YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Hire Kit

710 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Ian@1904 
#1 ·
Imported post

Hi
just out of interest what is the worst or best hire kit you have ever had.  E.G are there places where you can hire full tech kit or have you had some nightmare kit?

answers an a post card please.

DD

See less See more
#2 ·
Imported post

I think it depends on the LDS. I train with Wittering Divers, and all their kit is in good condition, all the tanks properly checked and marked etc. However, I have hired some kit from other places that has been bloody awful. Out of test cylinders is a personal hatred of mine, especially if I've been dumb enough to not check immediately.

Didn't take me long to build a complete set of my own kit for this very reason.

Gareth

#4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I remember a certain South Coast dive school that hired out kit that had more holes in it than swiss cheese, but the dive shop owner convinced the customer that the water was not that cold in october that they wouldnt need it all intact!
Scrupulous ?  not really

#5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Belushi @ Jan. 31 2004,08:04)]I remember a certain South Coast dive school that hired out kit that had more holes in it than swiss cheese, but the dive shop owner convinced the customer that the water was not that cold in october that they wouldnt need it all intact!
Scrupulous ?  not really
Steady mate

I was there too..........

I'm told things have improved over the last 5 or 6 years

but I still wouldnt go back

#6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>A couple of years ago having just completed my PADI OW I did some diving off Corfu, kit had no octopus or depth gauge.

Students were issued with a backplate but no bcd. Weight was added inside their wetsuits.

Different venue on Corfu, instructor took a family of four-all first time divers, down to 15m, wait for it................in the afternoon of the day they were flying home. Tour rep went mental when we met the family in the bar in the evening, flight switched, and all ended happily. Hire kit leaked like mad.

Same instructor on my first dive after OW-and I told him my specific limitations, and I was the only diver with him, took me to 27m (should have been 18m max). Terrific dive though!

Its is like many things. Once you have some experience you know what to look for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.