·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I've got the fairly typical twinset hose routing of:

Long hose & wing inflator on right

Backup DV, suit inflator and SPG on left

The long hose is no problem: It goes straight down from the 1st stage.
Ditto the SPG and the drysuit direct feed (which is routed under my left arm)

But, the wing feed and the necklaced DV… well, they're both routed behind my neck. Both my first stages are Apeks, so the hoses start out pointing straight down, then they basically have to bend 90º to go where I need them. They've got hose protectors on them, but nonetheless, they're still being bent an awful lot in a small space.

But you never seem to hear of anyone using swivel tees to solve this problem - consensus is that you just let the hoses bend.

Why? Are there any problems with using these things that I don't know about? Has anyone here used them?

If you aren't sure what I mean, go to the SAP catalogue and look under "Swivel adaptors" - part #3097.

You can get ones that split into more than one port, but I don't need those. Just a simple 90º bend would solve the issue. I'm just not sure if they're worthwhile, or more trouble than they're worth..

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Dom,

just remove the hose protectors. I have removed all of mine as I had some quite nasty bends with them fitted and now have a much slicker hose routing. Those swivel things are not needed.

Mark  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

I started out without hose protectors.

The severity of the bending was so bad I felt obliged to stick on protectors to take the strain off the hoses...

I'll try and get a pic or two online tonight... been meaning to do some updating on my web page anyway..

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Those swivels are not a good idea as it introduces another three ?! failure points, the swivel itself and the two swaged ends where it is placed.

What regs are you using ?

I use TX100's which have a slight incline were the hoses exit the reg. This means that the angle is not quite so sharp.

You might be able to improve the routing by flipping the regs the other way round ie TX100's are commonly pointing outwards whereas DS4's usually point inwards.

Hope that helps.

WL

PS Hose protectors don't really need to be fitted. If you have a hose that has a sharp bend it makes sense to not have a protector on it so that you can regularly check for damage on the swages.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>What Apex units are you useing?

My ones swivel on the ist stage so I just put the short hose one on at a 45 deg angle and swivel the end so the hoses arnt to bent. The long hose goes streight down any way so thats not a problem.

I have a swivel on one of my deco regs as I found it much more comfortable in the mouth than with a hose comming off of a stage. I use it with 85% o2 and it hasent failed or leeked yet and total servicing to date (but 18months) is errrrr none.

Ok it looks a bit funney with one flat first stage and one at an angle but what the hell

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

I'm using a TX100 and a DS4. Probably not helped by the narrow-ness of twin 7s as opposed to 12s...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I see what you mean. The FH6 1st stage will give you a much better hose routing if you face it in the other direction (so the environmental seal points away from the isolator) like this - FH6 configuration and remove the hose protectors.

Those 1st stages work better that way. The DS4 is ok as it is but I don't see why you can't make that face out as well. The DS4 allows for a better long-hose routing than the FH6 as the hose points pretty much straight down behind the wing with no bends.

HTH

Mark.

PS. Having the 1st stage facing out does not make any difference at all when it comes to reaching/manipulating your valves.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

FH6... that's the first time I've come across TX100s under that name...

The problem with having it facing the other way on the left post is that you're then using the non-standard port. So I'll put it back on the right, pointing outwards, and see how it goes: At least the long hose has more slack in it

I've not done it that way b4 as it seemed it would get in the way of the valves. We shall see...

Maybe I should solve the whole issue by finding somebody who'll swap the FH6 for a DS4...

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

FH6 - Flathead 6 - Americanism

Keep the DS4 the same as it is. If you flip it round then your BC inflator hose will be at a tighter angle and your long hose will not hang straight down, especially with larger cylinders.

Try it with and without hose protectors to see if it makes it slightly easier

HTH

WL

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Turned the TX100/FH6 around so it was pointing outwards. It's certainly taken the strain off the wing feed, and the long hose is only mildly kinked.

As far as I can tell above water, it's not made reaching the valve a problem.

So now the only hose I have at any kind of angle is the backup DV, which isn't all that bad.

So I think I'll leave it at that, for the moment.

Ta all!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Dom

I've just replaced my TX40's with TX100's (Thanks to a fellow YDer) and I initially had the F6's pointing inwards as I had the original TX40 first stages configured that way but I was really unhappy with the new hose routing and was starting to regret selling off my TX40's when I remembered the equipment images on the WKPP site... I was gobsmacked when I realised that I had them on the wrong pillars, because my way had seemed the correct way to me because as you, I feared that the other way around would block access to the valves..

Anyway, I reversed them to match the images and the hose routing 'was' much better and reaching the valve knobs is not a problem at all, infact it's better this way as having the first stages pointing out actually helps me during shutdowns, I can grab the first stage very easily and then move onto the knob itself....

The right hand valve and the isolator valve is fairly easily reached for me but I had great difficulty reaching the left hand one, but now I can actually hold onto the right hand first stage as I close the left side down....  it sounds convoluted but it makes life much easier for me and it works...

So my point is, that having the stages pointing out does not impede access to your valves

Hope that helps

Regards
Dave.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

Dom

Looking at the first photo, the 90 degree bends on your set, my opinion look ok, my set has a tighter bend than yours.

Simon

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

Tried the revised hose routing in the pool last night.

The TX100 pointing outwards does indeed help with the wing feed, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems with reaching the valve either - so that's good.

Because the wing feed isn't travelling such a bendy route, tho, it's now too long - gonna have to shroten it a tad.

And having repalced my old yellow octopus hose for a proper short one, I can finally route my backup DV over my shoulder instead of under my armpit - MUCH better! Tho it could stand to loose an inch or so as well..

So I think I can call it sorted out. Cheers all.

Next on the agenda - varying the cylinder height..

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I have got three 90 deg "elbows" in use on my twins + on a single cylinder I have a swivel T fitting. No problems so far & they have made hose routing much easier and streamlined.

I always thought the greatest occurrence of O ring failure was on opening the cylinder valves and putting pressure into the hoses etc?

Has anyone suffered an O ring failure outside of this time whilst diving?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts