YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a dive over the Easter weekend on UC-65, and am looking for that vital piece of info that all good dive plans have, depth. I've had estimates in the range of 40-50m, charts saying 35m and U-boat web sites with no idea. Has anyone been on it, their logbook/computer near-by, and an idea of the their favourite bits? Help would be much appreciated.

Also while I have you attention, the wreck/wrecks affectionately called 'The Twins', does anybody know their real names???

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Also while I have you attention, the wreck/wrecks affectionately called 'The Twins', does anybody know their real names???
Ville de Bordeaux and Irisbrook, I think (if it's the Eastbourne area ones).

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Thats the 2 names i have as well, but Dave (skipper of dive125) seems to recall the bell was lifted from one that says it could be the Ville de Dunkerque, if i recall.

Either way, 'the twins' are a nice dive...........I'm diving them on the 19th May. . . . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant, they are the Eastbourne area ones,

'The Twins' off Beachy Head where the Ville de Bordeaux and Irisbrook collided and sank in 1911 (35m to decks, 44m in the scour).

Easy when you know where to look,

Many thanks,

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Brilliant, they are the Eastbourne area ones,

'The Twins' off Beachy Head where the Ville de Bordeaux and Irisbrook collided and sank in 1911 (35m to decks, 44m in the scour).

Easy when you know where to look,

Many thanks,
Not sure if you've dived them before, but there used to be a blue rope that linked both ships. If you're quick, it is possible to have a scoot round both wrecks on 1 dive. if you find the debris field, there is lots of glassware, although most is broken. There is also a fair bit brass left, if you know where to look;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I haven't dived them before, but every one says that they are a nice wreck/s.
Tell you what, you can show me around on the 19th May, as I'm diving with Dave aswell!

Looking forward to it, and fingers crossed with the weather, as I'm getting bored of being blown out, and paranoid that I'll get a name of being jinx'd.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
No I haven't dived them before, but every one says that they are a nice wreck/s.
Tell you what, you can show me around on the 19th May, as I'm diving with Dave aswell!

Looking forward to it, and fingers crossed with the weather, as I'm getting bored of being blown out, and paranoid that I'll get a name of being jinx'd.
Cool, there will be myself plus half a dozen of my mates on it....Are you on twins or singles? I think it might be a 1 dive day due to tides etc, but hopefully the weather will be good to us....

Steve

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
They are a very good dive, me and the Dude dived them last year, there is a report on here somewhere :) Here We missed the Irisbrook though :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, there will be myself plus half a dozen of my mates on it....Are you on twins or singles? I think it might be a 1 dive day due to tides etc, but hopefully the weather will be good to us....

Steve
It will be myself and Anna, both on twins......Have lift, will use it!
How about you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are a very good dive, me and the Dude dived them last year, there is a report on here somewhere :) Here We missed the Irisbrook though :(
Cheers Paul, nice bit of info.
Would you say its worth staying on the one wreck (plenty to see) and coming back to do the other another time, or get both in one (if you can find the other)?

I'm doing the 2 liner special Alaunia and Oceana in July.

Actually, I may aswell just leave my stuff on Dave's boat this season.....

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I'm planning a dive over the Easter weekend on UC-65,
Monday the 9th?
With Innes McC off Dive125?
I have 45-50m from one source and 44m+tide from another.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Cheers Paul, nice bit of info.
Would you say its worth staying on the one wreck (plenty to see) and coming back to do the other another time, or get both in one (if you can find the other)?

I'm doing the 2 liner special Alaunia and Oceana in July.

Actually, I may as well just leave my stuff on Dave's boat this season.....
Steve dropped us on the Ville with the plan to swim over to the Irisbrook towards the end of the dive, you swim straight off the bow and soon have the steel sides of the Irisbrook in front of you, so its a bit shallower and you can work your way up and along it, unless like me and the Dude you miss hear the directions :(

Spidge is in the stern hold of the Ville, no need to go below 38 ish unless you want to see the large and impressive prop.

Alaunia and Oceana are great dives as well :)

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Uc 65

Here's what I have:
It will depend on the tide size, because the wreck sits on a seabed of sand, in general depth of 35m (115ft), being the lowest astronomical depth. It is now broken into two separate sections that lie about 20m apart. It is possible to view the empty mine chutes, where a few soft corals are established on the casing of the bow; it is also possible to look inside both the broken ends. The break in the boat, probably where the torpedo detonated, just beyond the engine room bulkhead, within the stern and her two diesel engines are visible. There are no reports of the two bronze screws, or periscope still being in place but the 88mm deck gun and a few of its shells are, or was apparently, still there.

If you dive the wreck, please let me know if these details are correct ;)

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Monday the 9th?
With Innes McC off Dive125?
I have 45-50m from one source and 44m+tide from another.
That's the one.
Although it's really the second dive that I'm most excited about.
Ron's figure of 35m seems to match the charts I was looking at wrecksite wreck database

Looks like either two plans or deco on the fly.

See you Mon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will depend on the tide size, because the wreck sits on a seabed of sand, in general depth of 35m (115ft), being the lowest astronomical depth.
Thanks Ron, great wreck tour!
I'll be sure to let you know what I find next week. May even get a few snaps while I'm down there, if any one is interested.

What's the score with posting links to other sites (i.e personal photo album sites) in this forum?

Cheers,

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
"I'll be sure to let you know what I find next week. May even get a few snaps while I'm down there, if any one is interested."

Yes, I would love a couple of snaps of the wreck;) The submarine is in Vol-2 of our next book Silent Warriors.

Cheers Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts