YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

How long have you been diving for? - How long have you been diving for?

• 0 - 5 yrs?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 - 10 yrs?

• 20 - 40 yrs?

• 40+ yrs?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>How long have you been diving for?
I have been diving almost a year now!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Coming up for 14 years.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

15 1/2, on, never off  

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Since 1996,started off slowly and the addiction started around 2000. Now it is uncontrolable, If I don't dive regulary I get DWS -Diving withdraw symptoms.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Since the end of March. I am now getting DWS whilst waiting for my drysuit to be made (even considering going in the pool!!!!).

Simon A

·
Founder Member of the 'Viet Taff'
1,523 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Since 1982 which makes 21 years, some years have been more active than others. 1 complete OOA in 1983, a bend in 2003 and lots of good stuff in between and since !

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>almost 4 years, qualified on the Millennium New Years Eve in Devon.

Averaging 100 dives pa currently, although that will drop next year as my diving has changed, fewer dives, but with more hang times.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

bout four years.

here's a question - when you started diving, did you see it turning into the sort of obsession that most of us here seem to suffer from/enjoy*?

*delete as appropriate

for example - i joined my uni dive club after a try dive on holiday, but to be honest i wasn't really getting into it.... too much other stuff happening at the same time really. didn't look like i'd ever make the effort to get in the water, and i probably would have quietly dropped it

until....

i was lured to the AGM with the promise of free cocktail (and nasty stuff it was too). i got hideously drunk, and fell victim to a plan amongst the male members of the club to vote the girls wearing the skimpiest clothing onto next year's committee.

so i woke up the next morning with a terribly hangover, and a vague memory that i had been voted in as president of the dive club....

and never looked back from there! i really got into it, started going on trips, made a load of friends, and basically my life would be very different now if i hadn't gone along that night - and i was very close to not going.

funny how things work out hey?!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

3 yrs (just) first year on holiday in August 2001 4 ow dives,
loads of pool dives until Easter 2002 - 6 dives in Lanzarote.
August 2002 - 8 dives in France, then I bought a dry-suit, it just went silly after that couldnt (cant) get away as often as I'd like (which would be every week!) not enough money or time  
. Now if I win this weekends lottery it will be a different story. But I'm happy to dive in the UK until then.

Fingers crossed.

Matt

·
Prime mate
264 Posts
Imported post

I've only been at it for 2 years but I knew it would be an obsession because I'd wanted to do it for as long as I can remember.  I guess some of us just feel an urge to be in the water.  Not to mention the naturalist pleasure of viewing all the living things down there - fantastic.
Trouble is, it spills over into all the kit as well - I even find myself taking my gear apart and lovingly cleaning it!  Geek alert!

r

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, I started in 1996, about as young as they'd let me. Parents didn't want to pay for the course, but when I explained the 8 til 6 schedule during the summer holidays for some reason I was booked up very hastily!

It was a great experience for a 14 year-old, and I'm very grateful to my parents, without whom none of this would have been possible. I'd like to thank the kids, for believing in me....

Anyway, I would like to offer a reminder. Just because I'm young, doesn't mean I'm stupid. The fact that I am has nothing to do with my age.

I always get the "so what do you do?" question off the novices, most of whom are very surprised when I tell them I'm a 3rd year undergrad (because I look like I'm 30 apparently). They sometimes don't believe me, but when they do, the next question is always "How long have you been diving?". The answer usually reassures them. I usually then go on to explain why diving for 7 years counts for diddly squat, and how experience is really evaluated, but they have faith that I've been doing this a while, and that keeps them reassured.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Dec. 17 2003,13:06)]and that keeps them reassured.
And then, having lulled them into a false sense of security, you attempt to shag them.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I did my first ever dive in St Lucia 15 years ago last Aug.

Didnt start diving in the UK untill 2000.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>6yrs in 3 weeks time. wanted to take it up earlier but was waiting for a mate to join too. he never, so i ended up starting  a year later.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts