YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have one of the Waterproof Draco drysuits and after using it yesterday for the first time in a pool its a little 'damp' inside :embarassed:

I'm going to be using it at Horsea tomorrow and Friday and hoped it would dry a little before then.

Any advice? Should I be trying to turn it inside out? I haven't tried yet as I'm a little worried about damaging the zip in the process...

Any advice gratefully received :)

·
Mod 2.5 apparently
703 Posts
I turn mine inside out no problem just be careful with the zip, i also use when needed dampire in the boots .

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts

I have the earlier version of the suit which is slightly thicker I think.

It is possible to turn it inside out as far as the crotch easily .... much further than that and you start to run into difficulty with the boots.

The downside of these suits is that they do take a little more effort to dry but what I used to do was turn it as inside out as I could and leave it in a warm room over night. This generally dries any perspiration out.

If it's leaking take it back ..... it says 100% Waterproof on the back and it should be :D

HTH
Mal

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys - I'll give it a go...

Mal, the suit's not leaking - just me :)

Ok - job done. Inside out as far as the ankles and drying nicely in the breeze as we speak. Thanks all!

·
Life is rushing past!
1,206 Posts
You may find that the boots won't quite dry like that, I had a leak and it took a long while to dry the boots, I now use a hair dryer on a very low heat setting to get the dampness out of them.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts
I hang mine up in the garage with the zip open. Used to use newspaper in the boots to dry them better, but now i use Dryzone absorbant thingys which work well.

HTH, Al

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I dump mine in a heap and go dive it at the next opertunity.
A little damp doesn't matter.

When you're leaving it for more than a fortnight (you're in jail or in hospital or something else that really stops you diving) hang it up by the boots with the zip wide open so it doesn't grow fuzzy bits.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
i have them as well and they work a treat

Graham

·
Registered
268 Posts
Kitty Litter

I use cat litter in old socks:cat: . Fill the sock, tie up the end, and stuff into the toe ends. Works a treat.

The trick is, though, to make sure you remove all the lumps of pooh first:)

Phil

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hang mine up in the garage with the zip open. Used to use newspaper in the boots to dry them better, but now i use Dryzone absorbant thingys which work well.

HTH, Al
I did think of using newspaper, but dryzone sounds better, as I don't buy papers!

Tempted as I am to say don't piss in it in the first place I will resist making that comment.

Chris
I was waiting for that allegation, and I utterly refute it :) I was so hot and dehydrated at the end of it I doubt I could have if I'd tried...

When you're leaving it for more than a fortnight (you're in jail or in hospital or something else that really stops you diving) hang it up by the boots with the zip wide open so it doesn't grow fuzzy bits.
Being new to all this I've been led to believe that only BSAC divers grow fuzzy bits, usually around the facial area?

I have some of this stuff and it dries bootgs and legs out a treat.

Dampire Dryzone in Accessories,General from Simply Scuba
Excellent link! The instructor did mention this yesterday, but didn't mention the name - I'll get some :)

As it happens the boots are fairly dry anyway and the chest, arms and legs have dried in the morning breeze, so comfy for tomorrow now :) No chlorine smell on the inside either, so I'm confident there were no leaks involved..

Thanks to all that replied :thumbs_up:

I'd pass out some of these forum rep thingies if I knew how!

·
I see fragged people
682 Posts

HTH, Al
My vote is with Dampire - Dryzone i find them very useful especially if your camping and diving and dont have space to hang your suit to dry.

Worth the twenty quid.

Eddy

·
Registered
7,628 Posts

what Nigel said.

Stink is just a part of life. You get used to it.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
I turn it inside out as far as possible then fill a pair of old socks with kitty litter and put them inside the boots.Usually

for the last few weeks it has lived in the back of the car so the aircon has been drying it out for me:)

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I use Dampire, which costs somewhere in the region of £18 a pair of sausage shaped things.

Silicone kitty litter is the same stuff and a bag of that (about 7.6 litres) costs about £7.

Hmmm.... now where did i put the sewing machine :D

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
Dampire again. Splendid product.
S.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
I now use a hair dryer on a very low heat setting to get the dampness out of them.
I would worry about any heat, but I get distracted and I know I would forget it was on. :)

but I use a 4 inch computer fan gaffer taped to two bits plastic pipe one fits in each boot. it makes no noise I just leave it on over night the air draft seems dry suit just fine.

David

1 - 20 of 33 Posts