YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>OK, when I was as the dive show I spotted Diving World they were not originally on the exhibitor list so I picked up one of their brochures as I am going on AndyP's trip next April.  

Looking through the brochure I came across a trip on a new boat called Evolution which will be launched in October 2004.  The trip is a two week one starting from Hurgharda, days 4 -11 will be diving the Sudan sites.  The cost is likely to be in the region of £2100 - £2300 depending on the time of year.  I have spoken to Diving World and he has told me the best times are April or October / November.  Possibility of Mantas and Hammerheads.  

Would anyone fancy this trip or is it too expensive ?

Only a question at this stage. This would be for 2005

Fiona

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I think you should be able to get cheaper than that, you can dive tanzania/mozambique/zanzibar region for about £1200-£1400 for two weeks

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Steve

Sorry obviously didn't explain myself, I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in the trip, I will be going propably looking at October 2005.

Sudan is a must do destination and this takes out the logistical problems of entering the Sudan.  It's the location, location, location as they say.

Fiona

·
Registered
178 Posts
Imported post

Fiona check out Conda Vanessa L'aboard in port Sudan. haven't done it (yet) myself, but I keep hearing very positive reviews and it's likely to be a bit less expensive. I think you shouldn't spend more than £2k for 2 weeks, probs £1.6-7k with a bit of research. I would advise you to get a safe operator who will whisk you straight from the airport into the boat and back, as the Sudan is pretty high up the list of "explosion prone" countries if you get my driftdive..

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

The trouble with all the other boats is that you have to go via Cario and I can't be bothered changing.

This is the only trip that goes from Egypt.

FB

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Not to p*ss on yer bonfire here Fi, but folk might want to ask themselves whether they could or would want to spend a full two weeks on-board a boat?

I know it doesn't sound much (and I speak from over 2 and a half years' experience of doing precisely this in the Maldives when I lived and worked there), but there is a hell of a difference between one and two weeks 'cabin'd' with the same ship's compliment for that length of time. Apart from 'cabin-fever', if there are any 'issues' which might arise between anyone on aboard, then normal, job-a-day office wallahs (hereinafter referred to as 'land-lubbers'), i.e. the majority of us who might make the trip, are not best placed to handle same. Some folk decay into the "I wanna get off and I wanna get off NOW!" syndrome, and that's not always possible when you're 150 nautical miles sou'sou'west of Port Sudan!

Meeting folks for a week long gig can be (as was proved by the recent YD event out of Sharm) a hoot and a giggle, but you need a resigned discipline to do two weeks of hard yakka diving (sometimes 4 or 5 dives a day) and go the full two weeks. Somebody will end up getting on some one else's nerves and then it can become like the UN picnic crossed with a 'Chinese Parliament'; that's if it doesn't go noisy before hand.

Not wanting to put anyone off; more a case of making folks aware of some of the things which can arise on what should be a mass dive and giggle-fest.

And my own two-penneth: if I'm spending two weeks with a like-minded dive-tribe, then Africa (Moz/SA pref) is the jaunt I'd choose: even the most hard-core diver will turn round at some stage and say 'bollocks to diving to day, I fancy an XYZ........'; and if that 'XYZ.......' is the precincts and confines of your shipmates and the same old deck-spaces, then you might just wish you'd opted for a land-based gig where, as in Africa, you can go and sod-off and do the Wild Game Parks, big game fishing, horse-back rides along the beach at midnight etc.

Like I say, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Nov. 21 2003,16:13)]Not to p*ss on yer bonfire here Fi, but folk might want to ask themselves whether they could or would want to spend a full two weeks on-board a boat?

Meeting folks for a week long gig can be (as was proved by the recent YD event out of Sharm) a hoot and a giggle, but you need a resigned discipline to do two weeks of hard yakka diving (sometimes 4 or 5 dives a day) and go the full two weeks. Somebody will end up getting on some one else's nerves and then it can become like the UN picnic crossed with a 'Chinese Parliament'; that's if it doesn't go noisy before hand.

Not wanting to put anyone off; more a case of making folks aware of some of the things which can arise on what should be a mass dive and giggle-fest.

<font color='#0000FF'>Bren

Thanks for your comments, however having spent a great 2 weeks on a liveaboard in the Maldives this year and getting along with everyone for about 95% of the time, I don't think the length of time is all that important.

Being on a liveaboard is like eveyday life, if someone gets on your nerves then you walk away and take time out.

I posted this in case someone else might be interested and like myself is single and would enjoy the company of people you sort of know.  I have  done liveaboards for a week and not known anyone on board, there was only one person I would have been happy not to have been there as she did get on my nerves and unfortunatley she was my cabin buddy, worse thing was she was also my cabin buddy the following year.

So we will call an end to this thread, as I don't need to know where else I can go for less money.

Thanks for everyones input.

Fiona

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Nov. 21 2003,16:13)]Not to p*ss on yer bonfire here Fi, but folk might want to ask themselves whether they could or would want to spend a full two weeks on-board a boat?

<font color='#0000FF'>Bren

Thanks for your comments, however having spent a great 2 weeks on a liveaboard in the Maldives this year and getting along with everyone for about 95% of the time, I don't think the length of time is all that important.

Being on a liveaboard is like eveyday life, if someone gets on your nerves then you walk away and take time out.

I posted this in case someone else might be interested and like myself is single and would enjoy the company of people you sort of know.  I have  done liveaboards for a week and not known anyone on board, there was only one person I would have been happy not to have been there as she did get on my nerves and unfortunatley she was my cabin buddy, worse thing was she was also my cabin buddy the following year.

So we will call an end to this thread, as I don't need to know where else I can go for less money.

Thanks for everyones input.

Fiona

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Fiona, first of all, Sudan is a fantastic diving destination, as good as anywhere I've been, and I've been to a lot of wonderful places.
Secondly, I agree that 2 weeks on a liveaboard is no problem. You soon learn who you like and who you don't like and avoiding the latter on modern, spacious liveaboards is not difficult. I once spent 3 weeks on a liveaboard (starting from Eritrea, then to Yemen, on to Sudan and back to Eritrea) and enjoyed every moment of it.
Thirdly, I think the price is a bit steep. Friends of mine recently did an excellent 2-week trip on the Connda Venessa and were so satisfied that they've already booked again for next year.
Finally, flying via Cairo is evidently no problem. You only spend an hour or so in Sudan, a country in which no-one with any sense would want to spend any length of time. Sailing from Hurghada, it would take you several days to get to Sudan and as long again to get back to Hurghada at the end of the trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts