YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi want to pick the collective YD brain on this one. I've not really had a proper look at my regs yet but I am thinking about putting a longer hose on one of my regs (don't want to start that debate again though) and was wondering how easy this is n if there is anything I should look out for. I am thinking about doing this on an Oceanic Delta 4 which has that little swivel area on it just before the second stage. Is this something I can quite happily do myself? Think it is, but just want to check opinions before I go dismantling things.

Cheers James

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Did it with my regs (legend lx's) with no problems. Just be careful that you don't cross thread and make sure any o-rings are in good condition and properly seated.

Lloyd

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Lloyd, am summoning up the balls to give it a go. jus out of intrest I lived in Cardiff a few years, where bouts are you based? I used to live firstly in Rommilly Road Canton, then on City road roath for a couple of years.

·
1,451 Posts
Being an undergrad in Cardiff means I've lived all over :) Started off just of salisbury road in cathays, then on pearl street (adamsdown), and then off adamsdown square. Since finishing all that melarky I'm settled by the LIDL in the lovely named Splott. Still I'm a minutes walk from the pub, 2 minutes drive from one LDS, and quick easy access to the M4 :)

City Rd, ahh, place of legends, drinking in tut 'n' shive until kicking out time, and then to Kismet for the cheapest and best curries ever :D

Like the sig by the way, some of my favs are:
Quando podeces te regi eorum fecerunt?
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you are going to fit a longer hose use one by the manufacturer.
The reg should then remain EN250 compliant.
There are a number of cheap hoses on the market which have a smaller opening compared to the manufacturers standard hose. This reduces the flow through the hose, and can cause the reg to fail an EN250 test.
I have carried out these tests and have seen a reg which would be able to go to 60 metres fail at thirty metres.

·
1,451 Posts
Does Latin really sound profound? And was the asshole who made him King really assassinated in the mall?
:teeth:
Close....

Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound
What arseholes made you their king?
May faulty logic undermine your entire philosophy

I'm sure I've seen the first one branded about on the BBC website recently. The other two came from the swearasarus which will show you how to swear in loads of languages (fun gave with foreign friends) was looking for a group motto a while back and dound it. Warning: this site has pics of boobies at the sides :).

Lloyd

·
1,451 Posts
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant
I'm not giving my permission to have my name linked to this one when someone is trying to make fun of the DIR boys though :angel:

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I'm not giving my permission to have my name linked to this one when someone is trying to make fun of the DIR boys though :angel:
Git :D

"May faulty logic undermine your entire philosophy"

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok now just an interesting thought, i've got the show signature box ticked, but when i post i can't see it jus thought i'd mention it while we are kind of on the subject

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
If you are going to fit a longer hose use one by the manufacturer.
The reg should then remain EN250 compliant.
There are a number of cheap hoses on the market which have a smaller opening compared to the manufacturers standard hose. This reduces the flow through the hose, and can cause the reg to fail an EN250 test.
I have carried out these tests and have seen a reg which would be able to go to 60 metres fail at thirty metres.
I'm sorry to have to pick fault with this after your very helpful post to me earlier (again thanks).

How many manufacturers offer 2m hoses?

Who gives a monkeys about EN250?

If there are cheap crap hoses please tell us which ones they are so we can avoid them. Tell us which after-market ones are OK as well.... (I run Halcyon 2m hoses - I like them as they are soft and flexible. I had some off Woz before and they were OK - got nicked - never noticed any loss of performance with any or indeed the 1.5m Beavers I use for single tank set up - none of these three make regs...)

I understand what you are saying but without more information its a bit pointless manufacturerspeak TBH.

Chris

·
Registered
178 Posts
The hoses I have come across are not marked with manufacturers names or after market distributors details.
One way to check is to look at the diameter of the bore of the fitting that attaches to the first stage.

Most of the major firms use a bore of around 5mm diameter.

The aftermarket hoses can have a diameter of 3 to 3.5mm.

I did speak to Phil at Nik Naks at a show a couple of years ago about testing a Halcyon hose. This was after I had tested an Atomic reg that failed EN250 at 37 metres that had been fitted with an aftermarket hose. On fitting an Atomic hose the reg passed En 250 no problem.
With a difference between the two set ups of an inhalation pressure of 83 millibar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.