YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Talking to someone yesterday and I mentioned I was a diver, to be responded - that is a nice hobby!? Never thought of it as a hobby, more of a sport, or by some in my family an illness beyond cure!
 How would you describe diving?

(Interestingly when I mention I dive most people here (in portugal) think I skin dive, few of them understand why would one dive to just look at fish rather than catching them for the pot!)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Judging by my ever-diminishing bank balance, could it be a "lifestyle choice"??  A bit like the HMV sale??

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I am not sure I would describe it as a hobby,  for me it would have to be considered a way of life as it seems to rule my life (and my bank balance  
)

Daz

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

i don't really think of it as a sport, there's no competitiveness really (unless you count bragging about your new gear!), especially when just doing so-called recreational diving (which i take to mean <30m gentle dives with little deco)

following the trend so far, i'd say it's the reason i go to work  

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

An addiction.

I seek no cure, just give me more.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Come on, it's an extreme sport/activity. You can only compare it to space walking after all.

We are all probably at least as addicted to the internet as we are to diving  
 My PC gets me into more trouble with my other half than my diving though  

Regards,

Mark.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

I think of it as a sport, my partner calls it an obsession, and my bank manager calls it a problem.

But, in reality I just love it

Andrew

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Like they say, you know you're addicted to diving when you worry that the elevator is going up too quick.

Peter

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark @ June 26 2003,15:42)]Come on, it's an extreme sport/activity. You can only compare it to space walking after all.
yes, but i wouldn't call space walking a sport either, must get some pretty good photos though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are all probably at least as addicted to the internet as we are to diving  

you only need to worry when you start thinking how you can take your laptop down for the deco stops!  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My PC gets me into more trouble with my other half than my diving though  
i don't have that problem any more

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Ascent warning with an Aladin I believe.

Cant see it as a sport after all you dont need to be very fit to do it, according to the Padi ad anyway. Well probably not if all you have to do is to be chair lifted to the liveaboard, kitted up by the guides and pushed over the edge of the boat to boot. For the rest of us poor sods its a half mile trek from the carpark to the waters edge carrying shed loads of gear and a scramble on a bouncy sea up what is laughingly called a 'ladder'.
Still reckon its an addiction though.

Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ June 26 2003,16:52)]Like they say, you know you're addicted to diving when you worry that the elevator is going up too quick.

Peter
<font color='#000080'>Or when you take the stairs rather than the escalator so you can do a safety stop 5 stairs from the top.

I can see a new topic starting here.

You know your addicted to diving when.....

OK I'll do it.

Daz

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>definately an obsession!
and one I dont want saving from

jules

1 - 13 of 13 Posts