YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

hi all

im just building  my twinset rig up with twin 12s and a halcyon 55lb wing with stainless plate.

any ideas on weight to start with, i currently have 16 kg with bcd and a 12 with pony along with northern diver divemaster suit and a thermal undersuit im also 14 st.

thanks for any help

chris

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK, I dive with 10 kilos with just my twin 6s (closest I can get to a single 12 I'm afraid) and no plate, no gubbins, just me and the tanks really, in a compressed neoprene suit.

WIth the twin 12s and SS plate I need about 6 kilos to be ok, 8 kilos to be comfortable with a far few stops to do at the end of the dive. I'd rather be slightly, and I mean slightly, overweight at the end of the dive so I can pop a bit more air in the suit to keep me warm for stops.

I'd reccomend you tart with 6kg, and work up. Depending on the tanks, plate and other gubbins you take with you, you could realistically need anywhere from 6-10 kilos.

Remember to set you weighting with only the stuff you'd have on for diving, leave off removable items that may go in an emergency (stages, torches, all the rest of it). If you are using steel stages, you'll find yourself more negative at the start of the dive, but byt he end of the ive or ifyou need to ditch them, they'll be neutral pretty much.

Oh, and I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs I'm sure, but do a check with your tanks empty. And I mean almost completely empty, sa the last thing you need when it's all gone horrendously wrong and you've got diddly squat left, or you've had a freeflow and lost it all, is not being able to hold a stop. I can handle an OOA buddy, but one that can't stay down is going to be a real pain.

Hope this helps.

Digs.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Just to show you how much things can varie from diver to diver:

I weigh 92kg (about 14 stone) and I carry 4kg of lead with my CD wing and SS back plate.

I have an 03 5m Neopreen Dry suit with fourth element base layor.

In the winter I use a 200g Thinsulate as well and I have to carry 6kg of lead and my SS back plate. The extra 2kg obviously to compensate for the under suit.

Sooooooo in answer to your question. The only way is to check it out is to have a go in a puddle of sea water preferably. Horsea is a good spot or any calm shore dive type place.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Founder Member of the 'Viet Taff'
1,523 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Weight is a huge variant between divers. I have twin 12's and ali plate in a 5mm 03 and an artic Fourth Element and I don't need any weight at all. I can hold all stops without any trouble. It take time to get the weight right and as Mark Chase suggests get somewhere shallow and work it out - just make sure you can hold stops at the END of the dive with the cylinders down to say 50 bar

If you don't need it, don't carry it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts