YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I was watching BBC2's "Crazy Tricks of War" last night, in which hirsute host Dick Strawbridge attempted to build - a la Valerie Singleton - a submersible canoe, rebreather and limpet mine.

The rebreather was made from two whoopee cushions, an Oceanic Alpha 7, some corrugated hose and an army water bottle. The Limpet mine was made from a syringe, an aniseed ball, a tupperware full of porridge and a condom.

The canoe itself however was made from... a canoe and a Sea-doo "sea scooter".

I was disappointed that the pilot of the canoe wasn't using their home made rebreather. In fact although he was wearing a rebreather he seemed to be breathing open circuit.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yeah well, since his head was only just below the water.....

Was funny though

PS the canoe was an SoE design called Sleeping Beauty.....

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I knoticed those bubbles too. Tried looking for the OC cylinder but couldn't see it. Does anyone know what make of rebreather he had on his back? It was a white box with a small horizontal cylinder beneath. Or what this that Oceanic Alpha 7?

Dave C

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Didn't see the prog, but it sounds like a Drager Dolphin.  It being an SCR, you will get bubbles coming out of the top of it as it vents - not as much as OC though.

Sounds like a great programme, gutted to have missed it

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yes, it was a Draeger Dolphin which is only an SCR so there will be bubbles... Also, the 2nd guy was using the o/c bailout pozzie cycklon....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts