YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been slowly upgrading my home security after my last house insurance cost almost doubled as there is more an more pressure for certain lock types and after reading this today I am starting to know why.

BBC News - Rise in 'lock snapping' burglaries in West Yorkshire

The entry strategy is pretty simple and very very quick..

The question to the masses is have you been targeted like this and what measures have you been taking of late as I am now sitting on more £'s worth of dive kit than any other valuable in the house?

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Yorkshire style?

Whippet.

On a String.

Job Jobbed! ;)

Reactions: 12480

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
But seriously...

What's your strategy?

Are you going to make your house impregnable? Damned near impossible.

Are you going to do enough to convince the insurance company that you did what was right and proper, so they should cough up?

Or are you going to try to deter burglars from your house?

Option 1 is no go - If I wanted to get into your house (assuming a standard type house) I could do so easily inside 5 minutes with just a ladder, a small crow bar and a knife.

Option 2 is a minimum standard and frankly, you are dicing with danger here. Insurance companies have a habit of being unreasonable at claim time, as well as at premium time!

Option 3 is your best bet. In particular, things like security lights, additional locks on your doors, good garden gates, wheely bins stored round the back of your house not the front, loose bricks etc removed from garden walls... the list goes on. The first objective is to not make your house stand out from the others in your area in terms of kerb appeal to burglars. This means laptops not left in view of windows, toilet window not left on the latch, etc etc.

Second objective is to make it positively more difficult for a burglar to get in uninterrupted. This means lights, alarms, additional locks (where appropriate) and good gates / fences to prevent them getting in off the street. If they have to stand there in the floodlights and spend ages breaking into your front door, in full view of the neighbours, they are going to think twice. But remember, it's about making your neighbours look like a better prospect - if you do your house up like fort knox, it shows you are either paranoid and just asking to be turned over if you leave your guard down, or you have something worth guarding.

In summary, the best thing you can do is call your local crime stoppers line and get the local fuzz to come over and take a look at your security arrangements. They call this crime prevention / community policing and actually the advice is usually very good and very specific to your local area.

Reactions: petlowe

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
It's possibly a good thing that the scumbags are only damaging the lock to gain entry.

If they forced the door the old fashioned way it often means a new door.

Locks don't put them off so I don't think having cylinder locks is making a home any more vulnerable. If they come tooled up they'll get in if they want to.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
You can have the best locks in the world but a quick kick opens most standard doors.

Having spoken with house breakers in the past, it was a careers choice where I grew up, they said that the biggest deterrent was a dog, see a dog, move on to a house without one... Dogs are noisy and may be vicious, it was considered not worth the aggravation.

Or get CCTV, it is cheap enough nowadays

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Option 1 is no go - If I wanted to get into your house (assuming a standard type house) I could do so easily inside 5 minutes with just a ladder, a small crow bar and a knife.
I challenge you to get in here with those tools.... It is a standard build and we have no dog.... If you manage it the beers are on me for the night, if you don't then they are on you....

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
I challenge you to get in here with those tools.... It is a standard build and we have no dog.... If you manage it the beers are on me for the night, if you don't then they are on you....
So you'll be buying beers in the early hours of tomorrow morning when you wake up to see Ian_6301 stood over you ? :D

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
So you'll be buying beers in the early hours of tomorrow morning when you wake up to see Ian_6301 stood over you ? :D
;) If he is stood over me he wont be drinking much beer with a mouthful of baseball bat.... or the last line of defence as I like to call it

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I live in Kent and leave the doors unlocked, have done for the past 10 years. Have nosey neighbours(for which I'm grateful). But don't want the hassle of replacing doors/windows. Also have nothing worth stealing that I would care about apart from family pics etc.

If someone want to get in they will. If you leave a window open they will take the opportunity. If you leave the door unlocked they are generally too stupid to think of that which is why they spend time in the stir...

Enjoy this video if you need a new car...

lock picking vid part 2,sheppey daz - YouTube

·
Go Big or Go Home
1,865 Posts
Bat is bad news,well known for it menace and intent,however a nice golf bag et al is much more acceptable.

I have the cctv and hope they go next door.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have a speargun and a JCB, but if things became violent, I have SWMBO to set on them.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
We avoided burglars by moving to Cornwall. In our village, burglary consists of a man in a hoody leaving a box of organic vegetables on your doorstep and washing your car if he's got time. :thumbs_up:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts