YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first few sea dives this week, and had a few issues with my mask and with the comfort of the hoods I was renting.

Dive 1: O3 Hood was giving me jaw-ache, mask leaked like a sieve throughout the dive. My mask often leaks a little but this was a whole new level of suck. The seal seemed to be under the edge of the hood all around, so I'm not sure what this was about.

Dive 2: Switched to a Beaver hood, somewhat more comfortable, not a single leak.

Dive 3-5: Varying levels of leakage (even some with no hood on the 5th dive), but nowhere near as bad as dive 1.

I'm a bit reluctant to replace the mask as I shelled out for prescription lenses, and moreso given that testing it above ground it keeps a fine seal and won't fall off my face even if I let it hang there face-down for a bit. That said, if I can find another one that will take prescription lenses and I was sure would fix the problem, I'd go for it and keep the old one as a spare.

So:

1. Have other people found that hoods affect their mask seal (other than the obvious hood getting caught under the rim)?

2. Is there much I can do to find out why my mask is leaking and if it's avoidable, say by making assorted facial expressions underwater?

3. If I go for a new mask, how can I test it more exhaustively before purchase?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Sounds like the OThree hood was too small for you. I went from a Beaver hood to OThree and found it a much better fit. You can always trim around the edges to make it more comfy for you, but if its a rental they will take exception to you doing that ;)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
There's more to buying a mask than "I like the look of that one", put it on your face (don't put the strap on) and inhale through your nose, does it stay there? best to try this with a reg in your mouth.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
You can put the hood on after the mask as well. This might help with the mask fit. I have to say I have tried this and don't personally like it but some folk get on OK.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's more to buying a mask than "I like the look of that one", put it on your face (don't put the strap on) and inhale through your nose, does it stay there? best to try this with a reg in your mouth.
Stays in place like it's glued there, even with the weight of a wet strap cover pulling it down. Only tried it once with a reg in though, and that only briefly as said reg wasn't connected to a tank. Will give it another go at the pool on Thursday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like the OThree hood was too small for you. I went from a Beaver hood to OThree and found it a much better fit. You can always trim around the edges to make it more comfy for you, but if its a rental they will take exception to you doing that ;)
Yeah, the ability to chalk and cut has moved hood to the top of my to-buy list. I shall go for one that has a size chart including hat size I think as the Beaver one I rented didn't have a legible label.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Suggest if you hire a hood again and it suits your mask, face, head size. Then try to buy it, most shops like to sell on older gear. Do you need a new hood ? No you need one that is comfortable and doesn't make your mask leak.
Tim Digger

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
Erm.... What brand of mask is this?
I have binned 2 masks that would leak like sods when I had a hood on if they were at all out of place, won't name names but the distortion of face should be something that they can cope with.
PS. Which bit of North London and what head size are you, I have a bunch of spare hoods your welcome to play around with until one works....

PL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Erm.... What brand of mask is this?
I have binned 2 masks that would leak like sods when I had a hood on if they were at all out of place, won't name names but the distortion of face should be something that they can cope with.
PS. Which bit of North London and what head size are you, I have a bunch of spare hoods your welcome to play around with until one works....

PL
It's a Tusa Splendive IV. I live in Islington and have a 24" noggin.

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
It's a Tusa Splendive IV. I live in Islington and have a 24" noggin.
After a very frustrating 15 minute search of my house I have determined that I have a 22" lump on my shoulders.
Net net you have a rather large appendage and no wonder your mask had issues if you were in anything other than a very XXL sized hood.
The symptoms would have been it felt like your brain was oozing from your ears.

As I understand it waterproof hoods won't fit and your going to have to look very carefully for ones that do, sadly mine won't help you.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
45 quid for a mask that leaks - ouch. I have had a number of hoods over the years that were rubbish. Oddly enough they were all "expensive" ones that came with a drysuit. The worst was a BARE item. Luckily ebay is a good home for these things.

I use the Decathlon stuff and have found it to be pretty OK. For sure it's not the best thermally and if you are in really cold water then you will wish you had bought something a bit more costly. There's a store at Surrey Quays. At least then you get to try on a range of items.

HD950 hood TRIBORD - Neoprene accessories Neoprene accessories - On sale on...

You can cut these up and modify them easily enough at that money. The really cheap masks are not half bad as a backup as well, last ones I bought were about €8 IIRC which is enough if you lose/break them. their low volume masks for spear fishing are pretty decent as a primary mask.

Perhaps not worth a specific trip but if you're that end of town have a look.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i would advise against buying your own hood until you have a drysuit as the suit you buy will effect your hood choice. just keep renting different hoods until you find one that suits then buy that brand. I'm a 23.5 inch head and use a XL Waterproof and find that a tiny bit loose and a large scubapro which is a bit tight so you may want to try an XL in both. finding a mask you like is the hardest thing in diving. I use nothing but Cressi masks as they fit me perfectly my GF uses nothing but mares for the same reason. so once you find a brand that works you will probably want to stick with it. I found Tusa masks to be very wide and leaked on my face as it is quite narrow. Try a mask with a very soft silicone skirt as these are better at adapting to changes in face shape. it's worth spending the money now as a good mask will last you years whereas a bad one will make ever dive miserable.

is the a medical reason why you can't use contacts? as these are a much better choice than prescription masks. daily disposables are great.

Roddy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts