YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
proof

diving in Quarry's is bad for your health, i hope she gets better to try the sea

Graham

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Terrible news, we were there on Saturday and some friends were there yesterday, the gatekeeper told them something had happened.

Fingers crossed she makes a full recovery, sounds like it might take a while.

·
Add Water To Activate
1,433 Posts
I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.
I did this for the 1st & probably the last time yesterday, its physically challenging just to get to the waters edge.

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Can't you park at the top car park and carry kit down around the back to where the old steel jetty is? I've heard it mentioned but always thgought it not worth the extra carrying for the sake of a fiver.

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Can't you park at the top car park and carry kit down around the back to where the old steel jetty is? I've heard it mentioned but always thgought it not worth the extra carrying for the sake of a fiver.
Yep, my buddy and I did this once.
Parked on the top walked past the cottages and up the hill, then you turn right and head off down into the quarry the back way. It's best not to have you suit fastened until you get to the rails.
We then did the dive 55mins dive with a max depth of 30m. Straight out and off up the ladder throught the tunnel up the road 30 meters or so and then climbed up the slate pile to the right and back to the car. NEVER AGAIN!

We then drove down to Coniston (Bailiff Wood) and did a 42m dive in the good old pitch blackness of Conni (see my gallery pics)

How the hell I/we didn't get bent I don't know!

Ali

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
.......It was bound to happen sooner or later.
Unfortunately I agree too! The "rungs" are too far apart and the scaffold ladder needs to be set at a lower pitch. Very dangerous when wet too.

There is a piece of rope "old tat" next to the scaffold you could tie your fins and mask too and pull up leaving your hands free!

Pay the fiver and park in the bottom car park. The quarry makes an excellent OW dive in it's own right (depending on your personal opinion of course)

Perhaps he means ye fabled underwater tunnel....
Very unwise to dive this on a single cylinder.This is a cave dive I don't recommend anyone take the risk if no cave diving experience!. It would be considered a deep cave dive also!

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Yes, still the same, except the rope has gone. We put another length up over Christmas but that too had disappeared, perhaps they needed it during the rescue, otherwise, who would nick it? Same person who nicked my lead from the waters edge at Capers:(

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
No, that's definitely a "new one"

Sheesh, you think that's bad....you shoulda sin it in MY day.

Young folk these days...you tell 'em what it were like in t'olden days and they don't believe a word you say.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
There is a piece of rope "old tat" next to the scaffold you could tie your fins and mask too and pull up leaving your hands free!
One little tip I picked up in Mexico when faced with a ladder like this (well actually not as nice as this but over a much softer landing) is to unclip my pressure gauge and reclip it through my fin straps - leaving my fins hanging out of the way by my side and my hands free. A spare double ender (which I always carry anyway) gets rid of the mask too.

Managing kit over terrain like this is fraught with risk - and to me is often teh riskiest part of the dive. Strength training helps but essentially a great deal of care is needed. Sorry to hear about this incident - and prayers for her full recovery.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts