YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Until TV told me (abt 4 am) I didn't know the origin of the camera term "snapshot". Do you know?
:)

BTW, there is a prog about German WWII subs getting close to America that is on Sky TV tonight - on Discovery or Nat Geo or the History Channel. The preview said it was a "premier" and I hope they don't mean 'just for that channel / has been on another channel before'. Anyway, looks like it might have good 'diving potential'. It'll be repeated quite a few times so I'll post some more accurate info tomorrow.

Oo, and the "Secret of Bin Laden's Lair" is on. Could be worth a look.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, what is the origin of the term. I'd assumed it was because the camera shutter makes a sort of "snap" noise.
Nope, it's because of something the first Kodak camera didn't have and is 'shooting related". :)

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, sorry, I missed the "do you know?" bit of your first post.
You took a snapshot view and missed some of the target? :)

The first Kodak cameras were effectively 'sealed units' and held film with 100 shots on it and you returned the wholw camera back to Kodak. The first cameras were equiv to about 3 months salary for most people.

The cameras had no view finder and the expression snap shot (shooting from the hip) was borrowed from shooting terminology. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts