YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I finally got to use my spool.....and I hated it! I performed two ascents. One from 27m and one from 12m. The first from 27m was the better of the two but both were a proper PITA as winding it in takes forever and means that you spend a lot of time concentrating on the line and not your ascent!

I appreciate that in time I'd get used to this and more practiced but I feel that anything that requires lots of practice to get used to is potentially dangerous. So....I'm resigned to going back to a reel and I suspect it will be a KT reel from all the good reports I have heard about them.

The only problem I need to resolve is where and how to store it. I've seen a few with theirs on their backplates but I don't know if this is the best location.

I have a 6mm AGIR backplate so clipping ANYTHING to it can be a task in itself. I store the DSMB in a Halcyon Storage Pak.....very handy although digs in my back if I don't fold it correctly and can be a PITA to retrieve if I don't store it properly.

I don't want something that will keep bashing into my ar$e when I finning around or clanging on my cylinders and to be honest would much rather have it on my front but not where the other gear is (Chest D-Rings or Waist D-Ring). I'm thinking that the crotch D-Ring might be best as I don't use and don't intend to use a scooter!

Any suggestions?

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
dont, get rid of your spol, I first got one as my reel exploded and i cuouldnt afford to replace it, i have done maybe 3-4 dives with is and it is acctualy ok once you get used to it, all dive kit requires practice to get used to, deffinatly get a main reel but I would certainly say keep the reel bungied to your backup smb just in case.

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
I have a reel attached to my butt D ring and don't even feel it there or hear it banging into anything. However, it's only there for line laying or if the skipper insists we bag up from below 21M.

A reel and SMB can hurt you just as simply as a spool and SMB. Both are IMHO about the most dangerous bits of kit in diving and their deployment should be practiced at every opportunity. Don't be fooled into thinking reels don't require practice and are therefore in some way "safer".

With a spool, at least from the DIR perspective, we are only winding in at 3M per minute from 21M anyway, which is a doddle with a spool once you are shown a technique for doing so. We don't ascend any faster than this from 21 anyway. If you personally ascend much faster than this then I could see why a spool would be a pain in the neck to wind in.

Personally, I wouldn't bin the spool after two ascents. Practice it for 20 ascents, and then you can make a more realistic decision. I would recommend this sort of perseverance with any kit change before making a decision.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
This weekend I finally got to use my spool.....and I hated it! I performed two ascents. One from 27m and one from 12m. The first from 27m was the better of the two but both were a proper PITA as winding it in takes forever and means that you spend a lot of time concentrating on the line and not your ascent!

snip

Any suggestions?

But that "taking ages" keeps a nice slow controlled ascent rate.

I'd persevere with the spool for a little longer. I was once advised to spend 20 dives diving a new configuration and then make a decision on whether you like the change. The initial "difficulties" of a change in config are more about the fact there has been a change than the change itself.

It's been good advice for me.

HTH
Mal

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I echo the others - Don't get rid of the spool. Practice with it.. After 2 attempts you can't really draw the conclusion that they are too difficult.

Get into the water and get someone who uses these all the time to show you. They really are the simplest piece of kit and very easy to use - once you have the knack..

Don't give up! :)

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a reel attached to my butt D ring and don't even feel it there or hear it banging into anything. However, it's only there for line laying or if the skipper insists we bag up from below 21M.

A reel and SMB can hurt you just as simply as a spool and SMB. Both are IMHO about the most dangerous bits of kit in diving and their deployment should be practiced at every opportunity. Personally, I wouldn't bin the spool after two ascents. Practice it for 20 ascents, and then you can make a more realistic decision. Don't be fooled into thinking reels don't require practice and are therefore in some way "safer".
I appreciate what you're saying but when I first started using a reel it came naturally, it wasn't something I had to practice in order to execute safely. Yes I've had a reel jam on me and so it's a case of let it go.

What annoyed me about the spool was mostly that when "reeling in" my ascent was slightly faster than my ability to "reel in". A couple of times the double ender came off the line. A couple of times the line looped around the double ender and on the second dive I ended up with 20 ft surplus line because I couldn't reel it in fast enough.

I'm not saying that the spool won't become easier with practice I just think that a reel will always be the easier of the two to use. The spool will probably remain in my kit as a back up but that's all.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm recent to using my spool and DSMB and i really like it, i find deployment nice and easy and the whole thing couldn't be any simpler to me, obviously this is personal preference.

Are you winding in, using your blotsnap on the line as a handle?

Dan

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theres some amusing quoting to be had in your post!
Oi Big Nose....shut up....I'm trying to listen to the speakers......I think the Greeks should inherit the earth and it's great that they are blessing the cheesemakers.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Wooden reels. That's the way to go. Never mind all this stainless crap. A diver on our Scapa trip had:

Drysuit
Computer
Mask
Fins
Buddy stab (disconnected and leaking anyway)
Hood (no gloves)
Single 12
Homemade wooden reel
Torch
Blob

That's the way to dive properly. None of that dangly twinset spool long hose crap. Pare it down to bugger all.

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
I'm not saying that the spool won't become easier with practice I just think that a reel will always be the easier of the two to use. The spool will probably remain in my kit as a back up but that's all.
Interesting.

So if your primary bit of kit fails, and all has gone to ratshit, and you are stressed and needing everything to work, you will pull out the spool and rely on an unfamiliar bit of kit you know you are uncomfortable with and think is dangerous.

what could possibly go wrong :D

whatever you have as a backup, be it your reg or smb, or whatever, needs to be the bit of kit you are MOST happy with, becuase if you are using it, you already have enough on your mind.

Just a thought :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
What annoyed me about the spool was mostly that when "reeling in" my ascent was slightly faster than my ability to "reel in". A couple of times the double ender came off the line. A couple of times the line looped around the double ender and on the second dive I ended up with 20 ft surplus line because I couldn't reel it in fast enough.
Why not slow your ascent then?, Surely thats no bad thing.

Dan

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Wooden reels. That's the way to go. Never mind all this stainless crap. A diver on our Scapa trip had:

Drysuit
Computer
Mask
Fins
Buddy stab (disconnected and leaking anyway)
Hood (no gloves)
Single 12
Homemade wooden reel
Torch
Blob

That's the way to dive properly. None of that dangly twinset spool long hose crap. Pare it down to bugger all.
Bloody hell, I didn't know our DO was with you!

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Oi Big Nose....shut up....I'm trying to listen to the speakers......I think the Greeks should inherit the earth and it's great that they are blessing the cheesemakers.
i'll refrain from going all Monty Python on you and leave you to air your pi$$ poor diving skills to any who'll listen,:D

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting.

So when your primary bit of kit fails, and all has gone to ratshit, and you are stressed and needing everything to make life simple, you will pull out the spool and rely on an unfamiliar bit of kit you already know you are uncomfortable with.

what could possibly go wrong :D
When the primary fails, I have a secondary (Buddy pocket reel :embarassed: ), if that fails the spool........it that fails....ditch the spool and ascend freely :p

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
When the primary fails, I have a secondary (Buddy pocket reel :embarassed: ), if that fails the spool........it that fails....ditch the spool and ascend freely :p
hehe, I'll bite. So now you're saying you'll have TWO goes with a reel before relying on the spool. Sometimes, ascending freely is NOT an option, unless you want to swim back to land :D

I'm only messing with you, but I think I have a valid point, don't bother taking the spool with you as any bit of kit is far less dangerous in the car than it is in your pocket if you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with it.

If you want to persevere with the spool I'd be happy to meet up for a weekend somewhere and go through it again and again until you are happy. If you want to go for a reel and are happy with the pocket reel p why not get another one, you already know you like it and it works, why not keep your backup exactly the same so that if there is a problem, you don't have to think of a second way or deploying it. Plus, they are small enough to stow away without dangling everywhere.

Hope that helps.

G

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why not slow your ascent then?, Surely thats no bad thing.

Dan
Not saying a slow ascent rate is a bad thing...although too slow an ascent rate could be (on gassing). Going full speed I doubt I could reel in any faster than 1.5m/minute with the spool at the moment though and I prefer my ascent rate to be about 2-4m/minute.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I appreciate what you're saying but when I first started using a reel it came naturally, it wasn't something I had to practice in order to execute safely. Yes I've had a reel jam on me and so it's a case of let it go.

Wth practice your ascent rate will slow down.. you really don't need to be racing to the surface. Using the spool and keeping the line reasonably tight is a good indication of how fast you are rising anyway.. if you can ascend with the line neither going excessively slack - a la your 20ft surplus - or you having to drag yourself up using the spool - then you are pretty much spot on. Like I said - its not a race to the surface anyway.. We typically send the DSMB up from around the 21m mark - but not always.

As far as your ascent rate - get into the water with someone who uses a spool for all of their ascents and match them for ascent rate - just hovering next to them in free water as they ascend - using them as a reference. That will give you a good idea.

You should be as proficient with your backup gear as with your primary gear - as when the primary fails - you are relying on your backup to help get you out of the poo.. When doing this you are already task loaded - why increase this task loading? I would either get proficient with the spool - as a backup if you must - or ditch them all together and get a reel for your backup.

Sorry if I am preaching to the already converted here.. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts