YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here's a quz for you. I'm just quoting a job where I have to make a frame up that's basically the same size as, say, the base frame of a cot. Now I'm having it made from something called Hastelloy C2000. Now Hastelloy is a bit like stainless steel but without the steel in it- it's a nickel-chromium alloy.

So. This frame is like a square figure 8 like you get on a calculator and from top to bottom is about a metre, and from side to side is about 400mm. To give you an idea, in normal bog standard steel it costs about £100.

So. How much do you reckon, then, in Hastelloy. I'll give you a clue. The price starts with a 1.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
OK here's a quz for you. I'm just quoting a job where I have to make a frame up that's basically the same size as, say, the base frame of a cot. Now I'm having it made from something called Hastelloy C2000. Now Hastelloy is a bit like stainless steel but without the steel in it- it's a nickel-chromium alloy.

So. This frame is like a square figure 8 like you get on a calculator and from top to bottom is about a metre, and from side to side is about 400mm. To give you an idea, in normal bog standard steel it costs about £100.

So. How much do you reckon, then, in Hastelloy. I'll give you a clue. The price starts with a 1.
£1 ?

Am I close?

Danny

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hmmm..I remember some of the exotic material prices from the time I worked in a large refinery, and Hasteloy is one of the more expensive, corrosion resistant types (from memory)...

I'd go for either 10 times the price (£1000) or possibly even 100 times (£10,000), but both are guesses.

I do remember being utterly shocked at the price of some alloys...

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
1900 quid

waht do i know about steels FFS i'm more of a copper person myself.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
ive just been looking at the ingredient analasis of this metal based on pure guess work as i dont have engineering drawings or costings and quotes i recon £1400:wink:

ok alex u can flame me now lol!

ps this is the metal used in waste management i think !! and made by haynes international ?

·
Registered
563 Posts

Woz, if Hastelloy is too expensive, have you considered Outokumpu 254 ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.