YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know I will get lots of amusing answers on this and lots of innuendo, but just one serious answer would be appreciated.

We are thinking of getting 2 - 4 hens and keeping them as egg layers / pets. I'm still looking into it and making sure we know exactly what to expect but one thing I can't get an answer on is how much noise they make.

We live on a cul-de sac, there are a few dogs, (which we never hear) so don't really want to be the neighbours with excessively noisy pets.

So far, I think this is the only sticking point as we have more than enough space for them and it is a pretty good environment - we gets lots of wildlife in the garden.

Thanks.

Right, queue the one liners...

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Paging Woz!!

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
I can't really answer your question... BUT I did once keep a chicken in a cardboard box overnight before giving it to someone as a birthday present.... It wasn't that noisey.

I'd like a chicken too. I had a look at these...
EgLu

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
A little when they lay [wouldn't you] ;) other than that they only make noise when a fox is around.

Don't get a cock though or you'll not be popular with the neighbours, also be aware they will attract rats and mice no matter how clean you keep them so put the run as far away from your house as possible.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
We have a couple of chickens in an Eglu. They just make a gently clucking sound normally. However when one of them nips into the Eglu to squeeze an egg out the other one stands outside and clucks loudly.

In the environment you describe you would be fine. I really like keeping ckickens. We have a fenced off barked area they scratch around in as especially in winter they will bugger your lawn up. And don't think an 8 foot fence around your garden in foxproof- it certainly isn't so we're on our 2nd pair of chickens.

I'd start off with 2 chickens as you'll get a couple of eggs per day from them and see how you get on.

The rats and mice problem is dealt with by having a dog and a monster cat that kills anything that squeaks, drags it into our bedroom and dismembers it under the bed. His current speciality is pregnant mice- finding foetuses round the bedroom is, um, interesting.

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
How much noise do people make...?

Chickens are individuals and have their own uniwue personality... I had a few that never used to make a sound unless they were alarmed or after theyd laid. But, I had one, Sharon who would squark non-stop for hours and hours and hours... She used to drive me up the wall...

Generally speaking you're ok, they aren't that noisy, but you may get a rogue like Sharon...!

I had a little cock too (fnar!), Cajun, neighbours actually liked the sound in the morning as "it was like being in the countryside...!"

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
How much noise do people make...?

Chickens are individuals and have their own uniwue personality... I had a few that never used to make a sound unless they were alarmed or after theyd laid. But, I had one, Sharon who would squark non-stop for hours and hours and hours... She used to drive me up the wall...

Generally speaking you're ok, they aren't that noisy, but you may get a rogue like Sharon...!

I had a little cock too (fnar!), Cajun, neighbours actually liked the sound in the morning as "it was like being in the countryside...!"

FFS in less than 5 minutes anybody in Chester can be 'in the countryside' Lache ,blacon, etc back onto countryside and even Hoole and newtown are not far from Mickle Trafford, guilden sutton etc .

bet they were scouse incomers:)

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,297 Posts
The chickens should be OK. I used to keep some for many years on the allotment and a few fancy breeds in the garden. Noise wise they're OK, they make less when housed up, and I would shut them in overnight. A "hawk hood" will shut up any bird (this is like a sock that you put over their head to keep out light).

They are now more or less banned from the allotments - but this was primarily due to the noise of the cockerals (and you can't run a flock without one - fertillised eggs for fresh birds) - you don't need fertillised eggs for eating and hens keep on ovulating (if you are unsure about this ask yer misses, but if you make sure to be well out of arms reach).

Best of luck

.... and a monster cat that kills anything that squeaks, drags it into our bedroom and dismembers it under the bed.....
Errm, anyone seen Mini Woz recently? Paging MW!!

LOL, Paul

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
THe ONLY thing guaranteed to piss the neighbours off is a rooster, so don't go there.

Otherwise, go for a heavy breed, like an Orpington, Australorp (if you can get them), Light Sussex, Rhode Island Red, etc. They are quiet, good layers and not flighty; unfortunately, they will go broody every so often but all you need do is knock together a broody cage (like the Cooler in the Great Escape) and they soon get sick of that idea.

Leghorns, an Italian breed are very good layers and never go broody but make a racket, a more agile and nervous and more likely to jump fences etc, whereas the heavy breeds will be constrained quite happily by a 5 foot high fence, especially if you clip the primary feathers on one wing.

If you are confining them in a run, put a roof over it to keep the rain off and put some shavings down. Semi free range and only 3 or 4 and you'll have no problem. You can also rotate them through a veggie patch, divide it into 1/4s and let them poke around in the bit you've just harvested, they'll eat out all the snails, insects and a lot of weed seeds/seedlings and fertilise the soil for you.

Don't forget griut though, shell grit and hard grit.

Chooks are pretty cool actually.

·
6,434 Posts
if you want to piss the neighbours off, get guinea fowl :teeth:

I had some of them but the Devils got em.. noisy or what? I lay in bed listening to the Devil getting his teeth into them....what a racket and to be honest, I wasn't sorry it happened.

Turkeys would come a close second too, plus they do huge sticky turds. Ours used to attack our (then) three year old whenever he was wearing gumboots, which, with Turkey Turds everywhere, was most of the time. They've got strong necks too. Not that strong when it's getting close to Xmas though.

·
Wrecking the Plan
569 Posts
4 Chicks

Had 4 chickens and advice given so far is about right
I had ex battery hens on point of lay (cost about £2.45each) They were your common or garden brown variety (?) and layed about 3 eggs a day ........which adds up !
Fenced area of about 8 metres by 4 with a three foot fence and a lockable hutch for night time. The important thing is to clip them....which means cutting the feathers off one wing (cannot get any lift to fly then !......its painless and stops lost chickens)
They became family pets and would when let into the garden happily follow you around in a group.......even got to the stage when on a whistle they would all run up to the fenced area ready to be lifted over for the night
Life span 3 years and loads of eggs which with the right grit and all the spare food off the table will be golden yellow and more free range than anything you can buy! Just don't keep them in the fridge as it ruins eggs!
Rats are a downside as they eventually show up but the local catcher will trap them out in a week
Great pet and the only noisy one would be a rooster .......which you don't need for eggs
Good luck
db

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ask B......her landlady has a whole flock (can you have a flock of chickens?)......including 4 very noisy cockerells....although i notice they seem to be missing now and B made me chicken for tea the other night......she assures me that the landlady removed them....but im not to sure!!!:teeth:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I'm currently making a foxproof chicken coop. Actually two, a small one with a three hens for eggs. The larger one is an old commercial greenhouse with 400m2, I've taken the plasctic off and will place a net instead. There Will be the chickens to kill for food as well as some ducks and maybe bunnies. All for the pot. I live in the country so moise is not a problem, the noisy ones tend to be the cockerels though.

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

Looks like we are going to go ahead with it once I've made the coop.

Just got the dilema now of trying to find a local breeder or nipping round to my local chicken farm to see if I can rescue a few from the warehouses they have.

·
6,434 Posts
Rats are a downside as they eventually show up but the local catcher will trap them out in a week
Best bet to deal with them is to put some rodenticidal baits down, in 4" drain pipes to protect them from the weather, chooks and your dog (if applicable). That way, you knock down each and everyone that comes near.

You can also buy wax block baits, which are safe outdoors in the open, chooks, birds, dogs, cats, kids etc don't find them palatable and they are water resistant too, they have a hole in the middle so you can nail them to the fence, at ground level. If there's a "take", you can see the gnaw marks in it.

If you can get it, Brodifacoum is the best one, although I think it's only available to licenced peest controllers in the UK, we can buy it in the supermarket here, sold as "Talon". Warfarin is pretty hopeless on rats these days and even back in the early 80's when I had some involvement in pest control in the UK, mice in most areas had acquired immunity to warfarin too.

·
6,434 Posts
I thought you were supposed to keep eggs in the fridge! How does it ruin them?:confused:
2 opposing schools of thought:

1. Refrigeration prevents multiplication of any Salmonella which get in via cracks, faecal contamination etc
  2. Cold eggs aren't as good for cooking with as room temp, won't mix into cakes, batter, meringues etc.

My thoughts are that I'd rather the cook takes em out to warm up for 30 mins, rather than the rest of us risking potentially fatal and at the very least very painful, debilitating and unpleasant illness.

A high %age of Salmonella cases we've investigated over here in the last 12 months have featured raw eggs as an ingredient in the patients recent food history.

The silly thing is that ANZFA still have no requirement in the Aus Food Safety Standards for eggs on sale to be refrigerated, they sit on the shelf at room temperature, yet the advice to the customer from State food safety authorities is to refrigerate them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts