YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Off skiing in a  couple of weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for some good dive-related reading for while I'm away.

I've got "Neutral Buoyancy", but it isn't really gripping me.

Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Imported post

Have a look at past posts regarding books using the search facility.  They have been discussed to a certain extent fairly recently.  And check out aquapress for purchases.

HTH
Steve

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

Goldfinder - Keith Jessop.

Good read, told with a little Yorkshire humour - pity he's an ex-bootneck.  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

I always try and take some light reading with me, say Edmund Burke's 'Treatise on Man', or possibly 'The Collected Letters of' or the 'The Difficult Essays' by Bertrand Russell', or, at a push, and for comedy, how about 'Socrates's 'Precepts of Democracy'??

Seriously, Goldfinder is a good read, and you might enjoy 'The Man Who Bought a Navy', by Gerald Bowman, all about the salvage job which was undertaken to retrieve the German Imperial High Seas Fleet in Scapa Flow.

Safe trip!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

For an interesting read, and one that's never came up before, try "The Cave Divers" by Robert Burgess. It's a true version of exploration(sans WKPP+GI3) of cave diving in the UK, US, France, Mexico and others from the "very" beginning.

Some real horror stories in it as well.

Peter

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>On a similar theme to Peter, The last Dive (fatal day in father & son dive duo) and Deep Descent (conquest of Andrea Doria). Both rather macarb but very good reading.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I enjoyed Caverns Measureless to man on my last holiday. But then, it was the week I started cavern/cave diving in Menorca! Well worth reading though, and as far as Martyn Farr's book's going, a bit easier to read.

I liked Goldfinder, found the last dive ok but not riveting, and neutral buoyancy ok but once you've read one history of scuba and the like yu've read most of it. Scuba first developed by...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have to agree got a little bogged down with neutral buoyancy too.

However Deep Descent dropped through my front door at about 7.30 am and it now in the finished pile, that say's it all really
 damn good read (although i admit to kind os skipping a bit of one chapter as it is v similar to the last dive on the hisory of stuff)

·
3 boats down from the candy
230 Posts
Imported post

i got rod mcdonalds into the abyss for crimbo, finished it yesterday i can highly recomend it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks all. Last Dive is on it's way from Amazon. Deep Descent..... only now available on special order from USA apparently.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I bought my copy via the amazon marketplace thingy total of £10 including postage from USA, took 10 days to arrive but that included new years and stuff so not too bad

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>another vote for Into The Abyss by Rod Macdonald... i'm reading it at the moment and it's really good.

but why diving books on a skiing holiday?!  

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

although a bit big to take on holiday....

The Darkness Beckons by Martyn Farr - some of the cave diving stories in there made the hairs on my neck stand on end. Would thoroughly recommend it.

Simon

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Jan. 08 2004,08:38)]but why diving books on a skiing holiday?!  
..... therapy for being a bit too far inland....i get all a bit twitchy if i'm too far from the sea  

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>A good holiday read that isn't too heavy is Gary Kinder's "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea".

Its about 500 pages and once it grips you you want to keep going to the end. A good insight without getting too technical.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Am I one of the few people who don't take dive releated books on holiday.

Give me a Pat Cornwell or Linda Fairstein for holidays, nice crime fiction.  I have done all the Wilber Smith, just bought his new one for christmas although it weighs about 2kg so that will not be travelling to the Redsea.

FB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts