YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody any info on the HMS HERMES, sunk in WW1 close to France, I would like to know the position, any useful tips help re. the dive on her, curents, hazards etc. Thank you

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I've only dived her once and the viz was pretty poor, but I think Paul Oliver has dived her a few times, worth sending him a PM.

Juz

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
I'll sort some details out for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hms Hermes Experimental Sea Plane Carrier Ww1

Hi san paul,
i have just seen your post,if all things go ok ie weather,tides, "MAY BLOOM" and the "FRENCH" don,t tell us to "SOD OFF" i hope to be diving the the HMS hermes over a two day period, thursday/friday next week,i have some details on this craft i can send you, if you can spend the time or have a day free i will fit you in on the trip for a day or two (sorry about the short notice), from what i understand the wreck sits upside down but can be explored through breaks in the hull, again sorry about the late time of this email ,i am not a all night telly fan its just i have got back from diving today and have been washing out my rebreather /kit /and scooter unlike neil,peter of falcon saa who don,t wash there kit much and i recon don,t even wash under there arms,anyway if you want to come along let me know, all the best Gary

·
Registered
24 Posts

Hi san paul,
i have just seen your post,if all things go ok ie weather,tides, "MAY BLOOM" and the "FRENCH" don,t tell us to "SOD OFF" i hope to be diving the the HMS hermes over a two day period, thursday/friday next week,i have some details on this craft i can send you, if you can spend the time or have a day free i will fit you in on the trip for a day or two (sorry about the short notice), from what i understand the wreck sits upside down but can be explored through breaks in the hull, again sorry about the late time of this email ,i am not a all night telly fan its just i have got back from diving today and have been washing out my rebreather /kit /and scooter unlike neil,peter of falcon saa who don,t wash there kit much and i recon don,t even wash under there arms,anyway if you want to come along let me know, all the best Gary

·
Cut the crap and go diving!
414 Posts
HMS Hermes

I've dived her quite a few times over the last 5yrs or so, but haven't been there for a couple of years.

It's laying on the port side at the aft end of the wreck. The stern appears to be seperate, as it does just end, with no props. I've never seen them anyway. I'd take a guess it's missing from behind the last upper deck bulkhead area. There's a bit of a break midway along near the engine room that is collapsing down a bit and penetration is possible. Forward of that it is more over and closer to upside down where it seems to have twisted a bit. Max depth on the 4 hrs after HW Dover is 31m and it stands up to about 22-23m, the before HW would be +3m or so on that.

As with most wrecks there is the usual fishing line and old nets on her, but I don't remember it being any worse than normal. Vis is quite often very good near the Ruytingen sands and it's in the seperation zone.

Alan :)

·
Registered
24 Posts

31 October 1914(sunk)
Hermes, British, Highflyer class Second class Cruiser converted to Seaplane Carrier. Torpedoed by German submarine U27 whilst acting as an aircraft transport between Dover and France. First torpedo struck from a range of c.300 yards and as the cruiser was sinking by the stern a second torpedo hit her and she then sank quickly.I have pictures of her sinking and the crew doing a runner.

Displacement: 5,650 tons
Dimensions: 372 x 54 x 20.5 feet/113.4 x 16.5 x 6.3 meters
Propulsion: TE engines, 18 boilers, 2 shafts, 10,000 hp. 20 knots
Crew: -450
Armor: 1.5-3 inch deck, 6 inch CT
Armament: 11 6 inch, 9 12 pound, 6 3 pound, 2 18 inch TT
Aircraft: 2 seaplanes
Concept/Program: An obsolete protected cruiser converted as an experimental seaplane ship. She was initially converted as a trials ship for seaplanes, to test launching and recovery methods, and to develop tactics for use of aircraft in fleet operations. Following these trials she reverted to her cruiser configuration, but again embarked seaplanes at the start of WWI.
Class: A member of the Highflyer class.
Design/Conversion: Fitted with canvas aircraft shelters fore and aft, flying-off platforms, and hoisting booms. Otherwise unmodified. This equipment was removed in 1913 but refitted in 1914.
Operational: Operated in experimental and trials service 1913; her very limited WWI service included a period as an aircraft transport.
Departure from Service/Disposal: Sunk early in WWI.
AND I THINK THE CAPTAIN LIKED TWO SUGARS IN HIS TEA AND THE SECOND MATE SUPPORTED WEST HAM,if anyone has not been comatozed by this or in a deep sleep/or on the phone to the samaritans,please could they give out any dive reports good or bad as this would help out with the trip next week
all the best Gary

·
Registered
24 Posts

31 October 1914(sunk)
Hermes, British, Highflyer class Second class Cruiser converted to Seaplane Carrier. Torpedoed by German submarine U27 whilst acting as an aircraft transport between Dover and France. First torpedo struck from a range of c.300 yards and as the cruiser was sinking by the stern a second torpedo hit her and she then sank quickly.I have pictures of her sinking and the crew doing a runner.

Displacement: 5,650 tons
Dimensions: 372 x 54 x 20.5 feet/113.4 x 16.5 x 6.3 meters
Propulsion: TE engines, 18 boilers, 2 shafts, 10,000 hp. 20 knots
Crew: -450
Armor: 1.5-3 inch deck, 6 inch CT
Armament: 11 6 inch, 9 12 pound, 6 3 pound, 2 18 inch TT
Aircraft: 2 seaplanes
Concept/Program: An obsolete protected cruiser converted as an experimental seaplane ship. She was initially converted as a trials ship for seaplanes, to test launching and recovery methods, and to develop tactics for use of aircraft in fleet operations. Following these trials she reverted to her cruiser configuration, but again embarked seaplanes at the start of WWI.
Class: A member of the Highflyer class.
Design/Conversion: Fitted with canvas aircraft shelters fore and aft, flying-off platforms, and hoisting booms. Otherwise unmodified. This equipment was removed in 1913 but refitted in 1914.
Operational: Operated in experimental and trials service 1913; her very limited WWI service included a period as an aircraft transport.
Departure from Service/Disposal: Sunk early in WWI.
AND I THINK THE CAPTAIN LIKED TWO SUGARS IN HIS TEA AND THE SECOND MATE SUPPORTED WEST HAM,if anyone has not been comatozed by this or in a deep sleep/or on the phone to the samaritans,please could they give out any dive reports good or bad as this would help out with the trip next week
all the best Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts