YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>How old was you when you first learned to dive?
I was 14 and i still am!

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>32 when I started ........ still learning (I hope)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Free diving 9
Snorkle & Mask diving 11
Muff diving 17
Scuba diving 25

I was a late developer  

MArk Chase

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

I was 17/18, which looking back I am glad I didn't discover diving until then. I was far too immature at 14 to do what I was doing at 17, though I don't know what the limits on Kids' diving is.

Chris

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I got my OW cert one month before my 50th birthday!!!

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tibbs @ Dec. 17 2003,18:07)]I was 17/18, which looking back I am glad I didn't discover diving until then. I was far too immature at 14 to do what I was doing at 17, though I don't know what the limits on Kids' diving is.

Chris
<font color='#8D38C9'>17 too.  My parents weren't divers - my mum can't swim and my dad has ear trouble.  Had to wait until I was old enough to drive myself around.  Had snorkelled since I was 7 though thanks to a chap we met on a family holiday who was a diver.

There have been plenty of discussions on Internet forums elsewhere (e.g. Scubaboard) about how old one should be to dive - its not just pschological maturity but also physical development etc. etc.  Slightly off topic, the CDG has a lower limit of 18 for legal reasons.

Duncan

·
Founder Member of the 'Viet Taff'
1,523 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>18 (which is a few years ago) and with BSAC, did the very old A test. I did the weight belt swim mainly underwater surfacing occasionally for a gulp of air. Like someone else mentioned still learning, trying different kit, open to new ideas and types of diving.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

My first try-dive was at about 10 but I didn't start training until I was 19.

Still diving 16 years later.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

38 and learned with my son Matt who was 12 at the time, bethi did her OW when she was 11.:D

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Always wanted to dive, even as a young child, but never got round to doing anything about it (apart from a try-dive in Australia when I was 25) until my wife booked me in for a course at the local pool - that was five years age, and although I don't dive as often as I'd like, I can't imagine not diving.
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
124 Posts
Imported post

I as 19 when I learnt.  Was in Isreal doing the whole kibbutz thing and hey there was the Red Sea just waiting for me.  I even went on a livaboard down to Sharm.  Nama Bay didn't even exist then.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

I was 14. Did my first dive in 1978 with my Dad on Long Island in the Bahamas on holiday. First UK dive was also in 1978 in the River Ure at Boroughbridge hunting for bottles. Had a home made and badly fitting wetsuit. Viz was nil until you were 6 inches of the bottom at which time you could see 6 inches. We had to hold hands the whole time. I came up more excited from that dive than from all the Bahamas dives and could not wait to get back into the water

Cheers

Simon Nash

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Dec. 17 2003,17:43)]Free diving 9
Snorkle & Mask diving 11
Muff diving 17
Scuba diving 25

I was a late developer  
What, for muff diving??  

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Started with 9

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I was 16 and on holiday on the Barrier reef with parents. When I got back I joined my local BSAC. My daughters 4 and she comes snorkelling, and says when she's older she'll dive like daddy. (We'll see).

gareth

1 - 20 of 21 Posts