YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I would have voted UKIP if he hadn't been so rude to Rumpy. Just not British.

When PR is introduced I reckon there will be a surge in votes for "other parties" at future elections because the vote is no longet "a wasted vote". Where there is a first past the post system with only one or two (or three) parties with a chance of winning then ....... etc etc.

·
Confused? You will be.
2,501 Posts
I would have voted UKIP if he hadn't been so rude to Rumpy. Just not British.

When PR is introduced I reckon there will be a surge in votes for "other parties" at future elections because the vote is no longet "a wasted vote". Where there is a first past the post system with only one or two (or three) parties with a chance of winning then ....... etc etc.

This is already happening - 30-40 years ago about 90% of the vote was for the 3 main parties but this has now dropped to about 65% if I remember correctly. Roll on PR.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
This is already happening - 30-40 years ago about 90% of the vote was for the 3 main parties but this has now dropped to about 65% if I remember correctly. Roll on PR.
Don't forget that one of those parties is the BNP.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Did I understand it right that his plane's tail was fouled by an electioneering banner when everyone knows it is illegal to electioneer within 24 hours of the polls opening? Maybe one of his supporters shot him down to keep him out of trouble!

Roll on PR. Then we can be like Italy. (That's one of the Siesta economies that is going to have to borrow money to bail out Greece!)

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Roll on PR. Then we can be like Italy. (That's one of the Siesta economies that is going to have to borrow money to bail out Greece!)
Quality analysis as usual BJ :rolleyes:

If you're suggesting that PR will lead to coalition government, it might be worth considering that Germany has a history of coalition too and they've been pretty successful since the second world war, when we also had a coalition government.

AFAIC, the only thing that will suffer from it will be the hegemony that Labour and the Conservatives have enjoyed for far too long.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Yeah because the last coalitions in the UK worked so well...

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Did I understand it right that his plane's tail was fouled by an electioneering banner when everyone knows it is illegal to electioneer within 24 hours of the polls opening? Maybe one of his supporters shot him down to keep him out of trouble!

It's like having a person who is actually created by the Daily Mail. Don't bother to find out the facts, make a statement that's not true in the UK, and then run a story scaremongering about something totally unrelated. Formula stuff, and not even a complex formula. Come on John you're a professional journalist - you can do better than this!

Digs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It could be argued we've had a coalition government for most of the past 15 years - Tony Blair ran one political party (the Blairite party) from Number 10 while Gordon ran the Brownite political party from Number 11 and the treasury. Both 'parties' and their respective MPs had surprisingly different political agendas.

·
9,347 Posts
Quality analysis as usual BJ :rolleyes:

If you're suggesting that PR will lead to coalition government, it might be worth considering that Germany has a history of coalition too and they've been pretty successful since the second world war, when we also had a coalition government.

AFAIC, the only thing that will suffer from it will be the hegemony that Labour and the Conservatives have enjoyed for far too long.
War-time governments are only concerned with winning the war so a coalition makes sense.

We have a system of government and opposition with two sides to the house. If we have PR we will need to redesign the way Parliament is run. Otherwise we'll have a minority government and nothing will get done. I remember the last time. Do you?
Mortgage-rates went sky high. It doesn't bother me of course because I don't owe any money to anyone except HMRC for the money I earn next year.

As for Germany, that country had Marshall Aid while the UK had to pay back Lend-Lease. We only finished paying the debt in 2007 or 8 IIRC. Then we were a rich country for a short time.

·
Confused? You will be.
2,501 Posts
War-time governments are only concerned with winning the war so a coalition makes sense.

We have a system of government and opposition with two sides to the house. If we have PR we will need to redesign the way Parliament is run. Otherwise we'll have a minority government and nothing will get done. I remember the last time. Do you?
Heaven forbid that we consider asking the poiticians to change the way that they work, and instead of bickering, arguing, and being general pillocks they co-operate and reach a consensus. Obviously reaching a consensus is going to be bad for the country. Also having a coalition does not rule out examination of policies by the opposition as there will still be some parties outside of the ruling coalition (unless you know something about what is happening in London that I don't). If you think that one party can have a monopoly on good ideas / solutions then stick with the existing system - personally I don't agree with everything that the party I am a member of espouses, but the majority of the key factors I do agree (some people call this a compromise).

As far as how Parliament is run - the civil service have been preparing for this day for some time and don't consider it to be a significant issue (or at least they haven't said as so).

The problem facing the Lib Dems at the moment is that the Conservatives are unlikely to want to concede an inch on PR. The main reason that they wish to avoid this position is that they do not think that they will ever have power under a PR system. Essentially this means that they do not want to give everyone's vote equal value - for me PR is a principle that needs to be forced through during this parliament and for a referendum to be run - the main question as far as I am concerned is which way is the fairest. I do like the priciple of having a local MP to represent me and would baulk at a move away from this - this tends to indicate a system of alternative voting where you prioritise the order of your choice of candidates - there are a number of different alternative voting systems which can be looked at on the Electoral Reform Society website.

·
9,347 Posts
With a minority government I was poor. Under Thatcher I became rich. I've been poor and I've been rich. Rich is better. Gordon Brown should be taken to a padded room. Cameron should form a minority government and then negotiate with Clegg on an issue-by-issue basis. We should then have another election. The Lib Dems have not had a good election. Clegg-mania was rather like the Bird Flu epidemic. It didn't happen outside the minds of a few journalists. (Calm down. It's only an opinion.)

Reactions: Richard Mason
1 - 20 of 20 Posts