YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Has anyone ever made a set of home made ankle weights??? After seeing / using Tims home made weight shot bags Im impressed and not spending £30 on some over priced lead leg warmers?
?
Anyone got a knitting pattern sort of thing?? or is it sticky back plastic time!
:eek:gle: :eek:gre:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

£30!!! Where have you been looking Ben, you're talking about £14-15 for a decent pair, or wait till next week and get some from the Dive show

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I was thinking about the dive show anyway..
£15 a pair. Where are these cheap local shops you seem to frequent.
I must be shopping at shaft `em, rob `um and run!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Unfortunately Ben, I sold my ankle weights only last night to a nieghbour who's just joined the dive club I'm a member of, I let him have a pair of Beaver shot ankle weights, Typhoon fins and a Scubapro snorkel for £20 the lot... I wouldn't care, he won't need the ankle weights for a few month yet anyway.. soz mate

I paid £14 for the Beavers, the dive shop I use (my local) is Denney Diving who'll be at the Dive show anyway, so I'll introduce you and make sure he gives you a good deal, which he will anyway, he's alright is Chris.

Saying that, if I can find some cheap Jetfins at the show I'll let you have my other ankle weights which are really cool, hence me selling the Beavers in the first place.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

£7 ----- Grand. That 'll do. These places that charge an arm and a leg should be shot!!!!

Robbin !**"£&#36

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Cheap jetfins at the show? Nah! You don't want to look for them at the show. You want to go to the Divex website and order some of THEIR jetfins, which only cost £25.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Dominic on 11:14 am on Oct. 4, 2002
Cheap jetfins at the show? Nah! You don't want to look for them at the show. You want to go to the Divex website and order some of THEIR jetfins, which only cost £25.
<span =''>
Bollox to that! Brand new pair on EBay sitting at £12.50 which I'm bidding on so hands off!

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

£12.50 sounds like a good deal,

Whats ebays website address?
?

Only Joking.....

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Ive seen running weights for ankles in sports shops at around the 3 - 4 quid mark.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Jetfins mmm. Negatively buoyant though they may be, the recent Diver test didn't say much for their efficiency - or comfort. I fancy something faster, lighter, and keep my ankle weights...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imported post

Back to the ankle weights question ...

Another alternative is to obtain two straps with 'fastex' quick release buckles, and some old lead plumbing pipe.

Thread the strap through two suitable lengths (i.e. to much the circumfernce of your ankle) then hammer the lead pipe flat. This done (not too flat, mind!) hammer into a suitable radius bend.

Et voila, cheap ankle weights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imported post

Yeah, been out in la belle France for a couple of weeks - diving 'sous la terre' naturellement.

Though did have a dive in that big, blue, salty, wobbly thing near Marseilles. Spooky!

Lots of light, no walls to be seen, and no guidelines.

Think I'd best stick to small, mucky, murky holes in t' ground, and making cheap, homemade gear.

Cheers

Scoff
(CDG)

PS Resisted temptation to join in the 'solo' diving debate by Ammers, Dom, etc. Think I might be biased.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
PS Resisted temptation to join in the 'solo' diving debate by Ammers, Dom, etc. Think I might be biased.
<span =''>

You dive an Inspiration?? :greenangel:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imported post

Dominic,

Do I dive an Inspiration??? No.

I am a Cave Diving Group member, and I do not 'buddy' dive. In the UK buddy diving in caves is not normally an option (too small, too murky, too dangerous...) and hence I do not have the skills to then try and buddy dive when diving in caves abroad. If you need any further info on what we do and why, checkout the CDG website, or a recent editon of 9>90.

But as I've said before (many times - including a friendly chat with a WKPP bloke) 'Horse for Courses'... and good on yer if you can dive 'buddy' in its intended way at all times. Just wish I was that good a diver.

But I'm not. I'm just an underwater potholer...

Cheers

Scoff
CDG (Northern Section)
PS: And does an Inspiration fall under the heading 'cheap/ home-made'?

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Re Scoff,the man is far to modest by far,I wish I had his levels of ability(both in the water and in the Queen's English re.your recent articles).Take care,it's deep,dark and full of partial pressures!Regards,Hobby.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Scoff on 10:40 pm on Oct. 8, 2002
Back to the ankle weights question ...

Another alternative is to obtain two straps with 'fastex' quick release buckles, and some old lead plumbing pipe.

Thread the strap through two suitable lengths (i.e. to much the circumfernce of your ankle) then hammer the lead pipe flat. This done (not too flat, mind!) hammer into a suitable radius bend.

Et voila, cheap ankle weights.
<span =''>

Sounds like a cheapo pattern, nice one. Was going to buy some at the dive show but couldnt be bothered with the huge queues

1 - 20 of 25 Posts