YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hello all,

I'd appreciate any pictures or descriptions (including hose lengths) for twin set ups.

Also, any web links just as welcome.

Furthermore, does anyone view it as a big deal two have different makes of first and second stages in such a set up? (both cold water).

What do I need to watch out for when moving over to a twin set up as opposed to 15l single and a 15l with pony, excluding considerations of tank size for twins and manifolds.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Graham

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Graham

I could prattle on about the options, but as Dominic has already done all the hard work, check out his site -there's lots of pictures and text there that may help.  There's even a section on hose routing .  You may also want to do a search for previous posts on this subject - there should be loads

Anyway, HTH
Martin

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Martin.....just what I was after...really appreciate it.

Also, thanks to Dom.

Any other suggestions, pointers always welcome though.

Best regards.

Graham

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Nov. 25 2003,12:53)]Furthermore, does anyone view it as a big deal two have different makes of first and second stages in such a set up? (both cold water).
i assume you mean first and second stages as in right reg and left reg? you don't mean different first and second stages on the same reg do you?  

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Make x first stage to that make reg (primary) and make y first stage to that make reg....

Keeping make x/y first stage with make x/y second stage in each case.

All rated to 300....

Cheers.

Graham

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Nov. 25 2003,13:41)]Make x first stage to that make reg (primary) and make y first stage to that make reg....

Keeping make x/y first stage with make x/y second stage in each case.

All rated to 300....

Cheers.

Graham
nope, you've lost me!

i never was any good at algebra  

the subject of having different make regs on different cylinders was discussed not long ago.....

don't know how to make a link but it was on a thread about pony cylinders. general consensus was that it's ok! (but if you've got all the same you've got the option of swapping bits around if something goes wrong)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Take my Beuchat first stage with my Beuchat second stage as my primary reg and have my SPro first stage with my Spro second stage as my secondary reg.

Take the point about them being the same on both posts but I have spares for everything in any case. So the upshot is that it doesn't really matter from what you say...which is what I thought, but wanted to ask opinions.

Thanks for your help.....

Regards,

Graham

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

aha, got it now. why couldn't you talk english in the first place?!

someone made the point that if one of the regs you're using doesn't cope with e.g. cold, dirt very well, then if you've got two different makes it makes it less likely that the other one will go too.  not sure how valid that is, but there you go.

i personally have apeks and scubapro, but that's just the way it worked out, not cos i specifically chose to have different brands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Imported post

Hi Graham

I rig my regs as shown on Dominic's hose routing website. The only thing I would add is to think about getting custom length hoses. It really does keep everything very neat and reduces chances of hoses getting snagged on anything.  

From memory my hose lengths are:
Primary - 7 ft
Secondary - 22 inch
High pressure - 24 inch

You can buy custom length hose kits from underwater explorers in portland, cant remember how much they were it was a while ago since I got them.

Hope that helps

Dave

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I didn't bother with custom-length hoses as such..

Hoses are almost invariably too long, so I got re-useable hose ends and just chopped off the excess

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I think that the main idea behind having the same regs on all cylinders and stages is that if one packs up while on the day boat (for example) you always have spares. also, they all feel the same and you can compare them if one feels a bit "funny".

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Imported post

Hows about routing of the long hose? I'm not entirely comfortable or convinced about 'hogging' it just yet... I know a lot of people bungie the long hose - how do they do this? What's the best method? Any pics?

As a BSAC diver - which it would appear atm don't condone pulling the reg from a divers mouth - I kinda thought it could be benficial to have the octo on a long hose and bungied. Even if it is to be found on a necklace... Any thoughts?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Justin Owen @ Nov. 25 2003,23:48)]Hows about routing of the long hose? I'm not entirely comfortable or convinced about 'hogging' it just yet... I know a lot of people bungie the long hose - how do they do this? What's the best method? Any pics?
I would suggest giving it a try.  I found it quite comforttable from the first time I tried it.

But if you prefer to bungee it, probably the easiest way is to put a loop of bungee around one cylinder, bend the hose in the middle and push the middle section either down the bungee or up from the bottom.

When you pull the hose, it should just pull straight out of the bungee.

Hope that helps, but willl try and get a picture and post it if not.

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As a BSAC diver - which it would appear atm don't condone pulling the reg from a divers mouth - I kinda thought it could be benficial to have the octo on a long hose and bungied.
BSAC don't allow teaching it - that doesn't stop you configuring for it.
I have a few buddies who have stuffed long hoses on octopi - they're a nightmare: come uncoiled, take a lot of time to get coiled up in the first place, the hose gets in the way... I daresay there IS a simple and easy way of stuffing a long hose, but nobody in my club has found it yet

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Question about long hoses....(2m)

My question is, why bother?...ok...I know I'll hear lots of arguments and opinions.

"To long hose or not to long hose.." post, I said I thought long hoses are a pain in the bum...and I'll stick by that.

That avoids hogging and bungies...

I dived with a long hose on 20-30 dives to try and appreciate the arguments...but I can't.

The only time I can see a long hose being of legitimate use is in caves.

Blast away lads...I'm still a novice.

Regards all.

Graham

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Dec. 04 2003,22:52)]The only time I can see a long hose being of legitimate use is in caves.
Which is a similar overhead enviroment as a wreck penetration.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Oddly, long hoses stick out far less are are threfore less of an entanglement hazard:

And they're just generally more versatile..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts