YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi,
Dont know where to post this but.. Im going to Egypt on 5th of Oct and staying on a liveaboard for a full week  
,I reckon its going to be damn hot  
 .  Just wat to know if my 5mm full wetsuit would be ok or too heavy?  I want proper protection from the sun and stingy things under water, Dont want to ruin a good holiday with major sunburn or end up as a pin cushion
Thanks Tony

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>How about a plastic bin liner......... coz

you + boat = seasick.

saves on washing:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Sep. 15 2003,20:38)]How about a plastic bin liner......... coz

you + boat = seasick.

saves on washing:D
hey! that aint fair

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Imagine the scene.

Flat calm day, not a ripple , boat pulls off its berth, 8 knots across the harbour Andys coffee doesn't rock, can balance a lit *** up on end on the chart table.

Looks aft and heres Tony, feeding the fish

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Sep. 15 2003,21:13)]Imagine the scene.

Flat calm day, not a ripple , boat pulls off its berth, 8 knots across the harbour Andys coffee doesn't rock, can balance a lit *** up on end on the chart table.

Looks aft and heres Tony, feeding the fish
not true!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Sep. 15 2003,21:36)]It WILL be hot but not as hot as in August and September. You'll be fine in a 5mm full wetsuit. Actually, a 3 mm suit would probably be enough.
Here's some info´on temperatures (air and water):
http://www.redseacollege.com/english/sinai_guide/weather.htm
Thanks for info 30 deg should be ok hopefully there should be a cool breeze

Im stuck with the 5mm just wanted to check,i got a drysuit for diving here in colder water/weather
Tony

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

I did  aliveaboard in august and used my full 7mm wetsuit. I was warm on the deck but just right in the water. If a 5mm is what you have got then I am sure it will be fine! I wouldnt ever recommend a shorty becuase of stingy things.
For the liveaboard you need next to no clothes. just swim suits, shorts and a few t shirts. maybe one jumper in case it's breezy i n the evening. By the time you have packed your dive kit that will take 17kg out of your generous 20kg allownace and thus leave you you very little for clothes anyway!

Enjoy...you lucky so and so!

jules:)

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Take 5mm suit, sunglasses, suncream & hat.
Oh and did l say sunglasses.
And remember to buy the beer before leaving port.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

What should you wear???

Sling-backs, a feather boa and a fur-lined jock-strap......err.....sorry, just reading my laundry list aloud  

You'll be fine in a 5mm one-piece, I wouldn't dive the Red Sea in anything less, ANY time of year. Enjoy your trip and we look forward to your dive report when ya get back.

Take care.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Sep. 16 2003,03:03)]You'll be fine in a 5mm one-piece, I wouldn't dive the Red Sea in anything less, ANY time of year.
Can't agree there, Bren. I wear a drysuit in the Egyptian Red Sea in the winter but a 3 mm full suit and 3 mm sleeveless jacket was fine on the "Deep south" itinerary in June this year and the water will be a couple of degrees warmer in October. Most of my dives in June were 60 minutes or more, by the way, and I did 3-4 a day. In the southern part of the red sea (Eritrea etc) the temperature reaches 32°C, which is even warmer than I've experienced in the Maldives, Philippines. Australia or Indonesia, for example.
Horses for courses

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Sep. 15 2003,22:29)]By the time you have packed your dive kit that will take 17kg out of your generous 20kg allownace and thus leave you you very little for clothes anyway!

<font color='#0000FF'>Why is my bag always at least 26 / 27Kg.  Am I taking too much?

Fiona

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Sep. 16 2003,11:39)]Why is my bag always at least 26 / 27Kg.  Am I taking too much?

Fiona
Mine weighs about that, too, and I don't take anything I think I can manage without.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I understand blue is in this season.

I'm going just a couple of weeks later. I'm taking a full 3mm suit (unfashionable black and red) which I combine with a Chillcheater undersuit. This combination is warmer than a 5mm, more versatile and lighter in your suitcase. However, I'm sure your 5mm will be just fine. I wouldn't say you need more, but of couse these things are all personal and depends on your tolerance to cold.

Mark.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Sep. 16 2003,13:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Sep. 16 2003,11:39)]Why is my bag always at least 26 / 27Kg.  Am I taking too much?

Fiona
Mine weighs about that, too, and I don't take anything I think I can manage without.
when we went on the liveaboard in August we took two dive bags with three complete sets of kit divided between them and each bag weighed about 25kg. That took 50kg out of our combined allowanc of 60kg so we took one siutcase between the three of us and the kids had all their heavy stuff in their hand luggage. Try telling a 12 year old to stand there casually and not look like they have a heavy bag on their shoulders. I think MAtt and I both had a set of set of regs in our hand luggage as well ... So we probably had 20kg each of dive gear.
Anyhow, the point is that on a liveaboard you dont need many clothes at all!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Sep. 15 2003,22:29)]I did  aliveaboard in august and used my full 7mm wetsuit. I was warm on the deck but just right in the water. If a 5mm is what you have got then I am sure it will be fine! I wouldnt ever recommend a shorty becuase of stingy things.
For the liveaboard you need next to no clothes. just swim suits, shorts and a few t shirts. maybe one jumper in case it's breezy i n the evening. By the time you have packed your dive kit that will take 17kg out of your generous 20kg allownace and thus leave you you very little for clothes anyway!

20kilo? ouch!  first time i weighed my gear was around the 19K mark this was just for the basic stuff not including weights. I was told to put my regs in with my carry on luggage to loose a bit of weight and also told to stick as much gear in my pockets when checking in, lol stick my BC under my coat take it off on the other side

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Col.Maniac @ Sep. 17 2003,13:16)]I was told to put my regs in with my carry on luggage to loose a bit of weight and also told to stick as much gear in my pockets when checking in, lol stick my BC under my coat take it off on the other side
I think that we may be abiding by all these suggestions if we ever get organised to go see kyrre in Narvik courtesy of ryanair and the "generous" luggage allowance, and don't someone tell me that we'd get more allowance if we flew BA I know but that itsn't the point or price  

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Sep. 15 2003,22:29)]I did  aliveaboard in august and used my full 7mm wetsuit. I was warm on the deck but just right in the water. If a 5mm is what you have got then I am sure it will be fine! I wouldnt ever recommend a shorty becuase of stingy things.

Hi, Jules hehe forgot all about this post

Next to no clothes?  erm not me
taking a cotton shirt
keep that nasty sun at bay lol.
Enjoy oh yes! only 2 weeks to go! Getting a bit woried about both instructors conspiring something about me grrr
, Just found out 1 other instructor aint married so better watch my back ;) as i heard what goes on in the evenings after a heavy drinking session ( no i dont drink).
Tony

1 - 18 of 18 Posts