YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a misleading title I feel but I was driving back from Bridlington today thinking to myself I will have to load up the car in preperation for going to the Farnes this weekend on Thursday night/Friday morning before work. Anyway this got me to wondering what everyone else does for a means of transport to get too and from dive locations.
Im fortunate in that I have the use of a Vauxhall Vectra to lug myself, my buddy and all our kit for a weekend away whenever I need be. But even then the boot is full, the back seat is hard to spot, and extra cylinders reside in the rear footwells, I cant help feel that I wish it was something bigger and preferably a diesel!
I just wondered what everyone else did and if diving was a consideration when you bought your present vechicles? I know I rebuilt a Series III Land Rover with the intention of using it for a dive wagon, only I still havent got around to taking it with me for fear of the petrol bill (diesel conversion to happen very soon!) amongst a few other things

·
Go Big or Go Home
1,865 Posts
i use my van a renault traffic as i am a constuction technician or weapon of mass construction (bricky) so the use of a van was a bonus ann not the motive for purchase.Very useful though and occasioally i have overnighted in it.

·
Wannabe Lotto Jackpot Winner..!
941 Posts
I drive a Laguna 1.9Dci hatchback, which gives me between 47 & 52mpg and thats usually carrying twin 12's 2x single 15's, 3ltr pony, 02 kit and the usual kit for two divers. Mind you the back seats are down and 15's sit in the rear foot wells...

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Transit 350 2.5 Turbo-diesel semi-hi top - MWB.
Takes 12 sets of kit and 24 cylinders + stages easy.

The DO has same, but converted to crewcab.
I'm waiting for my triple seat conversion now :)

So that will be 2 wagons to carry 6 divers each and all kit. :cool:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
i drive a vauxall corsa and mannage to get twin 12,s a 7 litre stage and regs and suits and all other kinds of goodies too!!

although it does take carefull packing lol!!! :teeth:

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Honda Accord, big boot. My previous car was a 5 door civic when they brought out the new model I took my gear gulpher to the showroom to see if it fitted in the boot - it didn't :D Hence the Accord which was fine with the twin 7's - but rubbish with the twin 12's :(

Next car will be an estate or 4 x 4.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
4x4.

silver.

can get a vauxhall corsa in the boot.

rest is full with make-up and frilly nickers.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
A hairdresser-stylee Suzuki Vitara (old one - tin can on wheels but it can take a bashing). Can accommodate two twinsets and two sets of kit. Perfect height for donning and doffing your rig. You'll look like a poof but hey, who cares :D

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
When I went looking for my last car purchase I knew I wanted a hatchback car, diesel, comfortable and with a BIG boot. I got an old style Mazda 6.

I am currently trying to see if I can justify another van 'for the company', a short wheel based high top transit (or similar) with a tow bar. It can carry loads of kit, keep you dry when you are changing in the rain, can fit a kitting up bench in it and it will tow the club RIB. If necessary, I can sleep in the back too if needs be.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Subaru legacy 3.0 estate.

Reasonably respectable for client visits, very comfortable for motorway cruising.

On the diving side, Loads of boot space, even with the seats up. Permanent 4 wheel drive for hammering around country lanes and steep hills.

Plus it is a great drive and pretty damn quick.

On the downside, crap fuel economy. 22mpg average, 28mpg on a run.

Still it is a great drive so I can live with the economy (or lack of!).

Daz

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I know I rebuilt a Series III Land Rover with the intention of using it for a dive wagon, only I still havent got around to taking it with me for fear of the petrol bill.
Two J's of gas.
Rebreather.
Stages.
Twinset harness and stuff.
Haskel pump.
A week's clothes.
All my buddys kit.

Oh. And the boat.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Astra 1.6 LPG dual fuel. Spare wheel gets in the way, otherwise slot that behind pasenger seat in foot well, and the rest goes in easy! Get to Farnes and back for under £30 and that's driving not at its most economical. Stoney and back for under a fiver and I'm not complaining :)

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Ive a golf that can fit 3 lots of kit in with 2/3 of the back seats down and carefull packing, Always seems harder to repack to come home though.

But im thinking of a vw campervan plenty space inside, bed, cooker and fridge.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
When I went looking for my last car purchase I knew I wanted a hatchback car, diesel, comfortable and with a BIG boot. I got an old style Mazda 6.

I am currently trying to see if I can justify another van 'for the company', a short wheel based high top transit (or similar) with a tow bar. It can carry loads of kit, keep you dry when you are changing in the rain, can fit a kitting up bench in it and it will tow the club RIB. If necessary, I can sleep in the back too if needs be.
Be careful.

New SWB transits are frontwheel drive and almost all are 800kg, which
is nothing in kit terms.

Older smiley front Transits are much better and designated by weight,
so 80 = 800kg, 100 = 1000kg and the one I had which was amazing and
rare the 150 = 1500kg.

Unless you have a decent weight capacity, then towing a RIB will kill it.

I'd go for the MWB 350 (I would cause I've got one) . It's got loads of
torque and flies with the turbo. Carrys 1500 kg and will tow easy.

Total length is only 700mm odd more than the single, but that's a big
difference when carrying stuff.

Running cost is the same whether it's Short or Meduim, so always go
bigger.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Be careful.

New SWB transits are frontwheel drive and almost all are 800kg, which
is nothing in kit terms.

Older smiley front Transits are much better and designated by weight,
so 80 = 800kg, 100 = 1000kg and the one I had which was amazing and
rare the 150 = 1500kg.

Unless you have a decent weight capacity, then towing a RIB will kill it.

I'd go for the MWB 350 (I would cause I've got one) . It's got loads of
torque and flies with the turbo. Carrys 1500 kg and will tow easy.

Total length is only 700mm odd more than the single, but that's a big
difference when carrying stuff.

Running cost is the same whether it's Short or Meduim, so always go
bigger.
Thanks Terry, duly noted.

800Kg is useless for work, never mind kit which is less. 1500kg is more what I am looking for. I didn't want to go for a long wheelbase as it is bigger to find a parking space and maneuver in some of the tight places we sometime go when diving. LWB is fine for work, but that's only a 2nd priority :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts