YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have been asked to pass on this information.....

On Sat 1/12/02, the Coastguard visited divers who were diving Loch Long (Scotland) as a way to make divers more aware of the Coastguards' duties.

My friend had a nice chat concerning the ever increasing diving incidents.

They now recommend that all divers contact the Coastguard before any type of diving begins with the following information:

* Dive site,
* number of divers in the party,
* boats - type and colour etc,
* and to inform them when the diving is over,

even though that there has been no incidents.

This also includes shore dives, as the Coastguard are trying to build up a picture of where and who are diving.

Thanks

Regards

Big Steph

(Edited by Big Steph at 11:07 pm on Dec. 8, 2002)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steph,

Same here, but i was asked " what can the C/G's do to help Divers "? at a interview back in Jan this year.

They are next year going out for PREVENTION rather than CURE for the new MCA policy, keeping the old men in jobs i think.

I do believe that in my area of Dover, we do get a lot of numpty's from other areas that may only dive 3 - 4 times a year and haven't a clue,so this has got to be a good idea.

Having had my father as a coastguard for 29 years, I'm all for it in a way, but are they SPYING for Sophia Excelby    ( ROW ) ready for another big clamp down ?,,, who knows.

We have a lot of local dive boats that DON'T imform the c/g of thier intentsions and have come unstuck.

As the Dover sac senior coxswain / boat officer or a 41' hard boat, i do my duty every time, it makes all onboard safe as possible if the poo should hit the fan, plus the local c/g , know who i am, so if any dive boats are in the poo, they do contact me for further info, as they do not have a list of local wrecks ( YET ), when dive craft don't know thier exact position when GPS goes down.

Also, it may keep tabs on divers that do not belong to clubs, this is getting bigger each year.

Roll on 2003 and lets all watch .....

Andy

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy

Have to agree with you on that. There was a group diving next to the Eastern entrance during the summer who ended up drifting into it. How to annoy Port control and commit suicide in one easy go. (For those who don't know Dover thats the entrance the bulk of the shipping including a ferry about every 5 min go in and out of).

There was also the boat that was told to go to the North of the North Cardinal Buoy just inside Western and replied "You want me to go NORTH of the North cardinal buoy" obviously not haveing a clue.

Those loose plates on the Loanda, is that on the Port side or more on the Starbard side?

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul,

All across the bow, we were moored up on winch when our boat swang and ripped it off the deck,,, ouch,

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy

Ta, i can imagine the amount of damage that hard boat of yours would do. What is the vis like? I've been stuck in lakes doing training the last month.

Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Imported post

Been working down in Cornwall, viz there is erhhh ( oOTW )
out of this world , heard viz on Loanda last week was a good 5,

Which boat do you mean ,,, Admiral Douglas or the crazy diamond ?

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy

5m or 5 inches?

The newer one, can't remember the name.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts