YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

As stated previously, the Hoods a good dive, the problem for anyone travelling a long way to the south coast is that 50% of the time the diving is cancelled due to weather conditions.
The advantage of Weymouth/Portland is that you can allways dive the Hood or inside the harbour.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Eh up Mark (Chase) didn't quite look like this when we were on it.

For all who read this, going to organise a trip to Swanage / Portland for May time, will put a post up next week,

Andrew

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Howard,

Given the above pics (and my desire to dive this puppy) you may not be alone.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

The Hood was my first wreck dive and it still holds a special place in my affections, I have dived it several times over the years and have still not got bored with her.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Wow!  I want to know what time of year those photos were taken because it looks like a kind of parallel universe Portland to the one I was diving in last year....where did that viz come from???

We did one dive where we tried to find the Queenie from the Spaniard and missed her entirely despite passing within a couple of metres - oops!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Ooops, that'll be a blonde moment from Peter. I was looking at the map and thinking it was South America with the Florida Keys extended to fit the wrecks in. If you look at the map you'll see what I mean. I guess it's in Ingerland somewhere then.

Peter

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

That's more than blonde, Peter - that's humungous fun bags too!!

It is indeed Ingerland - Portland Harbour, Chesil beach and Portland Bill (*oh, come with me, to the rolling sea, when the weather's calm and still, and we'll have some fun and laughter with the adventures of Portland Bill* - remember that??) - near Weymouth, Dorset. (that's down at the bottom and left a bit from the diamond shaped island that isn't Australia)

Hope that helps, Jordan...

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ben,
the Hood is usually done as a 2nd dive after the M2 or other offshore wrecks, but you will be very lucky to get offshore at this time of year.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

M2
Motorway or submarine they are both down this way.
Couple of miles off Chesil beach in about 30mts.
Dorset coast isn’t much good at the moment.
Lou while we are in the poetic mood.
I must go down to the sea again the lonely sea and the sky.
I left my socks and vest there, I wonder if their dry.
Spike M I think.
Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

I've never seen the Hood in that detail - when I did it I had my hand out in front all the time in case I smashed my head on the #### thing!

Breakwater Dive Centre are good to dive with - the 2003 schedule is now out though I don't think you can get on the M2 or anything too far out until April. Look at www.divedorset.com

Cheers
Paul

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for the Dive Dorset link to Breakwater diving centre, I have been trying to access their schedule for the last couple of weeks.
Looks like a good weekend 19th/20th April, The Aeolian Sky + Hood one day and the M2 +
the other day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

certainly does mate - I'm in the process of sorting a trip to Portland at the moment with JP (on these boards) and his and my missus though I reckon around the 17/18/19 april will be a goer - if you can get enough divers then they will change the schedule if they can I think

Definately sounds like one for the Trips forum - especially for us Soutern softies !

Dive safe all
Paul

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

Ben,

the HMS Sidon is close to the M2 and is also a good dive (if you like subs).

(Edited by Mark at 1:24 pm on Feb. 17, 2003)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts