YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's bound to be a scientific person here, so my questionis:

How much lift does a sealed, plastic, typical 50 gallon oil drum have, if it's filled with air at ambient pressure and will sit on the surface of seawater?

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts

How much lift does a sealed, plastic, typical 50 gallon oil drum have, if it's filled with air at ambient pressure and will sit on the surface of seawater?
1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609188 litres

227kg?

At 50m, that is an Ali7 of air...

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its a steel drum they are usually 45 gallon or 205 lt but not seen a plastic one
Pete
ahh, ok Pete. They are exactly the same as far as i know but made from plastic..

For arguments sake, lets assume 45 gallon then. If it is a 50 gallon one then we'll have some bonus lift ;)

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I won't be taking it down, but use a block and pulley/winch system from the surface.

Depth would be about 15 metres ;)
That means you are going to have something that can hold 600kg to winch against. 2.5x227kg. Lot of scope for that failing and shooting to the surface.

If it is only 15m, why not flood it, so it weighs nothing, then take it down and fill it with air?

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That means you are going to have something that can hold 600kg to winch against. 2.5x227kg. Lot of scope for that failing and shooting to the surface.

If it is only 15m, why not flood it, so it weighs nothing, then take it down and fill it with air?

That may be an option, unless anyone has a couple of 1 tonne liftbags :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Simple!! Ask LOU!! :) :) She loves any thing like that!!:) :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
oil drums how much

i think gloc has it right
at that depth you can lower it down a line right to where you want it.
also think about adapting those sand bags from builders yards, they take loads.
cheers bob

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think gloc has it right
at that depth you can lower it down a line right to where you want it.
also think about adapting those sand bags from builders yards, they take loads.
cheers bob
ahhj, good idea. i have a few of those builders bags in my shed......

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
If you are planning on a block and pulley to pull the barrel down, then why not look at it the other way and use the drums to make a cradle that you winch the cannon up between.

With enough multiplying lines you could hook under something and winch up from the bottom, or just winch off sideways by hand or using the electric winch off a dive boat :D

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are planning on a block and pulley to pull the barrel down, then why not look at it the other way and use the drums to make a cradle that you winch the cannon up between.

With enough multiplying lines you could hook under something and winch up from the bottom, or just winch off sideways by hand or using the electric winch off a dive boat :D
That's what i meant originally. The oil drums stay on the surface and the blocks etc get attached between the "object" and the drum, and we winch away......

1 - 20 of 76 Posts