YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Has the bouyancy of a drunk seal
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All,

Im off on holiday to Turkey in July and am considering taking a smb,reel,strobe and line cutter but when I dive in Blighty I normally have these in my bcd/dry suit pockets.

I have looked at the Joey pouch and big pouch from Bowstone and the Dive rite leg pouch. I like the idea of the joey pouch but dont know anyone who has used one.

My own Beuchat bcd weighs loads so I will be using rental gear apart from mask,fins and regs.

Does anyone have any major negatives for using the joey pouch?

Cheers
Simon

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I've never used the joey pouch but I'd avoid the leg pouch. I bought one, tends to flop about and end up round the front of your leg. I find the top thigh strap just about impossible to do up as well when kitting up.

Reactions: Simon Sharpe

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I got one of the Bowstone Yettas pouches for Red Sea trips. Does the job perfectly and is big enough to hold spare mask, SMB, spool and cutters. It's a different shape from the Joey pouch (tall rather than wide), but I wanted a pouch which I could also use to hook my long hose under in place of my torch battery pouch.

My only niggle about it was the lack of an internal D ring to clip my cutters to. Solved that with with a SS split ring reinforced with some TearAid.

Bags & Pouches - Yettas Pouch

·
Has the bouyancy of a drunk seal
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your replies - Im thinking from another angle then - If you work in a holiday resort i.e. not in the UK, Do people:-
A,not bother bringing anything and use all rental?
B,Just use the rental BCD pockets or clip stuff on?
C,Bring own pouch/bcd/wing?

What do you see more off at the resorts?
Simon

·
"Are we human, or are we diver?"
1,329 Posts
I use the RED HAT DIVING thigh pocket - pocket F High Pocket on the Maximus page.

Red Hat Diving Maximus wing

It clips to the D ring at the bottom of the BCD and there's a quick release strap to go round the leg. They make them in left & right hand so the quick release clip is at the front of the leg.
They seem to stay put ( 'cos they're) clipped to the BCD , are easily adjusted for a snug fit to the thigh and comfortably hold a dsmbi.
They're only £7.50 each too but I suspect that if you don't like clip on pockets on your leg that won't make a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts