• No - I'm still smoking

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • N/a - I didn't smoke in the first place

Votes: 55 70.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
me, i gave up 5 months ago, as i took up running and only ever smoked at the pub, so i thought putting them both together it was about time.

I'm now a wholly reformed smoker and like to preach as often as possible.

·
Flaccid Member
5,410 Posts
Yeap!

I always said if the goverment brought a ban in, I would stop.
So when they announced it last year, I said bollocks and went off to chemists and signed up for the discount patches and brought some of those inhalators (for when the shit hits the fan moments and also just to get addicted to them instead).
I enjoyed smoking, but I could see the enjoyments of having a tab were slowly being chipped away, such as shopping centres banning it (one of the joys of shopping was the excuse of being able to stand outside a shop a having a tab whilst the wife looks at shoes).
Now even the pleasure of having a pint and smoke has gone as well, I'm glad I gave up when I did as smokers have now been turned into anti-social drug addicts, much like gas and glue sniffers :frown:
Good luck to anyone giving them up or aerosols :teeth:

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
There isn't a 'sort of' option. I got fed up with being turned into a social pariah (although I would have put myself in the 'considerate smoker' camp). My son nagged at me when he heard it was to be banned and there is nothing worse than a nagging 10 year old! So the impending ban was part of the reason but I didn't wait for July.

I haven't smoked since January 11th. :angel:

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
I quit 18 months ago (Jan 1st 2006) and just went cold turkey. After 20 years of smoking (15/20 a day) I found it actually pretty easy. No patches, gum just will power :) :)

I can't taste food any better, I do miss it from time to time but I don't cough in the morning anymore. I'm sure I am healthier for it but I don't preach to smokers and don't fully support the new ban.

Cheers

Graham :)

Reactions: Buoyant Babe

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
I was going to, but if I did that I'd have to give up alcohol (when the government tells me to), and junk food (when the government tells me to).

It was a shame about that second-hand smoke business, cuz that first-hand smoke - reeaaall nice :)

Reactions: Spike Jackson

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
I was going to, but if I did that I'd have to give up alcohol (when the government tells me to), and junk food (when the government tells me to).

I gave up in 2000, mainly because I couldn't afford it. Like Broady I found it surprisingly easy after 17 years and did it solely using willpower. The fourth day was the worst for some reason - it got much better after that.

Like Lazlo I thought I'd never be able to have a drink again without craving a cigarette, but I can. Granted for some considerable time after quitting I drank twice as much - having a drink in either hand meant I didn't miss holding a cigarette :)

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Well, it's been nearly 36 hours since my last one, at the gawd-knows-what attempt this year. Hopefully this time is it (like PV, I gave up years back, but started again 18 months ago, due to stress). Just drained my entire bank account to get my car fixed, so can't afford them. No more sure fire way, I guess? Got a load of gum and found that am not needing them as much as I thought. 36% Nitrox seems to get rid of the cravings though :angel:

O well, back to eating the entire canteen/supermarket's stash of crisps and carrots...... :embarassed: trying not to cough anymore crud out!

Lou

·
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...
384 Posts
Yes... but....

Taking up diving started me thinking about giving up, then the ban (in Ireland) made it easier to actually do it. I'm off them just over two years now, best thing I ever did, apart from get married (;-) and start diving of course!

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
yes I used the ban, and SWMBO and 6 year old daughter whinging at me and Kath2407 and Odin not stopping reminding me how bad it is for me.

stopped on 01 july properly and keep forgetting to put the patch on, not smoked though.

was surprisingly easy on saturday when i was out as the ban helps with the not associating beer and ciggies.

maybe I will beat the 2 year record this time.

·
The idiots idiot.
573 Posts
Nope, still a die-hard (maybe I should re-phrase that?) smoker.
Will probably quit at some point but because I want to and feel the time is right.
Definitely NOT because the nicotine Nazis decide yet another avenue of pleasure needs to be slammed shut..

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Apparently, the nicotine replacement thingys are available on the NHS. No-one told me that until it was too late. I think the payback is that you ahve to go on their support programme which involves meetings, but i might be wrong on that bit.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
2 weeks for me now so I've cracked it I think. Yes, the ban made me give up. I've been talking about it since I started again but this was the big incentive.

I don't feel any better. I feel a lot worse. But I have more money.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Nope not yet keep saying i will but not just yet the cost isn't an issue for me as living where i do they're extremely cheep :embarassed: but i would like to quit at some point

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Gave up about 4 months before the ban came in here, but it certainly made it a lot easier to go out to the pub after the ban. At least I wasn't constantly inhaling second hand and thinking about starting again.

·
Myth Buster
510 Posts
Wonder what the government will ban next...?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.