YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

so, seeing as quite a few people on here dive independent twins, i'm hoping for a bit of advice....

what do you do with the DV you're not breathing from, assuming it has to be accessible (for you and others) and re-stowable? any hints welcome.

i was thinking of getting hold of some bungee and cable ties, and making a necklace from which i could suspend both DVs in loops.

obviously the disadvantage of this is that if someone grabs one it would pull on the one in my mouth. also maybe the weight of the one i wasn't using would drag at the one i was using. i was thinking of getting round this by separating the two DVs by a long section of bungee, so the tension would be on the back of my neck (when hanging or being grabbed) rather than the other valve. maybe i could even attach to the back of my hood somehow? i'd make the loops fairly loose so they could slip out and be re-stowed easily.

any comments? bad idea/good idea?

cheers, k

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Kate
I might be going this route too, so I'm interested. I thought I would have one on a necklace that could be pulled away from me (like a figure 8, one bit around my neck the other the dv mouthpiece goes through). The other one would be lose on a long hose and I would need to clip it off when not in use.
Comments pls.
Matt

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

My TDI instructor usees independants, he has a thingy that goes arround his neck and both DVs clip to it, on a long enough strap so that he doesn't need to unclip each time he swaps regs.
He uses jetstreams so one from left one from right.
The downside is that to donate a DV he has to unclip it.

This, as l see it, is the main disdvantage to indies, in an aas a buddy doesn't know which reg to go for, the one in the mouth or arround the neck.
Then if you have them clipped off you need to unclip to donate, if you have then on a release system they could possibly come away and then not be in the correct place when the shite hits the fan.
l know from experience about the later.

This is the reason l changed from indies to manifolded.

However if my daughter wanted to dive with say twin 10s l would want her to dive indies with fixed DVs i.e. need to unclip to donate.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (diving dude @ Dec. 03 2003,14:00)]My TDI instructor usees independants, he has a thingy that goes arround his neck and both DVs clip to it, on a long enough strap so that he doesn't need to unclip each time he swaps regs.
He uses jetstreams so one from left one from right.
The downside is that to donate a DV he has to unclip it.
oh yes, forgot to mention - i will be having one reg coming over each shoulder, so they wouldn't get tangled up if i had them both on one necklace

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

According to Kevin Gurr suicide clips are ok when you can reach them easily.
He advocates using one as the top clip on a side slung stage.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

When I did a (highly unscientific) questionnaire about suicide clips earning their names, some of the examples given made it clear that they are NEVER okay - somebody with such a clip on their chest D-ring fell over in shallow water and it clipped itself onto something, and he was unable to unclip it.

If he hadn't had his DV in, he'd have drowned in about 2ft of water before his buddy managed to get him free (by de-kitting him and THEN unclipping the thing).

I would urge anybody who has such a clip to replace it ASAP - if you MUST have a snap-on type clip, at least get one that can be locked shut.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

If I am flying independants it usuly meens I am overseas somewhere. This will also usualy meen I am not using stages.

As a result I hog loop the long hose and I use a double plastic C clip on my left nipple D ring for holding the reg not in use. Its a double incase I break it during the dive

Air sharing is going to be a donated long hose in the end but they can grap any reg they like to start with

ATB

Mark Chase

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Dec. 03 2003,14:14)]Argh - suicide clips!!
i was thinking of cobbling together something similar but with loops instead of clips. i think i'd prefer to have them quick-release rather than having to unclip them.

mary - al's shrek ears?!

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Dec. 03 2003,13:25)]so, seeing as quite a few people on here dive independent twins, i'm hoping for a bit of advice....

what do you do with the DV you're not breathing from, assuming it has to be accessible (for you and others) and re-stowable? any hints welcome.

i was thinking of getting hold of some bungee and cable ties, and making a necklace from which i could suspend both DVs in loops.
<font color='#8D38C9'>I have a necklace of bungy tied with a double fisherman's knot.  Two overhand knots either side of this are used to form loops and the fisherman's knot sits under the chin to keep them apart (alternatively thread the bungy thruogh some hosepipe).  A thin cable tie around the LP hose where it goes into the second stage is used to fasten a cheapo plastic clip (the sort you find on the bags you get at conferences/meetings etc.) which snaps onto the loop.  Some people use fastex quick release buckles instead of loops and clips (see Farr: Diving in Darkness).  If you really pull on the second stage the cable tie will break.  You should be able to breathe from either reg will its still on the necklace.  If you are diving will somone else on independents then they shouldn't need your unused reg anyway, though you can unclip it and donate it.  I also have necklaces for single regs - just a loop of bungy to which the second stage clips on.  Some people are guillible enough to pay for ready made necklaces - I saw some on sale at the Dive Show for a fiver for less than a metre of shock cord.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Two overhand knots either side of this are used to form loops and the fisherman's knot sits under the chin to keep them apart
alright - fisherman's knot? remember you're talking to a girl here

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]alternatively thread the bungy thruogh some hosepipe
ok, i understand hosepipe  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you are diving will somone else on independents then they shouldn't need your unused reg anyway, though you can unclip it and donate it
the thing is i'm not likely to be diving with someone on independents - most of my club dive with a single or single and pony so they're used to octopuses. that's why i need a reg on my front somewhere that's grabbable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Some people are guillible enough to pay for ready made necklaces - I saw some on sale at the Dive Show for a fiver for less than a metre of shock cord.
that's why i'm going to make my own  
 there's a chandler's near my parents house - i'll pop down there when i'm home for christmas and hopefully get all the bits and bobs i need.

thanks for all the info - it's good to know i wasn't working with an inherently flawed idea  

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

OK, I'm going to admit my ignorance here....

I keep hearing the phrase, so, what is a suicide clip exactly, and exactly what is it that makes it so??

Idiot level explanation someone please.....  

Dave.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Dec. 03 2003,15:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Two overhand knots either side of this are used to form loops and the fisherman's knot sits under the chin to keep them apart
<font color='#000F22'>I believe this (although I'm not sure about the fisherman's knot thingy) is what Al has, on the odds of all and duncan I'm guessing this may be the cave version  
 but I guess just as good for everyone.

on the shrek ears - I guess you weren't there thought you were...

queue hysterical laughter (not sure why) but when one of these is on your head (and you've not had too much sleep) it looks like shrek's ears  

I'll just go back and hide under a rock now shall I  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Dave
have a look at the picture on the web site listed above, its the last one on the page. They are the clips at the end of the cord thingy, basically they are spring loaded levers that can be easily depressed allowing netting or similar into the loop of metal that the lever rests againsts, the lever then springs back and voila you're clipped in against something you would rather not be. Alternatives are the piston type clips which are not as easily opened and therefore safer.

DIR people will go mad and start frothing at the mouth if they see you with them, rightly so IMHO.

Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Suicide clip:

A clip that can attach itself to something without any intervention on the part of the diver. Widely considered a bad idea because of their potential for entrapment. I was cynical about the supposed danger until I asked around for first-hand experiences, and received several that had been very close to fatal incidents.

If you absolutely must have one, then get a locking variety so that it can't inadvertently clip onto anything:

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

Matt, Dom,

Cheers for enlightening me.

And lo, I have one on my kit!!  

But luckily it's just on my DM slates, so it's only ever with me in the (smooth sided) pool. Might still get a piston type instead though, he thinks, recalling horror stories of people with fingers trapped in pool grilles etc...

Dave.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Dec. 03 2003,15:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Dec. 03 2003,15:26)]
[b said:
Double Fishermans Knot

This is usually used in climbing for making rope loops etc.
If you don't pull the two knots together, you can use it to hold the DV.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts