YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Having watched a bit of the darts over the past few days got me thinking. Why are dartboards numbered the way they are and not just 1-20 clockwise?

Diddly-squat to do with diving but I'm hoping the answer is lodged away in the "useless information" part of your brain.
Peter

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

I think its to do with penalising poor shots. Low scores next to high scores.

A20-1 triples dartboard is not the only type, there is a 5-10-15 and the can have varying sizes of double and triple, be at different height with different distances to the oche. Sounds anorackish I know, but it was on the idiot box yesterday - and I an idiot

Adrian

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Don't think so Matt. There's got to be some sort of system to it.

Peter

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>The design was patented by an English guy in 1906 and everybody has stuck to it since.

The length of the oche was the length of three barrels ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Imported post

Et volia!

"The numbering of a standard dartboard is designed in such a way as to cut down the incidence of ‘lucky shots’ and reduce the element of chance.  The numbers are placed in such a way as to encourage accuracy.  That’s it.  Pure and simple.  The placing of small numbers either side of large numbers e.g. 1 and 5 either side of 20, 3 and 2 either side of 17, 4 and 1 either side of 18, punishes inaccuracy.  Thus, if you shoot for the 20 segment, the penalty for lack of accuracy or concentration is to land in either a 1 or a 5"
http://www.100megsfree.com/thedart....boa.htm

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>It is supposed to penalise poor shots by the darts falling into lower scoring segments if the 'fat beer drinking smoking dart thrower' (FBDSDT) misses the high scoring segment. Thats why the scores 5 and 1 are on the left and right, respectively, of 20. If the scoring segments were in numerical order it would be much easier as you'd throw towards the middle of the high scoring area i.e 15 - 20. We were taught to throw at 17 and 19 when we were young as its at the bottom of the board and easier for the vertically challenged and younger players. (I'm a born Yorkshire man as you may have guessed and in 1974 the local government replaced Reading, Writing and arithmatic with Darts, Coal Mining and wippet fancying. Oh and When Maggie Thatcher stopped the Milk that nice Mr Tetley (beer not tea) stepped in with 'hic' sponsorship Burrp!!

Dave (Born with three darts in the mouth) C, (but only as my dad played in the local WMC team and was practicing at my birth.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>aye dave but if you were a true yorkshire man like me you would play on a yorkshire doubles board

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daveking @ Jan. 07 2004,17:54)]aye dave but if you were a true yorkshire man like me you would play on a yorkshire doubles board
<font color='#000080'>Do you mean one of those 'Quadro' Boards that surfaced a few years ago ?

Same as a conventional dart board, but with an additional ring between the trebble and the bulls eye ? Worth x4

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Log-end?
Half the size, tiny doubles, no trebles, all black .......a nightmare to throw at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts