1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I don't know if anyone has already posted this, but:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Cornwall will be the site of Europe’s largest artificial diving reef next year, when a 2,500-tonne warship is sunk off the coast near Plymouth.

The National Maritime Museum in Plymouth has arranged to buy HMS Scylla from the Royal Navy, and after preparation work, the ship will be sunk a mile offshore at Whitsand Bay.

Similar projects already exist in Australia, Canada and New Zealand, but that this will be the first in Europe. The 113-metre-long boat will sit around three metres under the surface at low tide.

Mike Leece, chief executive of the National Maritime Museum, said: ‘This will be a fantastic venue for divers and will create wealth for Plymouth and south-east Cornwall. I am delighted that our bid has been successful.’

The National Aquarium will install web-cams to transmit images back to its headquarters in Plymouth.

Source: www.travelmole.com

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rupert Bear @ Oct. 24 2003,14:05)]Why is it so shallow?
Rupert

I suppose it depends on how tall the wreck is from hull bottom to top of superstructure. if the structure is 30m tall, it can sit in 35/40m and be visited by any class of diver. Put it too deep, and the market for divers would be reduced.

The James Eagan Jayne, also in Whitesand Bay, is from 24m to 6m, with nothing significant above main deck level. It is very busy because it is easy to get to, shallow and plenty to interest. We have plenty of wrecks down here in the 30/35m plus range, but very few less than that that are not just a pile of plates.

The only downside to the Scylla for a dive IMO, is that it will be stripped of any interest, have big holes in it to make it 'safe', and will take a few years for wildlife to colonise it. For a while it will be a sterile lump of metal. I will dive on it, but I suspect mainly for training until it has become 'lived in'.

We shall see.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

I wasn't meaning for diving, more for other boats hitting it! 3m is not a lot of water to have over it and wrecks have been blown up that were deeper even in non trafficked areas.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Ah right, yes it does seem a bit odd. The MCA etc would have some input I'd hope. Not many pleasure boats have a draught of more than 2m, and leave less than 1m clearance entering many dock, especially those with cills.

The National Marine Aquarium, as owners, would be responsible for any safety issues re clearance. This is the potential downside for any club that owns a wreck. If it is declared a hazard, then the owner has to clear it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I think the max depth on her is about 24m so maximising the appeal for all sorts of divers.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

They're putting it there because JEL has nearly had it and you lot will come from all over the country to dive it, bringing money down to poor Devon.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Oct. 24 2003,20:46)]They're putting it there because JEL has nearly had it and you lot will come from all over the country to dive it, bringing money down to poor Devon.
Doug

We ought to continue this kind of advertising. It will be good to do the JEL without the tourist boats  
Let them do the Scylla I say.

Adrian

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Oct. 25 2003,09:54)]
Let them do the Scylla I say.
 I totally agree.  Apparently the Scylla is going to have work done to it so any grade of diver can use it for training. Obvious routes are being worked out with safe swim throughs and easy escape holds.  The disabled diver has even been thought of with doors being widened to get the wheelchairs through i suppose.  It will be interesting to see how the wreck decays over the next few decades.  One of the old gits in my club tells tales of JEL when it was in quite good nick and it will be nice to have similiar stories to tell in my old age.   What with Mountbatten being local as well, it's going to become a major diving area.

·
Long time no sea
710 Posts
Imported post

I have heard the main deck will be at 20m. It will be sited 400m west of JEL. There will be large holes cut into the sides to allow safer penetration.

I think they should ask all divers for a voluntary contribution of  a pound towards a second vessel that could be sunk east of plymouth. (Mew stone or Wembury area). We should use the publicity generated by the scylla. They area around the Scylla is going to be 'ell of a busy....

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Oct. 25 2003,10:27)]What with Mountbatten being local as well, it's going to become a major diving area.
I think I'll translate that as parking becoming a major PITA.

I agree that the Scylla won't be of much interest. We also have an 'old git' complete with tales of rows of portholes etc. No one was interested in taking them, but suddenly a few started going, and the decline was off.

BTW, what club are you in?

Adrian

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hi I thought this day is of to a good start, their going to sink Cilla. But "SURPRISE SURPISE" when I cleaned my glasses it wasn't so good. just another old tub.

Louigi

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Plymouth Sound BSAC.  A good club, but they are run by a committee of OAPs.  I don't go up there much as it's a bit too politically correct for me + i have a problem with Dive leader training.   The club has a Historical wreck that you need to be dive leader or above to dive on and i can't bite my lip long enough during training to get D/L.  

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Oct. 25 2003,11:33)]Plymouth Sound BSAC.  A good club, but they are run by a committee of OAPs.  I don't go up there much as it's a bit too politically correct for me + i have a problem with Dive leader training.   The club has a Historical wreck that you need to be dive leader or above to dive on and i can't bite my lip long enough during training to get D/L.  
Doug

The 'Frau Metta Catharina von Flensburg' I daresay. Could have picked an easier name to remember  
You would think that they would allow SDs to dive under supervision, but not be involved in survey work. That would be a way of attracting them to the work. Yet another method for a club to put off members. Some berks will never learn, but why we elect em I'll never understand.

Good to see that other clubs have webs sites as poor as our own  

Adrian

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Oct. 25 2003,12:55)]
'Frau Metta Catharina von Flensburg' .You would think that they would allow SDs to dive under supervision, but not be involved in survey work. That would be a way of attracting them to the work. Yet another method for a club to put off members.
That's the one. In all fairness to them, it is an awkward site.  Massively tidal, vis down to inches and big air lifts clearing areas make it more dangerous than it should be.  Nitrox and some deco procedures are needed to work on it as well, which i've managed to bypass somehow.  It would get you more interested in archeological work though.  Not many clubs with their own historical wreck.  They've got rules and they can't be broken, I dive with a couple of chaps on the team and  they've agreed that i'm able enough to do it but if they make an exception for me, everyone with a sport diver qual could argue that they should be able to do it, even though they've only got 30/40 dives to their name.  I'll get D/L done and get on it eventually, i'll just have to find an instructor who isn't in my club.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Oct. 26 2003,08:47)]I'll get D/L done and get on it eventually, i'll just have to find an instructor who isn't in my club.
Doug

I'm looking to take my OWI exam spring next year, which will mean I can teach without supervision. As I'm TO, I intend to get some DL stuff done next year. I'll try to bear you in mind, especially if I have an odd no. of students. I'm also going to try to persuade Sophie (Regional coach) to 'get back to basics' - we'll see.

One thing to think about training outside the branch - the DO still has final say re signoff, so you don't want to piss them off. Although IIRC, you could join the General branch and get Lizzie to sign off!

Adrian

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Adrian.
 The problem is that i overtook the training programme that the club was running a couple of years ago.  I got in with a couple of deeper divers and ended up bypassing the dive leader stuff and moving straight onto  the stuff that they were doing.  I got a nitrox ticket, found out about deco procedures and slipped straight into trimix diving with a group outside the club.  When i started the Dive leader course (just to do the project diving) i had to borrow kit and reconfigure so it would fit on the rib, so i had a few bouyancy problems and didn't feel comfortable with the kit.  Plus i didn't and still don't agree with the training aspect of Dive leader, i'm not going in the water with someone who needs looking after and i have to look out for them.  I have no training instincts in me and i don't want any, some people are natural teachers, i'm not.  I put back into the club in different ways.  Once i get Dive leader i won't turn up for normal club dives unless i know one of my regular buddies is going to be there anyway.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Oct. 25 2003,11:33)]Plymouth Sound BSAC.  A good club, but they are run by a committee of OAPs.  I don't go up there much as it's a bit too politically correct for me.
<font color='#000080'>Doug, I can't possibly imagine why a politically correct environment would be a problem for you. I'd have thought you'd fit in just lovely!

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Oct. 26 2003,10:48)]
I'd have thought you'd fit in just lovely!
 They don't like my sense of humour.  It's hardly my fault if i've grown up with treating people how they act.  I think it's very fair.  At least i smile when i take the p**s.  

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Doug

What lessons do you need to complete? I take it we are talking about the old sylabus?

I have a guy who needs to do the practical aspects as well, and Weymouth would prob be a good halfway point, if you are interested?

Dive Safe

Paul

1 - 20 of 29 Posts