YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this is the right thread but think its as good as i'm gonna get as I can't find a divers using strange alternative therapies forum. A fair weather diver mate of mine gave me a bell (no idea why except think i'm on of only a few other divers about in the uk she knows) asking about hopi ear candles and if they are safe to use before diving. Truth be told I didn't know what these things were till I did a google for em. for the uninitiated Hopi Ear Candles and Ear Candling by Lynne Hancher this should give you an idea. She just wants to know if anyone knows if it is safe to dive shortly after using this treatment and how long it should be left after treatment before diving again. Does anyone on here have this treatment? Hope someone can help cos i don't know basically.

Cheers James

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was told not to get the ears wet for 24 hours after each treatment, I didn't ask specifically about diving though, so best thing is to ask the therapist.

Cheers

Andy

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
My mate had this done and raves about it i've been contemplating giving it a try myself just to clear my sinus's a bit. He was diving about 5 days after having it done and had no ill effects so AFAIK it's fine but i'm no doctor.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Andy i'll pass that on, just for my own interest now what does it do for you? I've read the website I posted but am not sure how much of that is marketing and how much is noticable.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
.... just for my own interest now what does it do for you? ....
It takes money off very stupid people and therefore makes them sooo.... much lighter.

Chris

Reactions: Jules and Mary

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
It takes money off very stupid people and therefore makes them sooo.... much lighter.

Chris
Now Now Chris ;)

Ear Candling is a bit like all alternative therapies. The benefits are mainly felt as a type of placebo effect - that is to say that after analysis, ear candling has been shown to actually make no positive difference physically.

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the USA has gone as far as confiscating stock of people who have been doing candling as they have been known to cause accidental physical damage (such as wax dripping into the ear through the candle etc..)

However, people generally feel better because it has a change on an emotional level. Much like something like Reiki, which does nothing physical, but it makes people feel relaxed and happy.

My alternative therapy is diving :)

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
The mate of mine who had it done was having trouble clearing sudafed etc wasn't working so decided to give it a try says it worked a treat hence i thought i may give it a go for 15 quid maybe worth a punt

·
Registered
175 Posts
Certainly worked well for me. I was having a lot of trouble equalising one ear before, the treatment, it cleared out a fair bit of wax and sorted out a bit of congestion in the eustacian tube. I've not had any problems with equalising since, just hope it lasts.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys, wasn't sure if anyone would have heard of these, but I should know better than to doubt YD'ers. I'll pass on your comments. Sparky, you say its only about £15 for a go? Doesn't sound bad, might give it a go see what its all about, always up for a new experience (well almost).

Thanks again guys.

James

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Cheers guys, wasn't sure if anyone would have heard of these, but I should know better than to doubt YD'ers. I'll pass on your comments. Sparky, you say its only about £15 for a go? Doesn't sound bad, might give it a go see what its all about, always up for a new experience (well almost).

Thanks again guys.

James
Again only going off what a mate said i'll let you know when i do it myself but apparently £15 so not a huge loss if it's shite :teeth:

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
i had mine done and was very impressed, the goop that was drawn out was pretty grim.
I've had mine done after problems with one ear blocked for over 3 weeks and being in discomfort AND UNABLE TO DIVE
I was very skeptical
they cleared nearly straight away
I now had it done maybe 3 times over 2 years and it seems to help!

so to the people who haven't had it done and read whats on the web and think its the truth maybe you should think again! not everything on here is correct !

to others who have had it done with ill effect I sympathise after all what do I know......

to those who have problems with their ears I really know what your going through and those who don't consider yourself very lucky.

Obviously this is only my opinion I have no medical background!

steven

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Its shite. The loss of hearing in one ear is a big price to pay.

Why Ear Candling Is Not a Good Idea

Chris
Shame that whaddyercallher MD can't spell :D

"Testing By Skeptics"

Weren't Skeptics the baddies in the Dark Crystal? ;)

No matter how sceptical you may be I hardly think you can really attribute this to candling - more to a fatal mix of stupidity and bad luck!

Alaska Fire Marshall Gary L. Powell has reported two instances of significant fires associated with ear candling., one of which led to the user's death. On January 27, 2005 a 59-year-old woman ignited her bedding when she dropped an ear candle that she was attempting to use the ear without any assistance. The candle ignited the bedding and quickly spread to curtains and other combustibles in the room. The woman did escaped but suffered an asthma attack and died in a hospital emergency room [5].

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
The goop 'drawn out' of your ears is simply the wax from the candle itself.

Quite how people think it draws wax out against gravity by a gentle hot air convection current simply amazes me.

Have a google for a few scientific debunks of this one....

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
As previously alluded to, there is no evidence to suggest that these wondrous therapies work: they don't have any physical effect at all. But if people feel it works for them, then i'm all for it.

Placebo effect is rather important and from my (limited) medical training to date, it would seem unwise to try and discredit any alternative therapies merely to prove a point of science at the risk of depriving an individual from something they perceive to be of benefit to them.

Bit of an overly wordy sentence, but I hope you get my drift?!

S.

·
Life is rushing past!
1,206 Posts
I had my ears done after a weeks diving in Sharm, what surprised me was the amount of salt there was in my ears that was drawn out by the candle, as after every dive I would give my ears a really good rinse out with fresh water.

The guy who does it is an english doctor who now works out there and he said that if you think you have a prob when you land and get to the boat he will come down to the marina and clear your ears so as you don't wreck your weeks diving.

·
Long time no sea
710 Posts
Feeble.

Dont mistake alternative therapies for anything other than a recreational activity. If they worked in any way above 'placebo for the gullible' then they would be branded by glaxo et al.

I was having a lot of trouble equalising one ear before, the treatment, it cleared out a fair bit of wax and sorted out a bit of congestion in the eustacian tube.
physically impossible.

Next time you get yourself bent call a colour therapist or have some reflexology.

have fun

Neill

·
Registered
2 Posts
hopi candles

As a GP,I was sceptical about these Hopi candles too but they do seem to help people who are having trouble equalising whether it be divers or those on flights abroad.They apply a mild suction to the outer ear and ear drum and can help to clear the Eustachian tube.
My son used to cry in agony every time we descended in a plane to our destination until we used these candles since which he has been pain free.He had done his PADI junior open water course but had great trouble equalising but since using the candles has no problems at all!!

I am unsure about how long you should wait after a treatment before diving,but in Sharm,Hopi candles are being offered at some dive centres,and you are allowed to dive the following day.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts