YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Thanks for your views on Egypt...  I now booked 14 nights staying at the Hilton. We will be leaveing on the 31st July, I know its going to be hot, but how hot and will it be cooler in the evening.. Do i need to pack jumpers.. What will the water temp be like 3mm short or 5mm long,, And who would you say a would be a good dive center.. I will be diving every other day (have to spend some time with the wife) Just so many questions, but you have heard them all before so any and all advice will be kool..

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

It'll be VERY hot in the middle of the day, probably 35-40 degrees, but considerably cooler in the evenings, 25-30. You won't need a sweater. The water will be somewhere between 25 and 30. A 3mm drysuit will be fine. Personaly I'd choose one with long sleeves and legs, as protection against various floating nasties, just in case, but  you'll be fine in a shorty. Camel Dive Club (mainly British staff) has always been one of the best and still gets good write-ups on Divernet etc. Hope this helps – I'm sure you'll havea great trip.

(Edited by John Gulliver at 7:26 pm on Feb. 8, 2003)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Sean,

Which Hilton? There are two in Sharm/Naama Bay. If it's the Hilton Dreams, then just nip nextdoor (quite literally) to the Rosetta Hotel and you'll find Emperor Divers - I've used them twice and they are very good; good intructors/DMs and a top choice of day-boats and dive sites to visit.

Try and get a dive in in the UK a week before you go (and get it written up in your log book as proof) and you will forego the requirement to do the 'SCUBA Skills Review' in the pool or at one of the shallower reefs like Ras Katy, Ras Bob, Near/Middle or Far Garden. Although if they do make you do one, I can think of worse places to prove that I can do a fin-pivot than Temple.

Enjoy mate, take a jumper/deck-top any way for the evenings, the breeze coming down from the desert isn't cold per se, just that it can be a bit nippy now and again, even in the summer. Take a cap/hat for the boat too, the day-sun will be strong in July, plenty of sun-sceen also. I'd take nothing less than a 5mm one piece, regardless of when I'm diving in the Red Sea. If you're diving for an hour on a single 12l, then you will be thankful for a 5mm.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you're diving for an hour on a single 12l, then you will be thankful for a 5mm.
<span =''>

Bren, you big Manc Jessie!   Water was 25 deg C in December & a shortie was fine, I would have thought it'd be nothing much less than 30 in the summer.

Re Camel dive Club, I was with them and thought they were very good, but John Nortcliff had a bit of a quibble about one of their dive guides on one occasion.

Have a fun holiday whoever you dive with
Chee-az
Steve

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

SteveW - Got back from Sharm a few weeks ago.  Everyone in shorties swopped for full length, and most went for thicker suits.  I was the only one who didn't come out shivering after the long dives (I was in a dry suit).  Water temp was 24 degrees.  However, diving in July is a different matter!  What I would say is go for the full length suits.  There are these floaty buggers that sting bare flesh at the surface - not bad, but irritating.  Also, if you're night-diving you don't have to worry about the lionfish.  You're not going to get too hot (I've dived 29 degrees in a dry suit) but you could get cold - why take the risk?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Let's be honest people - when have you ever been 'too warm' on a dive in either the blue or the UK??? We dress to ensure that we don't get too cold - on any dive.

Guys,

Please show me a dive where anyone has surfaced saying "well sod that, I was way too warm" and I will quite happily show my Ronson in Woolworth's window!

The Red Sea does not operate like the other seas when it comes to diving her. One piece, thick as you fancy, no complaints, superb diving!!!!

Oh and BTW, you might not get a tan whilst diving at 30 metres..... ;)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Bren it's the Hilton Dreams were staying at the standard accom..  think they call it the Mountin annex..
So Its a 5mm full I think thats wise just need to find a club out there.

Thanks for the advice

Sean

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi Sean, I echo the above, a 5mm full suit is best and if you get one with a hood with practice you should be able to train your natural central heating system to flow up your back and warm your head
always a good thing.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Now I will disagree just slightly about the 5mm vs 3mm thing.

Whilst you may never get too warm on a dive, in June I was NEVER too cold in a 3mm - indeed I was very comfortable.

On the surface however (and this does depend on your suit, and its fit) I was far more comfortable than those struggling and sweating to get into thicker suits, and then standing around in them awaiting the all clear to jump.

Beaver (for one) do a decent, cheap suit that has a 5mm body and 3mm arms and legs - Caroline has one - and it seems like a reasonabel compromise.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

OK Bren time to put up and show.

I have got out of the water and have honestly been too hot.  Drysuit and shorts and t shirt underneath, sweating buckets.  No hood, no glove.

So let us know which woolworths,  no need to take a camera I am sure it will be plastered all over the news.

Daz

Crikey don't you just hate it when you have to try out your drysuit for the first time in the pool...  ;)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

well I just have to take both...  That means the wife will have to ditch another pair of shoes... I told her she is limited to 10KG and so is the son, that gives me 40Kg just about right me thinks :yelclap:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

I was there around the same time last year.  3mm full no problem.  Water temp averaged 27-28.  Air temp up to 45.  Fine with Camel then, but had a few problems with them in December - very variable quality of dive guides and some potentially dangerous problems.  The food in the Hilton is v nice - fish buffet on Thursdays I think ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts