YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rare non-diving rant from me, please excuse it in advance...

We are in the process of buying a new house. We got the fixtures and fittings form from the vendors yesterday.

They have indicated that when they move out, they wish to take the light switches and power sockets with them!

WTF!?!?!?

I sense trouble ahead... :angry:

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. A letter querying it is being written as we speak...

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
I think that some people have no sense of perspective. My mate moved into a house and they had taken the light bulbs. A pack of 10 bulbs is about 20p at B&Q, a house is well, shed loads of money.

Switches and sockets are about 2 quid a pop IIRC but I think now in the UK you need a sparky to fit them (as we are all fuckwit numpties and not to be trusted with anything sharp like a pencil due to new labour's new education policy that leaves people dribbing into their cornflakes by age 12 but having at least got SAT-34/8/OW6/GRBNN/01754a which is what all employers need so I'm told...)

Maybe offer them 50 quid cash to leave them and save the hassle???

Chris

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
A rare non-diving rant from me, please excuse it in advance...

We are in the process of buying a new house. We got the fixtures and fittings form from the vendors yesterday.

They have indicated that when they move out, they wish to take the light switches and power sockets with them!

WTF!?!?!?

I sense trouble ahead... :angry:
Are they chavy brass effect ones? ;)

They should at least swap them for appropriate plain sockets and switches - and reduce the price accordingly :D

Adrian

·
10,679 Posts
Maybe offer them 50 quid cash to leave them and save the hassle???

Oh you fast post people.

I like Woz's idea better actually....

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
tom said:
Perhaps they are particularly special (gold plated with diamond switches).

Have to say, I'd be tempted to say...fine.....but they will have to pay for replacement switches and sockets and a full electrical test. That might be sufficient to shake them back to reality

I think now in the UK you need a sparky to fit them
Nope...at least not yet!

·
10,679 Posts
... tell them to stop being cnuts.
LOL

I guess that pattern of behaviour is pretty established by now - but its a nice thought...;)

Chris

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
IIFC they are quite entitled to take them but the must replace them, as it would obviously not be safe to have live wires sticking out of the wall. We did something similar when we moved, we took an expensive chrome towel rail that was a wedding present but we had to replace it, I just fitted a cheap B&Q one.

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
IIFC they are quite entitled to take them but the must replace them, as it would obviously not be safe to have live wires sticking out of the wall. We did something similar when we moved, we took an expensive chrome towel rail that was a wedding present but we had to replace it, I just fitted a cheap B&Q one.
Think thats fine... bit different to bloody plug sockets... so their new house is going to have exactly the same amount of sockets as the old one? I don't think so!

I took a couple of light fittings when I moved last time, but made sure the buyer was aware of this when I was selling; I also replaced them, but only with a cheap flex a bulb holder.

Pete

·
Registered
666 Posts
Had an offer on our house about three weeks ago, they wanted us to include carpets, all curtains, lights, bathroom cabinets and mirrors, kitchen stools, washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge freezer (oven and hob built in so they will stay anyway!)

They had only just put theirs on the market.
Guess what I told the Agent :teeth:

Came back yesterday, they're now under offer and offered same price with just the carpets. :teeth:

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Cheer up Tom, this will probably be the smallest of your gripes by the time the whole sorry process is over and done :)

Matt

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Cheer up Tom, this will probably be the smallest of your gripes by the time the whole sorry process is over and done :)

Matt

Wise words

Tell them you want them replaced with MK units and a certificate from a qualified electriction to state they have been properly fitted and tested.

ATB

Mark Chase

Reactions: 861-218 and tom

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
When I bought my current place it still had the carpets but the light fittings and things like that had gone. Just wires hanging from the ceilings.

However I bought from the Building Society who had foreclosed on the previous occupants so I suspect it was a last minute stomp round grabbing things before the locks were changed.

Somebody clearly fancied himself as an electrician and I still keep uncovering specimens of his handiework. There are times I'm surprised it didn't burn the place down over the first few years. He probably did me a favour by making me look at it all critically from day one.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Now, on the positive side, where are you moving to?

Countryside, Seaside, Exotic foreign lands..............

Juz

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just been talking to a surveyor about this (he was round doing the valuation of our current house for the buyers). he agreed it was highly unusual, and asked if the switches were gold plated!

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now, on the positive side, where are you moving to?

Countryside, Seaside, Exotic foreign lands..............
No, a nice bit of Redhill. Assuming all this works out ok. I *think* that's a positive compared to where we are at the moment! Half an hour closer to the coast anyway :D

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Probably dont understand the form. Some people describe the light as the bulb and shade.

Failing that ask them why they have not declared a pre-existing major defect namely they knew the electcial installation was unsafe.

Probabaly cost you £50-£70 to but some new plates and you dont need an eletrcian to fit them as your replacing like for like so its a repair.

If they understood the form properly then its the thin end of the wedge and you'll probably find no door handles, kitchen cupboards gone, glass taken from the windows etc etc

Just kidding or am I

1 - 20 of 41 Posts