YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lovely dive peeps

have just returned from Cape Verde, had been looking forward to holiday for months and getting back in the water. Would give you a full update on the diving there but on my third dive got hit by the boats' propeller and hence completely ruined my holiday plans (after only 4 days) back home nursing very sore legs and some big black stitches... but believe I know how bad it could have been.
so moral of this story is however good you are as a diver some things you just can't prepare for :frown: or prepare for others mistakes and always, always have insurance!

happy and safe diving to you all:angel: x

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Hi lovely dive peeps

have just returned from Cape Verde, had been looking forward to holiday for months and getting back in the water. Would give you a full update on the diving there but on my third dive got hit by the boats' propeller and hence completely ruined my holiday plans (after only 4 days) back home nursing very sore legs and some big black stitches... but believe I know how bad it could have been.
so moral of this story is however good you are as a diver some things you just can't prepare for :frown: or prepare for others mistakes and always, always have insurance!

happy and safe diving to you all:angel: x
Wow your Guardian Angel was with you on that day.

·
Registered
464 Posts
F*ck me, thought I had misread that at first, congrats for getting out in 1 piece!!!!!!!!!!

Glad all is well,

ben.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Welcome back and really glad you weren't too badly hurt, hope you are back in the water soon. Forgive the ghoulish question but what happened, was it a mistake on your part or was this a boat driver error? From a learning perspective what would you do differently in future to avoid it happening again, if inything?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lucky

Hi
thanks for all your comments, I don't think there was anything I could have done to stop it from happening. I had just had a lovely long shallow dive with my buddy and surfaced. I inflated my bcd and was just making my way infront of the ladder, I was laughing as we had managed a 62 mins dive and remember saying what a lovley relaxing dive it had been, next thing i knew I was hit and searing pain in my legs.
The boat had been stationary, but something happened on the boat it jumped gear or someone nudged it so it kinda kick started, swung round and hit me. I really don't know the full details yet of what happened on the boat but there wasn't anything I could have done differently.
I just want to recover and hope to get diving again soon before I develope too much fear with engines and propellers.

So easter sunday alive and sore but with legs. and i have thanked my guardian angel.

I think if i have learnt anything its maybe trust my instincts more with dive operators, one thing I have found time and time again is a real male dominated industry and a real macho/ arrogance which I really detest, its all about short briefings very little debrief afterwards & lack of information about the fishlife and generally being offhand.
I dive because I love the underwater world, I find it beautiful and fasinating. I don't want to be in and out as quick as poss and I like to be able to discuss what i've seen. So its always such a bonus to find dive professionals who haven't got bored etc.
:angel: x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky

Hi
thanks for all your comments, I don't think there was anything I could have done to stop it from happening. I had just had a lovely long shallow dive with my buddy and surfaced. I inflated my bcd and was just making my way infront of the ladder, I was laughing as we had managed a 62 mins dive and remember saying what a lovley relaxing dive it had been, next thing i knew I was hit and searing pain in my legs.
The boat had been stationary, but something happened on the boat it jumped gear or someone nudged it so it kinda kick started, swung round and hit me. I really don't know the full details yet of what happened on the boat but there wasn't anything I could have done differently.
I just want to recover and hope to get diving again soon before I develope too much fear with engines and propellers.

So easter sunday alive and sore but with legs. and i have thanked my guardian angel.

I think if i have learnt anything its maybe trust my instincts more with dive operators, one thing I have found time and time again is a real male dominated industry and a real macho/ arrogance which I really detest, its all about short briefings very little debrief afterwards & lack of information about the fishlife and generally being offhand.
I dive because I love the underwater world, I find it beautiful and fasinating. I don't want to be in and out as quick as poss and I like to be able to discuss what i've seen. So its always such a bonus to find dive professionals who haven't got bored etc.
:angel: x

·
Registered
934 Posts
Wow Blinky, This season of new beginnings is going to have extra significance for you I reckon! Glad you are ok and have not been put off the beautiful world of the briny.

·
Twin Set? Nah, give me gills instead.
187 Posts
Glad you were not hurt even more! Got to agree with the comments about short briefings etc.

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts