·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I a recent poll, it turned out I was 10% Chav :frown:

So, I have decided to put it to practise, I want to suppliment my :beer:
consumption by 10% :teeth:

The thing is, I used to do home brewing many years ago, all the equipment has long since gone, so, where do I get new equipment, how much & whats the best stuff to brew?

Also can you get a cider brew kit?

cheers
Aaran

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I never had any tasty success with home brew lager! Someone who Angie knew near where she used to work used to brew some fantastic bitter.

I can see it now ......... crystal clear and ........... bright .......... it just looked shiny and tasted most excehiclent!!

The only other home brew I remember being really good was "carrot whisky" which my Uncle made once.

Do you know .............. were going to have a go a some wine as soon as there is some fruit about. We've got everything already ............ demi johns and ............

Thank you young Eeyore for the inspiration.

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Try here Home Brew (Homebrew) Beer and Wine Making Kits local enough for a look see (Darlington) and they do mail order too. I have not used them in years and have no other alligence, other than seeing John at the odd beer festival or two.

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
My brother used to keep his home brew in a plastic beer keg in the kitchen, it was quite large and resembled a water butt.
When I was visiting him we all went out for lunch one Saturday afternoon and upon our return we went through the kitchen door and the stench of stale beer was overpowering. Result - his puppy had chewed the tap off the keg and drank as much as it could, the rest spilling all over the floor. We found the dog in the corner of the kitchen and poor little bugger was completely rat-arsed.
He was so worried about the pup that he called a vet and the only recommendation he got was keep the dog somewhere dark until it came out of its drunken stewper, which apparently took 3 days.

I know its not much advice for your home brew, but its a true story and a warning as to where/how not to keep your "grogg", if you have apuppy.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I regularly make my own beer. These days, I tend to use the high quality all-malt kits (no sugar used), especially Woodforde's which cost £17.99 from my local home-brew shop, called the 'Happy Brewer' which is in Bedford. This is an excellent shop run by a real enthusiast called Melvyn. I think he does Cider kits but you could ring him up to check (01234 353856).

I will be up in Newcastle next Friday/Saturday visiting my mum so if you wanted to get the stuff from him ordering over the phone, I could collect and deliver it.

If you haven't got ant kit, you will need a brewing bin and a pressure barrel (rather than bottles), sterilising compound, a hygrometer and whatever kits you want. You may need finings depending upon the type of kit you choose.

·
Presenter - info on scuba diving dot com
536 Posts
Ah Melvyn with the funny eyes. :)

Bit of a character! Does he still do "grape points"?

I used to use him when I lived near Bedford.

Made 120 bottles of raspberry wine once - some went malolactic(fizzy) whilst I was working away once and the corks popped off leaving a real yeasy smell to come home to, but they were fab! :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
we use these guys

bloody marvelous. You go to the shop, select your brew and gather all the ingredients together. Chuck it all into the stainless steel kettles and voila! They filter it, ferment it in a temperature controlled environement and keg it. All you have to do is go back two weeks later and bottle it.

$150 for 6 slabs of anthing easily as good as you can get in the shops (and plent of stuff you can't buy)

The only drawback is having to buy a second fridge to keep it in

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
we use these guys

bloody marvelous. You go to the shop, select your brew and gather all the ingredients together. Chuck it all into the stainless steel kettles and voila! They filter it, ferment it in a temperature controlled environement and keg it. All you have to do is go back two weeks later and bottle it.

$150 for 6 slabs of anthing easily as good as you can get in the shops (and plent of stuff you can't buy)

The only drawback is having to buy a second fridge to keep it in
Yeah, we have the same thing here:

Brew By You - Tailored Brewing

I pay about $20 (and that's pushing it) for 2 slabs done at home, so they are still bloody costly compared with doing it yourself at home. Yes, use finings (every time), use bottles (long necks), avoid pressure barrels because if you f-ck up sterilising it, then you've f_cked the whole brew. At least one bad bottle out of 20 odd isn't the end of the world.

Also, always, ALWAYS use an airlock.

I've been HB-ing for about 5 yrs now, stick with Indian Pale Ale brews, they are the business. I just can't seem to get a bitter to come out right. Truth be known, I've been trying for a Robinsons or a Boddingtons but I just can't seem to get anything that is remotely like.

This is pretty close to my heart ATM as I've just come back fron farewelling a long serving (22 years) staff member. tried to set him up with a couple of mickeys but truth be known, he beat me.

And back to the OP.....yes, you can get Cider kits (they're in Coles & Woolworths here) and lastly....................don't ever EVER use cane sugar! Great to get p1ssed on but tastes awful.

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Boots used to sell all sorts of home brewing kits and equipment, I have no idea if they still do though... are you going to throw a YD beer testing party when its done ? Diving up your way on Saturday and a big party Saturday night :teeth:

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Well I've had a go now. We have a large Eldeflower tree in the back garden and I thought, why not? Bought a barrel, demijohns and airlocks from Wilkos (£22 ish) and yeast / sugar from the local Sainsbugs (not a lot)

I'll let you know in about 3 months or so...

Cheers all,

Noel.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
youcan get most of the stuff off the internet for very reasonable pricesyou can still get the kits from boots (well could last year) and they did some where you just made it in the bag (cider that is)Fin
Only you could reply sooooo quickly

Graham

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.