YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Well Balanced - Bitter and Twisted !!
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a diver go in the Air Ambulance from Capernwray on Sunday, no mension of it, hope all were well.

Regards

John

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Bubbleless
With regards to the title of your OP I know when two of our club members were involved in an incident involving having to be transported by helicopter to hospital the club Diving Officer had to complete an Incident Report form after a full debrief by the divers, to send to BSAC HQ.
I to was at Capers on Sunday and was under water when I heard the boat engine atop and saw the chopper later, where did it park in the end?

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
I saw a diver go in the Air Ambulance from Capernwray on Sunday, no mension of it, hope all were well.

Regards

John
Who do you want to mention it ? It will only be reported in the press if someone tells them. HumberCoastGuard on here will report incidents after a short interval if the CG has been involved.

The as Yazzy said if an incident is reported, incidents involving BSAC divers should be then they are compiled throughout the year and then published at the end of the year. Incident years runs October to September.

·
3,293 Posts
Hi

I stubbed my toe getting changed at Stoney on Saturday. Must remember to fill out the form :)

I am sure lots of incidents go unreported, although the major ones will mostly get caught due to the press coverage and emergency services involvement.

Andy

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I suspect the majority of minor incidents go unreported as nobody can be arsed with the paperwork and so on. Plus the attitude of "its ok now so why bother".

Also we read a lot about unsuccesful rescues (be it OOA, buoyancy issues etc) but i suspect a lot of things like that happen that end normally that also aren't reported.
The press are only interested really in spectacular death,gore or serious incidents. "My xyz ran out of gas and made a normal ascent with his buddy from 20m) wont exactly be news worth reporting.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Its i feel unfortunate that more incidents that are successfully dealt with are not covered, as i'm sure many drills work very well with little feedback on their efficiency.

Hi Ade, nice T-Shirt, i have a buddy who should have one of them ;)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Depends on what you mean by reported?

My recent bend didn't involve the coastguard as I was already back on land when I realised I was bent, I'm not part of a BSAC club so a form won't have been filled in by the DO yet I posted on YD....

·
Registered
12,795 Posts

My recent bend didn't involve the coastguard as I was already back on land when I realised I was bent, I'm not part of a BSAC club so a form won't have been filled in by the DO yet I posted on YD....
You don't have to be a member Mary. Anyone can self report. BSAC collate for the British Diving Safety Group. The form there is not quite so BSAC centric.

Adrian

·
Registered
138 Posts

How are you getting on after your bend?

Sal

·
Registered
455 Posts
To add to the start of this thread, I was at Capernwray on Saturday. Near the Breathe easy building a large white van (which may have been dive school) had a diver looking pretty distressed on O2. No one at the shop had been informed, and it appeared that the people with this diver wanted it kept quiet. I can understand that. But it would be a good idea to let the Staff at the site know that there was someone on site with problems. Just in case things got worse then things may be prepared in the event of an emergency call.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
You don't have to be a member Mary. Anyone can self report. BSAC collate for the British Diving Safety Group. The form there is not quite so BSAC centric.
I'd just like to re-inforce this.

Although BSAC collate the incidents, it's a multi-agency thing, and the more reports that are collected the better. (Assuming that doesn't come at the cost of more incidents of course!)

Janos

1 - 15 of 15 Posts