YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a card carrying "warm water wimp" who's about to break his UK diving duck I've just invested in my own cylinders.

Diving abroad I'm happy if I get 200bar in a cylinder, when I checked my new ones they're filled to the max 230bar!! Nice, thanks Dave! :D

What do you usually expect to get in a fill??

Wraysbury is probably my nearest "muddy puddle", any comments on the place?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If I am paying I would expect to get a 230 bar fill (or as near to). I would be pretty upset if I got 190/200 bar fills.
That said, I don't pay for fills to often as I have access to a branch compressor so I always get 230 bar (min).

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Depends where you get them filled. I've seen Capernwray on a busy day, the cylinders come away hot to the touch, so by the time they've cooled down they're close on 190b, however, they did say they would top up after it had cooled down. Our club compressors generally give 230bar.
MM

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Wraysburry, nice little place if you dont expect too much. The locals wont let the owner expand the facilities so the loos are portacabin types and pretty grim accordingly. Max depth is about 6/8m depending on where you are or who you believe. Air is available, Nitrox was , not sure if it still is. Kit hire is possible, they have a small shop and a food/drinks window. I like the place, its informal and cosy. Much less crowded than say Stoney, limited rescue facilities but as there is usually a gaggle of divers that are at least RD it isnt too much of an issue. Car parking is by the lake side. bottom composition is silt, lots of it. Easy to get zero viz and the bottom undulates so its easy to hit the undulations head first :)
Ther are 'things' in the lake, some of them reputedly alive!!!
I have seen a pike (once) and loads of little bug things creeping across the bed. There are platforms so you can practice stuff without being in the silt.

Good place though despite its short comings.

Matt

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Wraysbury, pretty much as Matt said, but they have started work on the new loos, the foundations and drains are in, and they were building the floor at the weekend. The area in front of the lake is all grass, so you could take the whole family down and they can lay in the sun and have a picnic while you dive.

·
9,135 Posts
Wraysbury, pretty much as Matt said, but they have started work on the new loos, the foundations and drains are in, and they were building the floor at the weekend. The area in front of the lake is all grass, so you could take the whole family down and they can lay in the sun and have a picnic while you dive.
Has he (Richard?) shot a few locals :)
Excellent news, I'm glad for them because they are generally a nice outfit, its good to have somewhere local to test kit other than a swimming pool. Shame its not salt though ;) and I thought if they got much more stick off the neighbours they might close down. How they can complain about our being noisy when they have planes taking off/landing every 2 minutes is beyond me. Couple of half decent pubs nearby as well I believe. There is also a small second hand car dealer nearby, just by the roundabout and MOT station, got two Fiestas for my son from them, nice little runners.

Matt

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Anything from 210 to 230 is normal.
And acceptable, on the basis that your regs may not be completely accurate. I know mine read as 10 bar less than my buddies. Also, what may be a 230 bar fill in the shop will be less once it has spent the night in a cold boot!

I have never complained about the amount of a fill. 10 bar here & there shouldn't be that critical, and does another couple of minutes underwater make a difference worth getting cross over?

When paying for it, it isn't so much the amount of air you are paying for, it is the process, which is why a top up costs the same as a whole fill.

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Has he (Richard?) shot a few locals :)
Excellent news, I'm glad for them because they are generally a nice outfit, its good to have somewhere local to test kit other than a swimming pool. Shame its not salt though ;) and I thought if they got much more stick off the neighbours they might close down. How they can complain about our being noisy when they have planes taking off/landing every 2 minutes is beyond me. Couple of half decent pubs nearby as well I believe. There is also a small second hand car dealer nearby, just by the roundabout and MOT station, got two Fiestas for my son from them, nice little runners.

Matt
I think it is mainly one particularly grumpy parish councillor that lives nearby, that was causing some of the grief. Obviously the planing dept ignored them.

·
Gufftastic!
184 Posts
Air is available, Nitrox was , not sure if it still is.
Nitrox is still available :thumbsup:

"The" pike lives in the bus and in summer some nice specimens of perch are to be found.

On a busy day expect fills to around 210 possibly 200 when cool. TBH a few bar here and there doesn't make any difference with a max depth of 8-9m. If you want a top up i'm pretty sure you'll go to the back of the queue.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
210-220 i normally get. I get the full 230 if left overnight in a shop often.

Abroad they tend to be filled fast and hot plus a lot of them use older tanks with lower working pressure.

Where i worked last year we had a mix of 210 and 230 bar tanks. Therefore compressor was set for 210 to stop charging the wrong tank with a high pressure. This is common in places too.

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
230 to 240, I tend (if time allows) to leave my cylinders with the shop, as that way you get a better fill than if you hang about waiting for them. Of course that backfired once when the shop owner had a call and had to leave early, leaving my cylinders locked away until i could go back the following week!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks

Lots of good information, thank you all.

I guess the Med / Red diveshops also underfill cylinders to minimise fatigue and make them last a bit longer.

Wraysbury sounds like a good starter to try cooler water before I go into the English Channel later in the year. I'll give it a go in a couple of weeks time.

·
9,135 Posts
You may find inland sites a little cooler than the Channel at this time of year, so it will be a good starting point. Additionally if you want more depth before venturing into the sea any of the other inland sites will suit you fine.

Are you going in with a club or a buddy?

Matt

·
Registered
193 Posts
did a dosthill dive weekend gone and my fill was a 190bar pretty miffed and they wasnt that busy either skanking gits:angry: couldnt comfortably get my hour in because of it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You may find inland sites a little cooler than the Channel at this time of year, so it will be a good starting point. Additionally if you want more depth before venturing into the sea any of the other inland sites will suit you fine.

Are you going in with a club or a buddy?

Matt
I'm meeting some people from my LDS who are doing a course there but I'll definately be looking to recruit a buddy for further escapades :D

Derek

1 - 20 of 50 Posts