• more than 2000

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I thought it might be quite interesting to know what different experience levels people are at on this site (OK, so I am slightly dull and am clearly having a bit of a 'slow' day at work, but bear with me...).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ July 28 2003,10:21)]2000 plus for me ,,,,,, ( commercial diver )
That's what I really like about this site, there's such a variety of different types of diver - from our 1000th member who's a 12 year old girl who's about to do her AOW to people like yourself who are clearly the "serious" element of diving!

Personally, I only started diving last October and, have like most people, become addicted and now have my salary diverted straight into my local dive store...  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Been diving for six years, coming up to the 300 mark fairly soon, 90% of which are UK dives. In terms of dives per year it ain't world-shattering but you know how it gets with work committments.  

gotta admire those keen divers who have families, I don't know how you find the time
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ July 28 2003,10:47)]Been diving for six years, coming up to the 300 mark fairly soon, 90% of which are UK dives. In terms of dives per year it ain't world-shattering but you know how it gets with work committments.  

gotta admire those keen divers who have families, I don't know how you find the time
Chee-az
Steve
Cor, you've double my rate Steve.

Note to all budding divers. Never, EVER buy a house, stay living with your parents, cheaper rent etc. Spend money diving.  

Adrian

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Note to all budding divers. Never, EVER buy a house, stay living with your parents, cheaper rent etc. Spend money diving.  

I wish,,,,1980, my dad said , it's the forces , ferries or coal pits for me...... so he lent me the money to go to DIVE SCHOOL and get me ticket,,,,,,,,

Now i'm saying ,,,,,,,it's the forces ,,,,, to my 2 young boys ,,( 6 -7 ), but both wanna be RN Divers....... had to tell them to do well at school and do well on computers, because by the time they are 17 and can join the navy to be divers, they will be no such thing.... Get a ROV Pilots tickets, more jobs that way.

Andy

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Adrian, good to know I'm not the only one who can't find enough days in the month

Every year I set myself a target of doing 100 UK dives but there's always something cropping up, getting somewhere closer to it this year but I expect it's still gonna be challenging to find enough time.
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Note to all budding divers. Never, EVER buy a house, stay living with your parents, cheaper rent etc. Spend money diving
And stay single. It's much easier to keep your weekends (and weekdays, actually) free..

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ July 28 2003,10:47)]gotta admire those keen divers who have families, I don't know how you find the time
You let the kids learn to dive too and then they
a) want to go on dive holidays in places with warm blue water
b) understand that you are in fact a sad addict, take the p out of you relentlessly, and dont mind being left with Dad on some weekends whilst you go and jump into the sea in Britain!

Jules

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

1276 in 15 years, about half of which in Sweden, Norway and the UK, the rest in various fantastic places all over the world. I started late in life, the same year as my 50th birthday – didn't have the money or time when I was young (was too busy studying and starting a careeer). Still, Leni Riesenstahl (Hitler's favourite film photographer and the author of a couple of books on underwater photography and maker of several u/w films) learnt to dive in her mid seventies, is now over 100 and was still diving regularly at the age of 95 and is said to have done a dive shortly after her 100th birthday, so my target is to beat that.  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Geeee-zuss ! I didn't know she was still alive !

On a similar note, Confucious is alleged to have started his study of the I" Ching" at the age of 65, stating that until that age he wasn't ready for serious things.

chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The way I see it it isn't just the number of dives but the regularity of diving. I know many people who have many more dives than me but only dive two or three months per year. How can one compare with 21 dives a week in the red sea and and 21 dives in the UK throughout the year? Ideally one does both!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi all,

Howard, top observation, i like that one.

I've dived nearly every weekend this year and have only done 38, all UK. Maybe i missed some off. But 50 in a season is very good going. Of my 38 several have been quite tough, a few very tough, including 1 rescue during which i thought/was convinced i was going to lose him. Did 85 last year but 14 were a week in Tenerife, no hol this year at the moment.

Chris - Top observation, my feelings exactly and our experienced members in that zone are aware of that.

Dive Safe and Progress,

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ July 28 2003,20:30)]

230+ and 100% in the UK,
well i don't like flying
Still look on the bright side Wack at least you will never have to worry about flying after diving....  You might have to take it a bit easy with the altitude difference between the car park at the bottom and the road at the top at Babbacombe though  

Don't sweat it big guy, at least you can claim 100% UK and none of that namby pamby warm water, clear vis poofs diving in the red sea  

Catch up with you in the next week about August bank holiday just got to touch base with one person to sort out shared travel etc...

Daz

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I am still new enough to be sticking my computer in the mud and counting my dives. I remember Ann Marie saying I dont count number of dives I count number of hours in the water. I thaught this was stupid till I started doing trimix.

I used to do two dives a day but on trimix it's one big one. I do minumum 1hour 20 in the water and more like 1 hour 45 but it stil only counts as one dive.  

So this year my number of dives is only 45. This time last year I had done 72

I cant wait to get to 500 dives then I can just say I dont know? between 500-1000  
 only 230 to go. about three years I reckon.

Like others I am limited by my wife and kids, but I cant complain I dont do to bad.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I did my 100th dive of the year yesterday and a delight it was too.

200 for the year looks a trifle ambitious but as I have a little time off at the mo' anything is possible.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.