YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Thinking of going to Sharm el Sheik next year for our holidays,
thats me the wife and bairns, we fancy nabq bay , well the wifes picked a hotel she likes the look of , has anyone got any opinions of what sharm is like for non diving types, the wife wont go in the sea but the bairn loves to snorkel ,so is it suitable for him he's only eight thanks in advance.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>No prob going to Naama bay if you're a non-diver. In fact I believe most that go actually just stay on the beach. Which is packed.

Plenty of oportunities to get screwed over by the local peddlers, just like any other tourist trap. She'll have a ball.

And while you're out diving she and the kiddo can go camelriding to some genuine bedouin tent in the desert and have some funny smelling tea.

Just remember that Sharm is fake. There's nothing "real" there, and in that sense it will be just like going to any other tourist town, be it in Tenerife, Malorca or Hull.

Lots of sun, lots of crap. But nice.

Kyrre  

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

DON'T is the answer I have posted a trip report in the trip report posts.   My wife was a non-diver there and like your son my son also loves to snorkel..  The local snorkeling is crap just have a read of my report.  Or email me off line

Sean

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sean @ Sep. 24 2003,15:32)]DON'T is the answer I have posted a trip report in the trip report posts.   My wife was a non-diver there and like your son my son also loves to snorkel..  The local snorkeling is crap just have a read of my report.  Or email me off line

Sean
<font color='#0000FF'>ooh... I haven't read your report, but:

I did do some snorkling on the beach and it was fine! There are a couple of reef remnants once you go a bit further out and you'll find fish, squid, lionfish and uh.. those others, in abundance.

And all you have to do is go a bit out of town, by taxi for instance, and you've got yourself several nice snorkling sites.

Kyrre

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Skener,

When are you thinking of going? Month? Might make a difference to the suit you take with you.

Check with your tour operator, as some hotels/operators run daily activities for the kids and most decent hotels have pools for your wife to lounge by. If you're son is eight, then he's old enough to do the PADI 'Bubble Maker' course - and entry level 'get them confident in the wet' type gig. They'll get used to using snorkels (as well as having mock sword-fights with the snorkels etc.) and may even go off the beach, you'd have to check - any of you on-board PADI instructors help here with advice?

Other than that, and ashore, there are days-out on Camel trains, 4x4 expeditions out into the desert with food laid on, trips to see the Bedouins and Sharm/Naama Bay has a whole range of different eateries and restaurants (Chinese, Thai, Arabic, French, KFC, MacDonalds, Pizza Hut, snack and coffe-shops etc.) to suit most palates.

Banks and cash machines (for credit cards, NOT Switch or Delta) are readily available (use the Thomas Cooks on the main drag, as it gives the best exchange rate) and take either US Dollars or GBP Sterling cash or traveller's cheques. Your entry visas to Egypt can be acquired at Sharm airport on arrival - keep $15 each to cover this. There maybe (can't remember the amount) a departure tax too, so keep some US$ or GB£ CASH (not credit cards or Traveller's Chqs!) handy on exit.

If you need a good dive centre, then Emperor Divers at the Rosetta Hotel is recommended, as is the Red Sea College opposite it and Camel Divers at teh Camel Hotel on the main drag; all have training pools and run courses, as well as taking shore diving and day-boats out on a daily basis. Usually you'll get two dives a day off a boat, but remember, you'll be out on the boat from 09.00 hrs to between 15.00 and 17.00 hrs a day, so best to either take the family with you or leave them back at the hooch to suit you/them.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I can heartily recommend Oonasdivers. Run by brits and with mostly british diveguides. And the odd Swedish chick.  

Oonas

"The Hooligan" must be experienced. Cooles diveboat around.

Kyrre

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

thanks for the info planning on going in August, is it best to take your own dive gear or is it reasonable to hire your equipment of the dive operators?

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Snorkel, mask, regs & computer - I always take my own, serviced and known to be working, as hand luggage if possible. I often take BCD and suit as well, same reason, in the case, might even take the fins too.
My daughter has just come back this week from Sharm, loved the snorkelling in chest high water, her boyfried saw two rays swimming side by side, she stayed just outside Sharm loved it and she's a fussy girl. I'll get the hotel name for you later.

Matt

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

Ok maybe I’ve been a bit harsh..  If you want to pay through the nose do the trips, I took my son quad biking the cost was £35 each and he had to share my bike he was only 10 at the time the other’s had a bike each at the same price, when I complained to the rep I got a £10 refund…  You can do the snorkelling trips away from Naama bay Emperor divers are good I dived with them, and non-divers can also join you on the boat..  The Nightlife is good lots of restaurants; we stayed at the Marriott great hotel nice pool.  You have to be aware that it’s an Italian resort they are loud and make crappy divers.  If your wife is happy to stay by the pool or beach all day then go..  If I was to ever go again it would be my own and on a live-aboard and further south.. I went in August very, very hot you couldn’t walk on the sand without some kind of footwear and far to hot to sit in the sun about 40 every day.  Sharm is slowly turning into a 18 – 30 resort and even the bar owners are concerned with the amount of building work going on.    
If it’s a beach/diving holiday then Maldives, I would suggest you look long and hard at what you want out of a family holiday, nothing worse than going of on a nice dive trip leaving your son and wife to spend another day at the pool having lots of fun.

Just my view it has to be done once but just once

Sean

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Sean
she stayed outside Sharm and agreed with your comments re: Sharm itself.
In fact she's come back with a henna tatoo on her ankle as she just couldnt get rid of the pests without saying yes and letting them do it. Her Mum's going to go wild when she sees it  

as she (our daughter) was perfect when born and my wife doesnt see why she should resort to that sort of thing, sorry if that upsets some, but I mention it only to indicate what pests they can be. So if it looks like I was contradicting you, I wasnt.

I'd personally go elsewhere after her report.
Safety didnt seem to be a big issue either.

Matt

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

Matt

I aggree 100% with you I would not go back to Sharm for those very reasons, and as i stated in my report the place is over dived, we had 17 boats on Thomas reef at an avg of 25 divers per boat 400 Italian's
 and 24 other's
.  Don't get me wrong the red sea is a great location and very good diving but it's just Sharm and Naama bay..  It would be great for say a club where most people are single or married and don't have kids, kinda a group holiday but in my view it's not a family location and would not recommend it as such

Take care

Sean

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>my missis has just booked sharm for my 40th next year and we have 3 kids

too late now lol
at least i get to go diving:p

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steve-k @ Sep. 24 2003,19:44)]my missis has just booked sharm for my 40th next year and we have 3 kids

too late now lol
at least i get to go diving:p
<font color='#0000FF'>Hey Steve!

Like said. You'll have a fantastic time in Sharm, no doubt. It all depends on your attitude.

I'd love to go back to sharm since I had a brilliant time. We had 17 very nice dives in a fortnight and I can't really complain about anything. Except the other dive companies for letting bad divers go in the water at the wrong places.

Oonas-commercial starts here, though I am NOT associated with them at all:
Oonas must be the best and most professional diving company I've been with (out of 5). The guides did their best to find the best dives and took into consideration the likelyhood of meeting other groups. They did their outmost to make the dives as best as possible. Therefore we ended up being mostly on our own with not an italian in sight. Lunch at odd hours though

We were never more than 12 on the boat and all the boat crews were very helpful and friendly. Achmed on the Hooligan couldn't do enough for us when we came back on the boat after the first dive (imagine an arab pulling my fins off while I desperately tries to tell him "I can manage on my own now please help my girl getting her kit off!  
)

Based on my friends' stories it seems you won't find a better company in Sharm.

Here's Achmed pulling Kate aboard while the Captain's laughing. As always.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sean @ Sep. 24 2003,14:32)]DON'T is the answer I have posted a trip report in the trip report posts.   The local snorkeling is crap just have a read of my report.  Sean
It aint that bad! For fantastic snorkelling take a taxi to Sharks Bay, where I have seen an eagle ray whilst snorkelling, crocodile fish, packs of lionfish rounding up prey, indian mackerel, Titan Triggerfish etc etc or pay to use the beach at Ras Umm Sid - fantastic coral formations round the outside of the reef wall. If the dive boat isnt packed out you can usually take non-divers with you to snorkell - most of the dives you'll go to on day boats from sharm are also fine for snorkelling, including the reefs at Tiran - in fact one one dive we came back to find our non-diving friend champing at the bit to show us the moray and turtle he's found while snorkelling. Out of the high season is probably best though - you wont see much snorkelling whilst competing with hordes of screaming splashing snorkelling boats.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hmmmmmmm,

I've been to Sharm a few times, it has changed beyond all recognition from the first time I went there, but I still love it. Sure there are a lot of people, divers and locals trying to sell you rubbish. But, it is local rubbish, the guy who hand engraves the copper plates was there 10 years ago working on the same pigging plate.

These days, if you pick the right hotel, non-divers can have a pretty fab time, the person who said to get a taxi to sharks bay and snorkle there was right, it is a good way to spend a day.

But, in August it will be hot, and I mean seriously hot, keep the kids covered and near the sea / pool or they will fry.

Also, if you are with a diving group of friends, most of the dive centers will let you on the boat for a small fee as a snorkler.

Andrew

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

Guess it depends what you're after.  I've been here since August 10th and probably coming back mid October.  Half way through the instructor course at the moment which is good fun although the homework is a cramping the nights out a little.
August/September is hot - think 45ish.  October is very busy.  I'm with Emperor Divers - very good, but they have 11 boats out next week - usually it's 5.
The snorkelling is very good and coming out on the boats is a lot nicer than the beach, in my opinion.  The kids can take snorkelling or scuba courses if they fancy it.
Fair enough the Italians are a pain but everyone know's that, particularly the guides.  Ask to not be on the italian boat.
It's busy, but ask yourself why?
If you want a quiet time, the first week of June is nice.  Quiet, warm, promotions from centre's like Emperor.
Incidentally, if anyone is coming out soon, the water was an unseasonally chilly 24 in Tiran the other day  
Wish I brought my 5mm now.  Getting too used to tropical temps.
Post IE party is Wed eve.  Roll on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts