YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Our house stood out because the one next door looked run down, despite ours being the "harder "target. Thats what the copper reckoned anyway.

As for glass being fragile, sealed units are tougher than they look. Our kitchen window had at least three visible impact points from a brick on what was left, they then kicked what was left in using the lead flashing on the conservatory to steady their balance while perched on the window ledge.

I wish the bugger had slipped and slashed his femoral artiery.

We were broken into at about five in the afternoon on a midweek May day, they exited the house as my wife pulled onto the drive.

I wont have an alarm on the house, it just gives the insurance a list of potential cop outs if you try to claim; believe me they dont need any extra help in screwing you over on the claim as it is.

You could always make the house look like a fortress, but as the owners of a local chain of fish and chip shops found out; thats sod all use when you end up on the recieving end of a home invasion and get held hostage `till you cough up the loot.

·
Keyboard Worrier
4,155 Posts
I live in Kent and leave the doors unlocked, have done for the past 10 years. Have nosey neighbours(for which I'm grateful). But don't want the hassle of replacing doors/windows. Also have nothing worth stealing that I would care about apart from family pics etc.

If someone want to get in they will. If you leave a window open they will take the opportunity. If you leave the door unlocked they are generally too stupid to think of that which is why they spend time in the stir...

Enjoy this video if you need a new car...

lock picking vid part 2,sheppey daz - YouTube
You're a bad man and I claim my five pounds...;-)

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I have quite a sophisticated all in-one system, of alarm, entrapment
and punishment. Has the added bonus of being an excellent draught
excluder or emergency slippers.

Say hello to my little* friend :teeth:

*Well, little compared with a truck, he's 7.5 stone :teeth:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts

Sat hello to my little* friend :teeth:

Where do you put your feet for slippers, surely you'd need two of these puppies?

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Where do you put your feet for slippers, surely you'd need two of these puppies?
Nah you just shove your feet under him. He's about 1.5m long
when lying down + tail, so plenty to warm you feet on :teeth:

Soft as anything really, that is until you invade his space, then
unleash the hounds of hell, literally.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Euro Cylinder Lock ,,

to snap it you first need to get the door handle and cover off ,, that should be bolted on from the inside of your house ,

so a big lump hammer and a good set of plyers will be needed ,, having said that most doors wont stand up to a lump hammer

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Euro Cylinder Lock ,,

to snap it you first need to get the door handle and cover off ,, that should be bolted on from the inside of your house ,

so a big lump hammer and a good set of plyers will be needed ,, having said that most doors wont stand up to a lump hammer
ps iv snapped this type of lock but only from the inside of a house after removing the handle, ( the owner had lost her keys) to that door

thinking about it , im not sure you could pull the lock out from the outside even if you snap it first ,, not tryed it so i cant say for sure ,,

but i remember having split the lock from the in side i still had to flip the lock /latch over to open said door ,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Haaf46f9hf4 last bit is what you need to watch

·
Registered
6 Posts

Say hello to my little* friend :teeth:

I have 10 of these as my Alarm system, one of which below (not me in the pics I hasten to add)

hound of the baskervilles moment whenever a car pulls onto our lane

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Dogs are the way to go as a deterent, provided that have a scarey bark! Not sure the yip yip of a chihuahua would worry me too much, beyond it being an annoying distraction and attracting attention.
We're lucky that DoggieT barks at anything unusual, as I re-discovered last night, when the woofs was also backed up by him putting his front paws onto the window ledge and pressing his nose against the glass, admirably pointing out that a) he's a big dog and b) that his paws/head/claws/teeth look equally large. Not sure I'd take the chance to be honest. Easier targets nearby (excluding the guy down the road with his barely tame and extremely boisterous german shepherds).

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The one weakness with dogs is that they are susceptible to poisoning, whereas, after many years of consuming her own cooking, SWMBO is now immune to all known toxins.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The one weakness with dogs is that they are susceptible to poisoning, whereas, after many years of consuming her own cooking, SWMBO is now immune to all known toxins.
I'm staying out of that one!!! :D
Anyway, it's true (the poisoning bit, not your good ladies cooking!) but they'd have to break in first to feed it to DoggieT (our letterbox is shite and jammed shut!) thus ruining the stealth effect!

Don't burglars just carry steak around with them? ;-)
That being the case, I'll make sure I'm in when they try to raid the place - MrsT is a veggie, so meat's rare around our place and steak's rarer still, so the dog will have serious competition to get at it!!!

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Ever considered what happens after woofoms sinks his teeth into the burglar?
Security guard on our site was being prosecuted because his dog bit somone he caught breaking into the site; only reson the prosecution fell through was the thief got killed crashing a stolen car before the case reached court.

TerryH, that is one gorgeous dog.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts