Thanks for listening.  This has been a rant on behalf of the, now almost dead, Scottish Tourist Industry.
On the other hand they may have mended their ways - anyway it's so rare that anyone asks what facilities you'd like to see as a diver it's worth telling them. The more that do the more likely they are to do something about it.

Admittedly you've had a rough ride with them, but it just might be worth telling them rather than putting everyone else off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts